Sr black top turbo or ka turbo

I’m swaping my engine this summer I just wanted To no if I should go with the black top turbo or should I rebuild the ka to turbo, I just would like some feed back on what’s the best way to go. Thanks.

you’re going to get opinions because you asked for one.

SR black top = reliable for stock power and boltons. You’ll still end up spending crap loads of money if you get more serious. People who say otherwise are either lucky or bull. Go to any 240 forum and you’ll find plenty people whining about blown turbos and what have you.

KA turbo = if done right will rock an SR and have low-end that the SR lacks. It may take more effort and research as it’s not a stock turbo, but it’s worth it imho. I do like turbo cars, but I don’t want the hassle. If I didn’t contemplate going V8 I would have taken the KA-T route. That’s just me. I want low to high end power and less headaches.

Your choice…

My opinion would be to use the search feature.

definetley 100% agreed! ^^^^
:repost::rl:

moderator please lock and show the search buttoin
\

There’s lots of old threads I’ve come across, very helpful and informative on KA-T VS SR…couple years ago on SON240, just search and type in KA-T lol.

In my opinion,

SR = easier to tune, drop in and safe for most people experienced & noobs, want more power…need more dough than KA’s to get the most.

KA = cheapest option to start off with turbo-wise, if you wanna learn more about tuning and your car, want more torque and bigger power easier with mods, safe for most people that know what they’re doing.

in the end, all you need is around 200hp to still let the wheels loose easily lol.

Exactly, it depends on how much power u want to make… i personnally like ka-t better,i never had an SR20 cause enough of my friends do so… no need for me to join the ban wagon lol

im going ka-t but its all about what you want im only going 200hp area so ka-t is cheap and will still be somewhat reliable but sr`s are made for turbo its all about personally prefrence

It’s all in the tune, KA’s are pretty tough and they can easily handle stock boost levels that SR’s and others dish out.

But if you rush it through without learning about rich\lean, timing, afr’s, heat range sparkplugs, etc…especially knock or detonation! :wink:
then you can get yourself in trouble, not to mention cheaping out on some things and expecting to push lots in the get go.

with knowledge comes better reliability and durability, knowing what’s safe for what you have.

^true like if you wanna go ka-t don`t cheap out on tuning or the turbo/mani

Thanks peoples

go back from this post into technical, look up SR v. KA-T v. RB etc. everything you want to know bout what ur asking is in this post ^^^^^^^^^.

when a engine comes with a factory turbo and costs less than a B18C and has more power n possibilities with forged internals, an SR will make 400Wheen safely with injectors a tune and nice mild cams and a GT2871r with fmic and open exhaust. Yes SR lacks the KA torque but a KA did not come with factory turbo and a proper metal head gasket with arp studs… Many recepies our there for the ultimate SR. I like my BT SR b/c it doesnt have 200K plus Ks like all KAs out there…

KA-T some guys spend a fortune to build it right, if youre doing this you better have Money for internals. I dont cars if youre bolting a GT35 on it, it costs more. If u want turbo fun out of the box a SR Black top is usually as bulletproof as any motor that is taken care of.

Dont you have to purchase the SR motor WITH unknown MILEAGE and ALL the other supporting mods (intercooler,piping,bov,exhaust,manifold,injectors,fuelpump,piggyback ecu/standalone,nice mild cams,etc) lol …and if you want big power a bigger turbo than stock??? my point have always been that instead of buying a used motor do a refresh on a ka longblock with forged pistons metal head gasket,arp head studs and your set for around the same money,actually LESS. Dude u got to buy the USED SR 1st for like $2000 or more then buy the same stuff/supporting mods as the kA anyway and at that point they will both make and handle 400whp except the KA will have about 1000km`s or less so do the math bra…

most motors that come from Japan have between 25,000 to 60,000 miles. This is because of strict emissions laws that are enforced over in Japan, once cars reach 40 to 50 000m instead of tuning their cars up to comply with emissions standards, they go buy new ones. These used motors, in most cases have less milage on them than any KA ur gunna rebuild. As far as plug and play goes, grab a motor for 2 g’s and i guarantee you can find a fuel pump, fmic, and exhaust on ebay that will collectively be less than a g note.
If you want to be rippin in ur car this summer, buy a sr, grab some shit off ebay and givr.

Keep living the pipe dream, SR motors with 30k miles are history

i have had my sr for 4 years now… no major problems… thing takes a beating and keeps on going… but this summer im gonna give ka t a go. see what that deals me

its worse than a pipe dream… 1st of all japan is in kilometers like us, now please tell me how many front clips have you seen with 25-60,000 ks on them wake up man... 2nd when you look at those motors,thats if you even you know what to look for, only a handful look like they geniunely have very low ks on them… i love SR`S man i got nothing against them, but i give credit only where credit is due, this is my opinion:

If your looking to do a swap and be content with t25 or stock t28 kiddy power, do an SR swap… if you want to build a nice revving circuit/time attack track car do a SR swap.

If you want big man power and a street killer do a KA-t… if you want a drag monster do a ka-t very simple…

Drift machine both ka/sr but i would chose my turbo wisely for the ka just because i wont rev bounce a ka motor, or any motor for that matter. if you make enough torque you shouldnt have to rev bounce ur motor/too much

Do it right and you will love it man, i like arias and cp pistons if ur going forged but at the end of the day its realy gonna come down to ur tuning so pay a lot of attention to that…

KA-T’s are known to be killers in the 1/4 mile, KA-T.org has loads of resources and enlightenment lol.

Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races :wink:
-Carroll Shelby

also wanted to add, when you got a broad torque band, it’s easier to get that drift going and the smoke flowing!