thinking of building my motor

winter is on its way again so my car has gone into storage. over winter i was thinking of building my motor, but unsure of what i should exactly do.

my only internal mods so far are ported and polished head and greddy rocker arm stoppers. as of right now im pushing a little over 330whp (about 385 crank) @14psi, which basically puts my sr to it limits internally.

i was thinking of doing a stroker kit, or just get some forged pistons and rods, either tomei or greddy for example. and of course cams, unsure of what kind to get. but the stroker kit and forged internals i have priced out are quite up there in price. I was thinking maybe just rebuilding my motor with oem internals, then get a set of aftermarket cams, and ditch the gt28 for a gt35(R?). then maybe play with a little more boost or something.

so let me know your thoughts of what i should do or tips about my ideas anything would help, i need something to do over winter!

Never cheap out you will regret it get the forged pistions and rods. As for cams I heard hks makes good strong cams but I also heard something about some other cams i cant remember the name but I saw them somewhere on this forum or on nico and everyone was saying there really good.

BC cams are the new hotness, but they are surprisingly cheap which may or may not be a good thing depending. I use HKS, like em.

The most important thing to do when you have your motor built is to make sure you have it done by someone who knows what they are doing and has done it before.

I lost over $5,000 in cash last year because of various issues with various motor builds and even now that i am on the other side the motor is still not 100% perfect.

You are not pushing the limits of the stock internals. With a metal HG and ARP studs you run a fair bit more than you are now. Dan is running over 400whp on stock internals and Sasha has always run stock blocks.

Tuning has more to do with it.

If i could redo everything i would have thrown an extra $8,000 on my home and NOT rebuilt my motor at all. It added absolutely no benefit and cost thousands beyond what i consider lost and wasted hundreds of hours of my time as well as other’s.

But at least i can say that my motor is built… wow… i’m actually embarassed by it considering the expense.

441 thank you very much.:moon:

ive heard lots about the brian crower cams lately as well. if i were to forged internals i was gonna go with tomei all the way and tomei cams as well. and just like you bing, right now im having trouble finding someone who can put my motor together for me properly, and hopefully wont fuck it up when they do it.

holly shit thats rediculous, how much boost are you running on stock internals? is your car cammed? have you ran it at the track?

hey drew

check out bc’s 2.2l stroker kit

woudlnt be as much as tomei stuff and has a pretty good reputation behind it

2.2L hks kit

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NISSAN-SR20DET-HKS-STROKER-KIT-2-2_W0QQitemZ140157663155QQihZ004QQcategoryZ32094QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2.35L BC kit

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Brian-Crower-SR20DET-2-35-Liter-Stroker-Kit-S13-S14_W0QQitemZ180159079363QQihZ008QQcategoryZ33614QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Tomei 2.2L kit

http://cgi.ebay.ca/New-Tomei-2-2L-Stroker-Kit-180sx-200sx-S15-S14-SR20DET_W0QQitemZ290138979041QQihZ019QQcategoryZ32624QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

BC offers more displacement and is a few hundred cheaper

the tomei and hks are about the same price

all in all your looking at about 5k with customs

if you know someone in the u.s and buy the bc kit, then you can try bringing it over yourself and your looking at about 4k

stroker kits are rediculous.

As dan has proven you dont need a stroker kit or lots of internal work to run 400+ whp… or 440 in his case.

And sasha has proven that you dont even need 350whp to go faster than people with 500+ whp.

yeah dan’s car has cams and it doesnt matter how much boost you run, it matters how much power you make. Having someone put together a motor improperly with Tomei parts will still make the motor crap. A motor with OEM parts that is put together well will be much better.

save the money.

drew if you decide to go stoker, i personally would use the 4-5 k, pick up an rb25, sell your sr, and use that money to mod the rb

youll be laughing at that 330hp you have now

ah. so many decisions. i dont even know what to do. or what will be worth all that money.

Theres really no point in going with an rb25 now since your already at 330hp and a stock rb25 would run you about +7000$ which would be a waste of money I would go with Brian crower cams and forged internals with a bigger turbo and higher boost and I’am sure you will be happy with the hp you get outta that.If you plan on selling your parts let me know.

if you have a GT28 then get a GT3071 or GT35R

What dyno did you run your car on? Dan’s?

I will be getting an SR block built this winter and its going to be done at Gord Bush Performance. He has built countless Speed World challenge motors and I have no problems knowing that he can build a proper SR.

Seriously though, I would do what Sasha has been doing, running the piss out of stock SRs and if they blow you just buy another one. In my opinion nothing beats an OEM built bottom end in reliability and for the price they can be had these days I would soon rather run it and find the limits myself than go with a built SR.

And yes I do realize I wrote Im having an SR built in my first paragraph but I have to have it done.

^^^ werd…

And why the hell do we need 400whp street cars anyways? gawd it doesnt make sense… until you tromp on the accelematrix… weeeeee

the rb is what i personally would do, i never said he should do it

when and if my ca goes, i sure as shit aint getting another ca or an sr redtop for that matter, regardless of how much money and parts i have invested in the ca at the time

i believe that something newer would be better, a later model sr or later model rb

and whats the difference if you have a 400 hp street car or a 330 hp street car? in a 2700 lb 240sx it wont be much differecne (on street)

bing you have a 325 hp street car, im not bagging on ya or anything because given the chance i would like ot have that kind of power too

drew if you end up deciding on a bigger turbo, ide say forget about it
a $1500 turbo would be less beneficial then a straight rebuild of what you have now

high hp cars tend to break faster usually, put the money towards rebuilding what you have now so it will last longer, and put the rest in suspension, or in the bank

and i dont think stroker kits are the way to go either, for the money and time needed, and for a street car, i think it would be a bad investment

i just read pete’s post too, i agree with him, an oem bottom end will yeild the best results reliability wise. if it blows, you can get another at prices they go fo these days. i still would go with somehting a bit newer. technology is moving so fast these days that early jdm s13 stuff is becoming dated quickly. ofcourse the bits and pieces of technology still work and can be manipulated easily, but eventually will become a thing of the past.

you would defiantly feel 70 hp in any car. Even if the car weighted 5000 pounds you would still feel a difference.

yeah you would feel it, but what im trying to get at is that fast is fast

330 hp on the street is the same as 400 hp on the street

when the hell are you going to use it all?

unless if your a dumb ass street racer, in which case if you are, then your a tool and shouldnt have a car from the get go

my ca was 175 stock, and maybe, just maybe its 200 now. and i can defiantely feel the dif. so your right there, but i was trying to make a different point

pull out the sr(your gunna do it to build it) sell the s13/14, buy a datsun 510. put the sr in it… and your gunna have shit loads of fun, also if u wanna stay busy during hte winter. sr20det or ka24. they dont just drpo in. so fabbing it up will take some time

well im not from ontario, i ran on Motion Performance’s dyno in Winnipeg MB. Especially out here it will be hard for me to find someone who will build my motor and build it properly. There isnt that many sr’s out here at all. and as far as i know none of them are built or running the power i am.

maybe i should just cam it, rebuild my turbo and get a solid retune and see where it gets me?

oh and BTW, the car will be a daily driver.