Ticking Noise..

Last night finally finished putting on the new turbo and so forth…

Before the turbo broke i heard this ticking noise in the engine bay… it happend right after i got tunned and could finally put a load on the engine… i thought it was the turbo and 2 days the thing broke…

so last night i start the car up and rev it up a bit, and the noise is still there…
it sounds like to me a valve/lifter tick to me but i am not sure…

here is a video of the noise …

Right Click save as

its about 9 secs after then again at 12 and at the end…

what do you think it is?

You sure its not a misfire?

again:
it’s spelled tuning.

actually, sounds exactly like my subaru did when i spun a rod bearing.
you’re fucked.

lol newman

seriously. it would only knock when i let off the gas and let it spin down. ran fine and boosted fine otherwise. They pulled open the motor and found catastrophic damage.

not good

that sounds BAD. sound like it’s coming from the bottom end?

no, top.

Sounds like a rod bearing to me. Sounds just like when I spun the bearings in my Starion…never good.

HOWEVER, it could also be spark knock/detonation. But it truly sounds like rod knock.

Poor Dr Dos

:frowning:

You mentioned in the other thread, that you had removed the Oil Sump, and cleaned it out. When you reinstalled it, did you align the sump tube with the pump correctly, and+or replace the seal/o-ring that seals the sump to the oil pump? My buddy chuck did this on his Conquest but failed to replace the o-ring to the sump. Pump sucked in air, and bearings ran dry, spun bearings. Also, if this noise was around around the time of when the 1st turbo gave up, it could have been from oil starvation? Maybe it’s too late? Just some food for thought.

could also be a stuck / noisy lifter?

shoulda stayed stock

it is a knock. my tech thinks dos may be lucky and its valve float i however think its rodknock. it also has a whole bunch of random misfire codes

+1

that doesn’t sound like a valve tick…

i kno that sound allllll too well…rod bearing (s). u think its the top end, but its not. trust me, i fucked around with mine for a week thinking it was the top end and tried figuring out what it was. then Fuzzy came over and we drained the oil and there was a shitload of metal in it.

heres my theory of what happened to your car:
u spun a rod bearing (s) --> metal shaving go into the oil --> oil goes into turbo --> metal shavings in oil fuck with turbo --> turbo goes kaboom

with how “hard” the sound seems i’m going with a rod knock.
sounds just like a little piston slapity slap slap on the head.

spun rod bearing alowing for the piston to tap the head=you thinking its in the top end.

wow man, you just keep getting fucked

i dont wanna be dick but i think you may have jinx’d yourself with saying how many ppl have reliably turbo’d these cars

lol… is the squishband that narrow?