Time for a re-build......

So I found a kink/stretch in my timing chain.
I think the last time I broke a rocker arm, it damaged the chain on the way to the pan. I found that aluminum finger from next to the crank timing gear in the pan, and it probably binded on that and did the damage to the chain before breaking off.

Anyway, it’s time for a new chain and new piston rings from the blow-by I’ve been getting. The blow-by has been causing some gas-in oil so i’m thinking new bearings while I’m in there.

I have to start reading/researching now, then order the parts.
If anyone has some good reads, some good sites, or some good advice, I’d love to hear it.

I’ve heard lots about the SR oil starvation issues, but are the oil pumps actually weak, or is it just the head design? I’m wondering if I should go ahead and replace the water and oil pumps, as who knows how many km’s are on the originals.

The timing chain “kit” provides a new crank gear, but should I worry about damage/wear on the cam gears from the kinked chain?

It sucks, but I think I’m done for the season.
The car needs to be re-wired, there are some other issues I’d like to address, and now the re-build. The car needs some rust work on the strut towers, etc.
So I’m going to take my time and not worry about getting it finished asap.

I’ll be doing the work, and this will be my first engine build.
I’m sure I’m capable of doing it, I just want to make sure I have everything covered and go about it the right way.
Links = Win :wink:

Good luck on the build man. I dunno if this will help

Can you post up some info on what was in your motor… I’am doing a similar build and I want to comparo…

JE 9:1 pistons
Eagle rods
Tomei 256 cams
HKS headgasket
ARP main, rod & head bolts
Port & Polish by Headgames in NJ
Ferrea valvetrain dual springs, 0.5mm oversized valves

If your rebuilding. ALWAYS replace oil pump.

Typically, the more you replace…well, the better it is. Unless, you know a certain part is still good, and f it goes bad…it’s really not a huge deal.

Best of luck.

I’d leave an input, but I know shit all about SR’s :wink:

Little update.
I now have the engine on a stand in my living room…haha
When you don’t have a garage, and rent a small place while going to school, there’s not much of a choice.

Here are a few pics my buddy took on Saturday when we pulled the motor.
2 of my buddies and my brother were involved somewhat throughout the day, dropping by when they could. Funny thing is, 2 of them had left for supper/GF things, just before my brother and I got the engine in the air. Then the brother had to leave for work while I wrestled the engine/transmission out and to the ground solo. It was fun…:stuck_out_tongue:

Some night shots before we got everything inside.

And my living room when everything was finally inside.
The GF is very understanding…:smiley:

Today…
Motor on stand, sans alternator & bracket.

Dropped the Turbo Assembly.

Then the rest of the turbo side.

Stripped the IM side.

Ready to be cracked.

man i love following ur projects and such, great pics and all, keep up the work glhf

wow thats dedication right there, in your living room ! seriously :smiley: props bro

not only in the living room but on the hard wood flooring… my family would have cut my nuts off…lol…

great work!!!..

good stuff man! post more as you continue!

im sure its a laminate floor… either way, you put some cardboard down so what’s to complain about?

me and purposebuilt are black… so our parents wont stand for that!! no matter if you offered to redo the floor!! lol

anyways back to the thread! i hope to see pics of the project over time… looks very promising! GOOD LUCK man

^ it’s not just black patrents that would chop a nut junior… im white as snow i would be dismantaled if i brought a motor in the house

Holy shit, there’s black people on the internet?

lol thats serious dedication… are you putting all the same internals back in from before?

haha, yeah it’s laminate.
And I rent the apartment, so the build is on the DL.
I’m sure they realize I have car parts in here since the 240 is in the driveway, but I don’t think they realize I have most of the drivetrain in here.

Here’s a quick update on the after-supper progress.
The GF decided she wanted to try her hand at wrenching, so I let her get in there.

She pulled the valve cover, cams/gears, rockers/lifters/shims, etc.

Here’s a little teaser:
I wrote this before I pulled the head.
Once I pulled it, I found something I really wish I hadn’t.
I’m going to need some input.
Stay tuned, the pics are uploading…

lol i know, its MADNESS!!.. and check this out… i didnt beat you down and take your stuff and DMCC!!.. thats just crazy!

Thank you CSK 240 R1 for getting my point… :cool: you a cool dude!!

Some details:

I bought the car in April, and the night I got it here I broke a rocker arm on the 3rd cylinder (exhaust). It sounded like a bad coil (WRX sound) as the exhaust valves weren’t opening on that cylinder, so I spent a day or so troubleshooting, changing plugs and injectors and coils, etc.

When I found the broken rocker, I found the rocker retainer, but never found the valve shim. Some friends of mine who have built engines more than once advised that because I didn’t find it after flushing 2 oil changes through, it was probably lodged somewhere safe and I shouldn’t go through a tear-down just to look for it.

I replaced all 8 of the rockers, and after I had the car running again, I did a compression test and a leak down test, as I was getting some gas in my oil. The compression numbers were pretty even across the board, cylinders 1, 3 and 4 were about 120, while 2 was at about 110 if I remember correctly. I figured that the aftermarket pistons could account for the numbers being below the usual 140 that I see in threads, but because they were all within 10%, it should be fine to get me through the rest of the season.
The leakdown test stayed in the “green” range on the tester, not perfect, but again good enough to get me through the season.

I figured that my 1/4 mile times would give me an indication how strong the engine was, and my best this year was a 12.9 in July at 106mph. This was slower than my 112 mph 13.1 in June with crappier tires, but still…12.9 is respectable. I knew that with the dyno graphs I had seen for the car, I should have been in the low 12’s, but I wasn’t far off.

I broke a rocker on the 1st exhaust cylinder again at the beginning of August, and it took some things with it. Namely the aluminum dowel that keeps the timing chain on the crank gear when you drop it from the cam gears, and the rocker retainers, etc.

I figured that this is what damaged my timing chain, as there is some minor cosmetic damage around the outside of the chain and one kinked link. If the rocker had “jammed” on the aluminum dowel for a moment before breaking it, it could have easily done the damage.

The timing chain was the main reason for this re-build. I knew that I had some bottom end issues, what I though was a possible washed out piston from the rocker arm issues and troubleshooting that I had done. I figured new rings and I’d be golden. Nothing serious. However I was getting a lot of smoke/blowby from the valve cover breather as of late, so this re-build was definitely needed before the end of the season.

I did a compression test before I pulled the motor this weekend.
Cylinder 1 120
Cylinder 2 49
Cylinder 3 115
Cylinder 4 108

My battery was dying and the starter was having troubles, so I figured #4 should be a little higher with a decent crank.
Obviously cylinder #2 is in trouble.
I was hoping that the rings were just shot.

Now I find this:

3 of the pistons are beautiful, besides the carbon built up in the middle, it basically wiped off.

But check out piston #2.
It’s destroyed!!
The dark side looks like some pieces are broken off…
The light side looks like maybe possible detonation, but I don’t think so, because the marks/pitts are pretty big, and it’s right on the edge of the cylinder.

Is it possible that the valve shim from April made its way from the head to the combustion chamber some way? I have no idea how it would…
Is it typical for detonation to occur on one cylinder, and only at the edge of the piston?
I should have heard this, or my “knock control” should have picked up on it.

You can see the damage on the head as well.

To add to this, my effin GT2871R is toast. There’s crazy play in the shaft (axial), so I have to deal with that as well. Can you buy rebuild kits for BB turbo’s, or do you need to buy a whole center section? I guess either way it’s going to be expensive.

So Polar…no, I won’t be putting the same internals back in…:stuck_out_tongue:
Sorry for the long upload times, my damn internet connection is in/out all the time.

If anyone can give me some insight, please do so.

• Jonathan

Very hard to make a judgment call via pictures. It looks like detonation in number 2. Temperatures were too high, piston cracked…end of that.

Also, your cams. Where the hold down bolt up. Are those scores???!!! They look a little excessive through a picture. Have that checked.

If you can get away with de-glazing the bottom end. Do it, if not. Do a complete re-build with some gangster shit!

Wicked build thread so far bro.

Hope I helped at least a little.

It seems that once every 3-4 weeks I kick myself for selling my spare longblock with RAS for $500. I’ve spent more than that in parts already.

If anyone knows where I can find one for that amount or similar, let me know.
I really can’t afford any gangster shit right now…