Blown S14 SR20

I haven’t been having too much luck with motors as of late. I can’t really explain wtf happened to my SR, all i know is it knocks like a b-i-t-c-h.
All coming from the bottom end so its defintley a bearing. I just put the motor in and managed to drive it 110 km’s before blowing it.

I know many of you are going to ask, “what did you do?”. The answer is drive it, i put clean oil in as i had problems running rich when the car was first started due to MAF problems, i changed the oil 3 times during that period of 110 kms and the oil level was fine when the bearing went.

I was on 401 and when i got off i heard a knocking, i hoped it was valve noise but it clearly was not.

My question is not why my motor went (as i can only assume the odometer was rolled back off the clip it came from) but where I might find a stroker kit for it.

I would preferably like to go with a 2.4L kit to confuse all the KA guys out there, but all I have found is the Jim Wolf one. And in the pic the rods look weak. I am willing to spend the extra for a good setup, but I was just wondering if anyone was aware of a strong 2.4L bottom end setup? Or how well the jim wolfe kit holds up?

I want to build a bullet proof bottom end, but need the pieces to do it.

Also, i am currently talking to the place I got the motor from, guy doesnt believe me that the bottom end is gone.

If I have problems with warranty on the motor I will post it up on not where to shop.

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/customer_part_detail.asp?PartID=380

jim wolfe kit

It doesnt matter whether you spend 2000 or 20 000 rebuilding your motor trying to make it bulletproof, if your tuning is off you will still end up blowing it up…

From your last thread you said you had a full standalone installed correct? If thats the case I would really look into the tuning aspect before blaming the failure of your engine on wear and tear.

Are you planning on putting together this stroker? There arent many people running this kind of setup so you are entering unchartered waters and its going to be a difficult ride. You are going to need a full tune right away, not to mention the engine build itself will more than likely take much longer.

I seriously suggest you get another stock SR and tune it, then enjoy it. If you are dead set on building a monster setup like that then do it over the winter. Can I ask why you want to go with a 2.4L?

Lastly, just because the Jim Wolf kit ‘looks’ like it has tiny rods doesnt mean they are weak. He has been playing with Nissans longer than most of us have been alive so his stuff is top notch. I wouldnt worry about any parts in his kit.

tomei…solid engines, with ECU pre-tuned…

lol yea well we all dont have as much money as you bud

i wouldnt even wanna know what a fully built motor with ecu etc etc from tomei costs

I’m fully aware of tuning and what the results are from bad tuning. My car was not in full tune for the brief period of time it was running, I ended up running the stock ecu because I had to have new parameters set for my HKS ECU. The car was supposed to be dyno tuned by myself and my business partner to optimize the cars potential.

Tuning in no, way, shape, or form could be responsible for me losing my bottom end. The car never saw more then 7000 RPM and only saw good oil. I am fully aware of what I am talking about, & at this stage in the game with a blown SR my s13 is down till spring. I wanted to do internals for more boost, but I was hoping to wait a couple of seasons.

I am in the process of talking with my engine supplier, but I have a bad feeling about everything…he doesnt seem to intent on honouring the warranty thus far…he already tried to sell me a dried up S13 block he picked up from a wreckers in japan. Key word is SELL, he didn’t even offer it to me. I have no problems performing the work, I have built motors before, i’m not a newb. All the clearances I leave to the machine shop obviously because I do not have access to all the tools I would require to properly bore & sleeve the block.

In regards to the 2.4L, you go big or go home…The parts list I provided on my other post was just parts installed to affect fuel management, nothing else. I have most major bolt ons & now I want to build.

But thanx for any advice you could give me, any piece of information that aids me on my quest for S13 absolution is greatly appreciated.

With the stroker and the HKS ECU, you get the measurements for Clearance Volumes (CV), bore, stroke, ect. and give the ecu those perameters. Tuning the overbored engine is fairly similair to tuning a modified stock displacement. The dyno tells all…im not planning on sitting in my driveway with a timinglight and hoping to get optimum timing for my boost setting.

All results and outcomes are scientific.

If i wanted a hackjob I would just build a KA-T…sorry that was a shot, but the KA isnt a sports car motor

Built by americans, for USDM trucks…reliable, but not sporty.

and that is all for my clearly biased opinions.

i have yet to see an sr20 thats really 2400cc…people cam claim what ever they want around the world, truth is, 2200cc is all u can really find AVAILABLE on the market for now around here…

post a picture of the bottom of your oil pan, from the outside

how long did you say you had the car running for? and how high of rpm did you hit?

here’s a thought, you know how many people get cars from japan, start it up, change the oil and go beat the piss out of them and the motor blows?

Guess what happened buddy, you didn’t let the motor break in again. You know let the oil get back into the system, chances are you got a motor that has been sitting in a yard for 3-5 years and you put it in your car, started it up and ebat on it and blew the motor.

i may be wrong, but thats the reason for 90% of failures to motors like these.

as for the ka it’s a german design…so not so close there…guess again.

Sorry man but you dont need to break in a motor that has 50,000km on it. Sitting for 5 years or not. Where in the world did you hear that from?

Before you start making remarks about KA’s not being a “sporty engine”, please explain to me why an SR is a “sporty engine?” Please define…

When you have come up with facts before BS you have read, then we will talk. I don’t like people making random remarks about shit they dont know.

You fall into the class of “Bandwagon” with remarks like that.

awaits more random ranting

Sorry man but you dont need to break in a motor that has 50,000km on it. Sitting for 5 years or not. Where in the world did you hear that from?

So lets get this strait, an engine that has sat in a junkyard for maybe 5 years without any proper engine storage preparation doesn’t need to be primed before start-up and driven easy for a few days?

Andrew.

prime-ing and breaking an engine in are two different things.

And yes an engine that has sat for a long period of time doesnt need to be driven easy. What do you accomplish by driving it easy? Everything is already broken in, the combustion chamber cleans itself out in a matter of minutes, if not quixker, once started.

what is this ’ HKS ECU ’ your talking about ? thier are many components that make up the HKS total management system… and then thiers the F-con series of ECU’s which are not programmable… what product(s) are you using for this mega tunning that your doing… ( HKS does not make a standalone ECU ( unless it’s a hard tunned OEM ECU ).

My SR was bought from a running car @ auction and sat for a period of about 5 months. My importer called me & told me about it because I was looking for an SR, I didn’t want a cheap middle eastern or wrecked SR, I wanted one that would be strong and that would last. It was never run with its original oil & was changed 3 times to remove any fuel that may have entered the crankcase via the the cylinders when the engine ran super rich. I removed the oil after the knocking started and it wasn’t super dark, nor was it tainted by fuel.

Once an engine is broken in, there is no need to do it again, whether it sits for 1 day or 10 years. Engine break in just accounts for tolerances and ensures that internal components wear slightly to accomodate their new homes in an engine block. This is only done once and typically done using conventional oil to accelerate the process for a period of 3000-5000kms on a new or rebuilt engine.

I also primed the engine with the fuel pump off to re-circulate oil into the head and into the turbo. I also took special precaution with this because I have a Greddy oil cooler & filter re-location kit. As such I had far more lines and surface area for the oil to occupy and get the neccessary pressure through the return side of the oil lines from the external filter housing.

I cannot stress this enough, I know what I am doing, I have built & swapped motors before. I have a good idea of what to do & what not to do. And before someone else who is well-meaning but uneducated in the subject of engines asks me, “if my wiring was bad”, or"if i beat on the engine to hard" or if “I didn’t break it in”, please consider the following.
No electrical problem known to man will destroy a crank or rod bearing, it is strictly mechanical, electronics are for fuel delivery, fail safes, ignition, etc. not to control the rates of bearing wear. Secondly, even if the engine sat and remained unprimed for centuries, aslong as gravity exists and the car that the engine is in is on 4 tires, the crank & rod bearings generate enough pressure on cranking to lubricate them in seconds. Not to mention that the pan is sealed and oil doesnt evaporate, so usually oil never ends up leaving the bearing journals, or atleast not in any great degree. Thirdly, this isnt a GM OHV 4 cylinder, its an oversquare DOHC turbo with variable intake timing, the thing was designed to be a high revving motor, and i’f i had over revved it even given the fact that it was governed short (7000), i would have lost a lifter long before losing the bottom end. And i was only @ 7-psi, so I didn’t overload the bottom end either.

I would also like to make a point of my KA-T comment, it was strctly my opinion. I respect the motor for reliability, not speed. It is built by those who, for the most part, find it more financially feesable to turbo a low mileage KA then to buy an SR, have it installed & then do the wiring. Correct me if i’m wrong, but the guys with less financial burdens seem to have SRs. I have never heard anything to the effect of the KA being german either, not to be saying its untrue, but I’ve only ever read that it was designed for entry level USDM trucks and is only available in 1 or 2 JDM cars (Stanza & something else) but was introduced in those vehicles after its introduction in the kingcab & hustler pickups. But that is enough on that topic, this is a why the hell did my S14 blow up & what can I do about it, not an “SR vs. KA” forum.

pics of oil pan?

HKS F-CON V Pro is the ecu…it claims to be a stand alone unit on the website but still requires your stock ECU to be plugged in and in use.

It uses many of its own sensors and takes the OEM sensor readings from the OEM ecu. The unit is programmable, but only by authorized dealers, or anyone with HKS Power Writer software. and at $5000USD, not too many people have it. The unit comes with a baseline program, but if you have alot of non OEM parts, the system needs to be reconfigured tp take advantage of them. No aftermarket manufacturer of ecu’s that I can think of make a non-programmable unit, although some are easier to write to then others. But to offer you an ounce of proof, my ecu has Cat-5 connectors to allow it to be plugged & mapped via PC running HKS software.

Here is more info on the ECU: http://www.hksusa.com/categories/?id=1933

In regards to my electronic tuning:
HKS F-Con V Pro
HKS GCC Fuel Injector Controller
HKS 550cc Injectors
Distributored ignition with internal ignitor
S14 SR MAF (not permanent)
HKS Iridium styled plugs
Mallory 1:1 FPR set at base to 35psi
Wideband O2 to F-Con (located in cat)
OEM O2 to stock ECU

There are many other factors aswell that are not electronic that must be accounted for by the elctronics system to get optimum tuning, but I have no interest in listing them at present.
ie: Boost, quaderalateral & volumetric efficiencies that change via the intake & intercooler design, etc.

I didn’t throw a rod, just spun a bearing. I will be pulling the motor, when I do that I will post pics of the internals and document the build.

So that if anyone else wants to go 2.2 or 2.4, I will either advertise my abilities, or provide a guide for the D.I.Y.'s out there

yeah , thanks I know what it is… and thier are NO HKS authorized ‘power tuners’ in Canada. So you pretty much spent what $3k in electronics that ammounts to a glorified piggypack system, don’t get me wrong, I sell new JRM HKS parts, have been for years. the electronics and engine parts I like … however… I’m dying laughing at the money you spent on that… You could have had a haltech E11V2 or even a motec M400 with STACK display for that kind of coin…

or better yet you could have hopped online to ebay and picked up a V2.2 ms1 megasquirt that had 100% more tunablity at less then 1/10th the cost… saved your self some money to let a real tuner work on it and maybe rebuild that used engine… don’t you know that when you buy a USED engine you have NO warrenties… beyong the goodwill of the seller.

You seem to be a dicotamy; you punch out the right words, in the right spots… yet you didn’t take the time to even inspect the bottom end?? common… :roll: 110km and it pooches? … hellen keller could have told you something was wrong with it if you had opened it up.

I would endeavour to assume with all that money your tossing around at it, no and previously… at some point it will work right… good luck with that…

Come by sometime and i’ll show you what a $350 MS system and a proper rebuild on a JDM motor can do…

:lol:

So the KA-T is for people that don’t have enough money for SR’s. I’m sorry but that is completely wrong. I speak for myself and many others when I say KA-T’s are NOT a budget engine.

And Yes you turned it into the next SR vs. KAT.

Andrew.