blown turbo thoeries

well as most of you know my turbo b lew out on sat night… and a bunch of people have been asking me what happened. to tell you the truth we are not 100% sure but we have came up with a few different theories…

1. remember when I had that dp fitment problem? well we kindof made it work and pryed evreything together. my mechanic belives that there was to much stress on the turbo . it being bent upwards a bit caused the turbine wheel to smack against the housing. which does make a lot of sense…

2. another thoery that mike at innovative thought up with was that the bolts on the comperssor housing backed out. I first started hearing the ticking noise after the car was tunned. so I belive that since I finally got to boost the car, the way it was supouse to the heat caused the bolts to back out…

3. the bov I got (turbosmart adjustable) from day one was not opening up right. so the first bight I had it back out we cut the spring in the bov to losen it up. after a day or two the bov started to open up abd close the way it was meant to do. the day that I did blow my turbo b4 hand after a good 2nd gear pull there was bov sound at all. so I’m not sure if that could of caused the peproblem.

4. the turbo was defective

well there you have it. that’s all we could think of to what happened . choice one that makes most sence to you

Well, what did it look like when you took it off to inspect it?

Posting pics of the damaged area could help also.

whats “blown”

seals?
did you kill one of the wheels?

:word: what did it look like

X3

Sounded to me like the Lex ate a compressor wheel from what he said.

I hold with Mike’s theory. Most turbos DO NOT come shipped with those bolts tight for ease of setting the clock postion. It is a common mistake not to check those if the turbo is clocked properly on shipment…either way, it sucks.

daily driver project car = lose.

but “blowing a turbo” can mean a few things. is there impact inside the housings? or is it an oil leak?

sounds like its fucked up bad

:word:

What happened the first time your car blew up? It may give clues as to what happened this time…

“no way i’m going custom setup, this kit is teh best all teh lexus guys say so”

-dos

^^lol, this current setup must be costing near 10k

obviously without pictures this is kind of useless. However, you give a few clues here.

1. The BOV was not working as designed. You proceeded to modify a properly engineered part to work otherwise.

2. The noise started AFTER said modifications and tuning. First off were the compressor bolts loose??? If the compressor bolts were loose you could move the compressor by hand. If not then I would not suspect the cover.

3. Is there shaft play? Is there an oil leak…

Here is my educated opinion WITHOUT seeing the turbo and setup or never having even seen the car.

You had some sort of boost leak, causing the turbine to be over spun. Having a boost leak would cause you to boost less and consequently you would not hear the BOV as you are not flowing enough air. This boost leak, where ever it was, over a small amount of time would damage the thrust bearing in the turbo causing some axial play, allowing the shaft to move and wheels to contact the housings. Thus the noise and damaging the turbo…

Again, this is an educated GUESS based on the info you have given out here without ever seeing the car. Take it for what its worth. I dont think that the cover was loose as you would have noticed it move when it was off the car. It doesn’t take much effort to move the cover at all.

I would like to see the turbo. I will inspect it for you if you like and give you an experienced opinion considering I have dealt with these issues before.

Also…Slipstream has had this happen to him about 3 times now

I haven’t seen pics or heard what the damage to the turbo is, but when you came here originally I could hear the blades hitting the housing under any sort of load, even while cruising. In the past I’ve seen customers come in with this issue for a few different reasons:

Housing bolts being loose.
Housing bolts torqued unevenly so the housing doesn’t seat right.

If things were pryed and forced into place I could see a housing being misaligned in relation to the center section.

All of those things would leave the wheels and shaft in balance but a wheel or both of them could brush against the housing(s).

If the shaft got bent during the prying I doubt the turbo would have lasted as long as it did, so I’m guessing it’s one of the first three.

If you’re lucky a standard rebuild plus a new wheel or wheels will fix it. If the housing or housings were damaged it may be cheaper to replace the whole turbo.

^^jyea

as everyone else said, You need to provide more details… as always.

:werd:

:mamoru:

That’s what i was also thinking, wouldent it have happend in the first place? i was driving the car around for a week before it was tunned , and the noise dident start hapening till after the tune.

The rebuilt is fully coverd by Turbonectis… It Comes w/ a one year no hassle no questions asked warrenty. and it was shipped out today…

So sorry guys i have no pics…

I never thought of that thoery before… but when i was boosting it on the stock spring my gauge was reading at 6-7 psi the way it was supose to . I dont belive i had a boost leak in there due to the fact the gauge was reading accurate. But that thoery does make alot of sense.

lol, i wish i would of gone custom now, PFS sucks.

yes it does suck

You can still boost 6-7 no problem that turbo would support a hell of alot more. The thing with boost leaks are that while you are seeing 6-7 psi in the manifold, the turbo is spinning so fast that it is outputting enough air to create double that or more. Due to the leaks in the system and a wastegate you are only able to reach XXX psi. Boost leaks = dead turbos.

This is Carnut accidently posting on Garys name