Fuc*in turbo blew up

yup…exactly what I just said…bearings are fucked. Turbo moves side to side, up and down bla bla every way possible…nothing blew apart but the bearings are so shot, the compressor blades scraped out the inlet housing…

why did this happen? and how can I fix it…kinda sick to my stomach right now about the whole thing…the turbo wasnt cheap.

was that the funny noises it was making?

yup…

scraped up everything…doesnt look like anything is bent tho.

Does anyone know if synapse rebuilds turbo’s??

I am confused. What exactly is moving? If the actual turbo is moving side to side and up and down then your install is f0ked. Do you mean the compressor? How does it move in all those directions as it sits within the housing?

Very important. Is every piece of the compressor/turbine intact?

To fully know, you need to have the turbo pulled apart to see inside. Is it possible there was an oil shortage? Did you overspin it? IE ton of boost leaks?

Where did you get it? Might be warrantied.

I assume not. There’s plenty of places that will pull it apart and rebuild it. T-series turbos are old school so maybe an upgrade is a better option given you can get a similiar size turbo for $1000 or so.

I say part out and trade it in stock for the SS. With the money you make from the part out you could pay off a good portion of the SS and you’ll probably get better mileage with the SS anyway… soo

return to stock… get the ss.

the whole turbine/compressor shaft moves every way possible…

everything SEEMS to be intact…but i need to take the turbo off to double check it.

I really dont think I had a oil shortage…could be possible tho. I run 60 psi at idle and 75 when in drive…

earlier today I blew off a coupler under full boost…happened a few times this week…I ended up having to roll all my intercooler pipe edges to stop them from blowing off…my t-bolts werent doing their job.

synapse does not rebuild…your best bet is the maker of the turbo…or there is a place on warehouse row rd in colonie…(i think thats the road) it’s off everett…they rebuild diesel turbos…they may be able to help…

p.s got to pay to play…it sucks…i had an air filter fuckin kill my turbo

:+1

You know the rules
There is : Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick two.

fuck dude im sorry… you wouldve RAPED the evo from a highway pull… no doubt if everything was running kosher. i took care of business tho son… DO WORK get er fixed man… u gotta be unique. TURBO V6 FTW.

You really won’t know until you pull it apart.

aw hell. today is like the day of damage to us. u got a blown turbo, i fucked up a rim… damnit all, damnit all to hell

and a certain red evo LOST…to a certain slipping clutch, stock exhaust STi. :banana

I knew once I got on the highway and I was only holding 10psi and my car was missifiring something major was wrong…

sucks man. I like to be different and thats i sold my VR to get into another 8V. So if it was ME i would fix the turbo and keep rollin w. the V6T. Yah an SS would be fun, but its like every other SS… how many people have a V6T Camaro??. exactly :slight_smile: fix it an keep up the good work.

on a good note, my car is good now and runs like a champ… both of you fix your stuff and keep doin w0rk!

Go to stock and get the SS :banana

an SS is kind of expensive, i feel like you would be starting all over to try and get an SS

I know you really want the SS and I dont blame you but I rather see you keep the Turbo Camaro for reasons previously stated.

When your charge pipes pop loose you lose pressure. The wastegate slams shut and sends your turbo spinning to the moon. This probably shouldnt have killed your turbo but it could have been a lil too much of beating than it was up to.

Turbonetics TC76 :number1

Synapse does not rebuild turbochargers but I do. VSR balancing is a key feature.

Chances are if you overspeeded the CHRA you did damage to the turbine shaft and compressor that cannot be repaired without replacement. If the compressor and turbine made contact, it lost material and is out of balance for sure and the inducer/exducer are now going to be out of their efficiency range even if they are VSR balanced and reused. If you lost the bearings at speed as well, the turbine shaft is guaranteed to be worn out of spec.

Realistically the turbo needs to be disassembled and mic’ed out to reference the damage before any repair could be justified. Realistically from hearing what you did and my experience with rebuilding these things I think you’re going to be looking at a new unit for the cost to rebuild that one.