starting sr build soon

so in the new year i plan on building a s13 sr20, i plan on new internals, new turbo (not huge, cuz of bugget) and basically the whole motor rebuilt (bearings, rods, pistons, port and polish head, new valves etc) my budget is going to be close to 6000 for this motor, any advise would be great, and i had one question, if i was rebuilding would oem pistons be fine of do i have to buy aftermarket ones?

all work will be done by me including the port and polished head, with some help from a friend who builds race engines, will start a build thread when i start the build

personally i don’t see the point in building a sr20 bottom end, unless you have huge power goals?

This ^

but yea, what is your goal power wise? cause up to like 350-400whpish, usually you can get away with just a metal head gasket, maybe some ARP head studs if you want, and an OEM rebuild plus machine work if necessary…

6000 dollar budget?

swap a v8 in.

sr’s are shit

so i dont need rods pistons and bearings? just cams valves HG arp head studs, im going to do main studs to, turbo, manifold, injectors, rail, intake, port polish, 70mm throttle body, flywheel, full gaskets.

power goal is ~400 whp

400hp in a street 240 is fast…really fast…

^^^^ you must be the guy who drive 80 in the slow lane. thats awesome

exactly

Sell the SR for $1000 and put $7000 into a V8, 2J or RB swap.

ka-T broo

rb’s have to many problems and not enough aftermarket, and EVERYTHING for them is expensive, from my experience.

does anyone have a sr20 s13 ecu, or know of anyone that has one?
and im just lookin for somethin to do over the winter, just wanna build a motor, thought a sr would be fun

are you one of those guys that wants a stockish car and refuckulous motor?

no, i plan on actually spending a year to build a car right. the year is cuz im a highschool student working at subway as my income so i dont make tons of money. but i start my aprrenticeship in septemeber so that will help with money but not free time.

im one of those guys who decided to do a swap the cheap way, and got really pissed off and learned from it, and now i actually want to do something cool, the right way

gt3076r, fullrace topmount manifold, cams, rocker arm stoppers, power fc, avcr, fmic, injectors, cam gears, intake manifold, hg, AN hoses and fittings, rad, twin plate + tuning. done 6g.

lol ight thanks man :slight_smile: This is wat i was asking for, advise :stuck_out_tongue: thanks again

metal HG, studs, mild cam, 2871R .64 and associated mods… 330whp… stupid fast in a well set up S13.

if you’re going to spend that kind of money you’re likely better off buying a pre-built car and part out what you don’t want… you’ll end up saving months of your time and thousands of dollars.

how much hp can stock pistons crank and rods handle?

I made well over 400 wheel for a few years, then gave the block to Vlad who then race professionally on it for a season.

Building SR blocks for pump gas street cars is a huge waste of money.

My advice though you don’t want to hear it…

Cut your $6000 in half, invest the left over half in a RRSP or TFSA and in 10+ years you’ll be laughing at essentially what your planning on doing right now.

3000 is still plenty to build a mild street SR motor

what should i buy with 3000?