SR oil starvation

My bottom end spun a bearing and bent a rod from oil starvation so i need a new longblock. Bottom end, head and intake manifold all assembled in working order. I dont require to have PS pump, altornator, rad hoses, injectors, exhaust mani, coilpacks, CAS etc etc…i have everything for a SR engine. My motors a latemodel redtop with fins…can be any SR motor that my accessories will bolt up to. What do you have? Thanks

Hahaha, watch out for Varun’s puppets in the mod section that edit and delete posts for him.

you forgot to fill oil in your motor?
=/

Staved the bearings of oil spinning a bearing and bending a rod due to the oil pickup being damaged/choked from what my mechanic tells me after inspecting the reason it went on me.  I was already on my 3rd oil change after having the SR for 5 weeks just to clean out the engine without using harmfull chemicals like engine flush.  I was also working the engine doing a couple doughnuts before deciding...theres not enough snow im killing my tires pointlessly fk it ill wait for it to snow in the evening.  

Its not being covered under warrenty even though I took digital pics and showed varun when the motor came out of the clip long ago thinking "wtf are the chances of it being dented when it was in the clip"....at the time the dent was told to be alright and wont be a problem as its pretty small..i geusse not.  The one of 2 times i pushed that motor threw the 5 weeks i had it..it let go on me.  I maintained it to the extreme and had no reason to want to harm it.  The time this cars off the road is costing me and im not looking forward to a swap in the cold but what can you do.  Ill shut my mouth now.  

On a second note Avery has a blacktop...anyone know off the top of their head if theres going to be any diffrences with the harness's...i basicly have a latemodel redtop harness in the car...i dont want issues with wiring if i were to put the blacktop longblock in.  Thanks guys,

that sucks.

its a tough call though, i had a minor dent in my oil pan and starved my motor of oil when i first got it and it still lasted a few years of heavy abuse.

I got 5 weeks and less than 1200km’s as i dont drive more than 10kms a day. My mechanics son runs sr20ve engines for both his street and race car so hes very familiar with the SR engine and says by the looks of it 1/2 the motor was being starved of oil…my cams are bone dry which is why the lifters or cams made a lot of ticking…i lubed them up after a week of driving and now their completly dry again.

If i had a oil pressure gauge hooked up from the begining i should have seen lower pressure and saved the motor ahead of time but thats not the case.  I offered 1/2 on the price for a longblock as theres two parts of the story.  #1 being the dent which ive been told is 100% the reason i spun a bearing and #2 i was "abusing" the engine.  Chris could tell you he ran his SR for 6 hours same day no BOV and had no issues or the beatings you layed down on your SR Bing..I was going to somehow come up with 900 for a longblock threw varun until my mech told me the damage done and why it happened.  From that point i felt i was 1/2 at fault.  I dont try to take money out of peoples pockets.  My motors bone stock too...stock psi.

firstly, why would you drive your car further if you could see dry cams?

should have known the oil wasnt getting to the head and found out why at that point !

secondly if you go drifting in ice/snow , or off roading/driving thats not paved, or over hard loose debri etc u should always have a skid plate/oil pan guard to make sure dents no not occur in ure extremely soft oil pan…when aluminum oil pans on sr’s get dented, the oil flow obviously drops and causes lower oil pressure and damage to the engine.

Your motor would have only lasted a few minutes if it was oil starved for 5 weeks, the dent that caused this had to have occured while you were out beating on it over the last couple of days…

the lower sr oil pan is not aluminum

its normal metal

This to me is the crux of this issue.

First: At what point in time did you discover the dent?

Second: Did the dent get worse between now and when you purchased the motor?

Third: Who told you the dent was fine and would cause you no problems?

An oil starved SR will not last long! Even a small dent in the SR pan is enough to damage the oil pick-up. There less then 1/4 of clearance between the bottom of the pick-up and the oil pan. Esp the redtop pick-ups as they are the worst ones.

The only wiring issue you might have is the diff O2 sensors… the rest should be fine if its a late model redtop harness.

This is how my pan and pickup looked when I got the motor.

I undented the pan and fixed the pickup so it wasn’t all fucked up like.

Good luck next time. :grouphug:

Before
http://i16.tinypic.com/4fxm9at.jpg

After
http://i10.tinypic.com/2vtz2pe.jpg

Pickup
http://i3.tinypic.com/2wf5nbs.jpg

hey mike,
There was a very tiny dent in the pan in before the motor went in- in very anal about oil pan dents, its something i warn everyone about that buys their motor from me. If the dent was anything to worry about i would have for sure told devon to fix it up.

Ask REX ( the free raffle motor winner) , i warned him to check the pan for any dents and bang them out if he saw them ).

Im assuming there is a new and larger dent that caused the pickup to be starved of oil, nothing can go back in time and confirm exactly what happened. The car is not stock height.
They are such soft pans, anything can dent them…

When doing the donuts, the oil was probably all against the side of the pan that his mechanic says is damaged, so the pump got no oil at all and starved the motor.

5 weeks later is it my job to give a free motor? Hell no, but for sure i was willing to help him out with a low price on another block , ive done it for like 10 other son members, even people who didnt buy their initial motors from me.

#1. when the motor came out of the clip it was taken note of
#2. its the same as day 1 my cars on megan lowering springs but i dont offroad my car…
#3. varun said the dent was minor the day the motor went into my car after i showed him digital pics on my cam when i went to visit him and pick something up. He may have not seen fully the damage done to the oil pan.

Hahaha. Nice customer support.

I run a blacktop with a red top harness and ecu. Zero problems. Wired the same as any SR swap.

this is a WTB thread… SON is not an arbitration forum.

everyone please relax so that this thread doesnt need to be locked.

no more battling over who or what is at fault. that type of discussion has no place here, there is a feedback forum for that.

ive been in contact with devon before his motorswap, during, after.
ive been in his car many a times. let me tell you. if it was my car i would be killing it compared to how he drives like a grandma.
another point. SRs are shit brickhouses… they take beatings like paris hilton.

varun… this is what i have to say to you. his fucking oil pan has not changed since he bought the motor off of you, he doesn’t beat his car, nor does he have any reason to blow a perfectly good motor… when there is no reason too have to get into a dilemma like this, as well as dealing with a B.S winter swap.
also:

• you say aluminum oil pans on SR’s? i dont think so…
  • you told devin there is about a 3" gap from the pickup and the oil pan. wrong there too maybe 1/2"
  • lastly, when devin had recorded the knocking noise and put it on google i had watched it, and you did too. your response was; its gotta be the head.
    Varun, the interval of time in between every knock/tick whatever u wanna call it, was WAY to slow to have to have been the head, the valvetrain’s rotation speed at idle is faster than the bottom end, that knock was way to slow to have been in the head.

This is absurdly rediculous, and has obviously cost him money for being off of work for so long due to no transportation.

COMPENSATE the guy, moreless. give him a new long block. this isnt his fault.
AT ALL. hes not highly knowledgable about motors and followed YOUR advice on keeping the oil pan. and bottom line the pan hasn’t changed since the swap.

brutal.

This will be cleaned up and sorted.

LET ME BE CLEAR:

It’s not my (or anyone else’s) place to decide what compensation, if any, is in order. I am not out to get Varun and I’m not here to blame Devon.

I just want to get a clear assessment of both sides of the story. I think that is appropriate and justified.

haha no kidding. tell me too how donuts are any different from making a normal fucking turn on a residential street, the oil is STILL going to splash onto the other side. The bearing just gave out. he doesnt beat his car and changes the oil regularly so whos to say that his motor wouldnt last 5 weeks with a oil pan like that.

haha no kidding. tell me too how donuts are any different from making a normal fucking turn on a residential street, the oil is STILL going to splash onto the other side. The bearing just gave out. he doesnt beat his car and changes the oil regularly so whos to say that his motor wouldnt last 5 weeks with a oil pan like that.

oh and the puppets. sounds so real!

Varun, All in all im not posting to disrespect you as you say I am. I feel that I am at partial fault doing doughnuts throwing the oil to one side of the pan completly starving the already damaged pickup of oil just as you posted which is Exactly what i just told you over the phone. Im going by what my mechanic told me who is also a SR specailist who goes threw 4-6 SR20VE engines a year in his car racing. This could have happened a week after the swap or a year down the road. The pan isnt any further damaged than day one…look at the pic of the current ride height. http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8085/24102006001jr4.jpgClearly its a monster truck and the doughnuts were done in a go station parking lot…theres nothing that would have hit my pan…it was Sunday afternoon roughly 1-2pm before we even got 10-15cm of snow which later came down in the evening. My car was being towed away at 4pm because i was scared shitless to drive my car.

The damage is done I feel 1/2 at fault and i feel that you did not take a good glance at that photo of the pan before i put the engine in.  I figured there was a gasket between the pan and block and i didnt want to break the gasket other wise i would have popped the dent regardless of you giving me the thumbs up saying its ok.   All i asked for was you to cover 1/2 the cost for the long block.  My clip was not 2500 at cost for you please dont bs, you are a great help over the phone while i installed the motor.  Id say more around 1200-1400 at your cost.  Theres a lot of lying going on im not being one of them.