Turbo Gurus... another blown turbo?

Ok, the turbo on the lotus is pushing a TON of oil past the seals. It smokes and the charge piping was loaded with oil. It’s a GT28RS. It has never seen boost. I inquired about installing an oil restrictor before i started it. This is what i was told.

The small size of the oil drain concerns me slightly. Has there ever been any issues of damaged turbos? Books I have read on the subject recommend 10AN (5/8 inch) or larger. 6AN is considerably smaller.

With your question on the oil drain, the new turbos that are used now are equipped with a restrictor in the turbo and we also suggest using another restrictor as well. The oil line provided is much bigger than it actually needs to be. So basically forget what you know about the previous old school turbos and what they call for. The new ones have changed and it provides more flow than needed. The GT turbos are actually not in any books so the information that you have is incorrect.

We will try to locate another restrictor as soon as possible and get one out to you.

I hope that answers all of your questions!

Thanks Christian,

Another resrictor? I didn’t know mine was missing… Now I am concerned… what size orrifice? And will I be causing damage running without the second restrictor?

no, no…yours is not missing, we are adding one because there have been some customers with oil leaking from the turbo due to too much flow. This will solve the problem. You will not be causing damange without the second one, it will just get a little messy :slight_smile:

So there you have it. “It will get messy” and, oh, did it ever. Oil was spraying all over my motor from the BOV, could have started a fire.

Anyways, I bought a restrictor from mike, it will be here today. Are the seals permanently damaged? I checked for thrust play and there is some, but there was some when it was still brand new! I don’t have calibrated fingers, so i don’t know if it’s any worse. Again, the turbo never saw anything other than a few trips around the block entirely in vacuum. Do you think the seals are smoked now?

i doubt the oil pressure was enough to blow the seal open, just pushed some past, I would think it will be ok

This is what i think of when i think of bad seals…

I’m assuming it looked nothing like that…
I would try it with a restrictor and watch it…
but, all I know is what not to do :wink:

that’s what i am hoping, but i lost about a 1/2 quart of oil in less than 10 minutes of driving.

holy shit, umm that may change my opinion :eek:

Nothing like getting everything done in the last minute

did you fill your oil after installing and priming you turbo? that might account for part of the oil loss.

it was checked and refilled after priming and idling for a minute.

ehh idk if we burned that much off man, i mean quite a bit but it was during alo of idleing, setting the idle, revving a bit, then the actual 10mins on the road, some more screwing around with it running, another short drive around the block and that was it…

hmmmm…well, it sounds like the restrictor will solve the initial problem, but the seals may be damaged if you dumped 1/2 qt. in 10 min. just my $0.02. and yes, i am also scrambling 3 days before caarlisle to get my car done too.

I know this sounds really stupid - but did you put oil in your filter before you put it on?

I bet you some of that 1/2 quart is in there…

i disconnected the injectors and crancked the motor for about a minute. Ensuring that oil was flwoing out of the turbo drain line.
Then i checked/refilled the oil.

EDIT: andy, i am thinking about taking a half day today and a half (come in early and leave here at 10:30) on friday. When are you free? I have to help mike for a bit first.

i get out @2 and work 2-7 :confused:

it’s a ball bearing turbo … i’ll put my money on that the seals are broken and it’s going to need to be pulled cleaned up and seals replaced

i already have it out of the car. but you cannot replace the seals, you have to replace the CHRA.

Call up Forced Performance and ask them. They would know if the seals are gone or not.

www.forcedperformance.net

uh huh … which is the tecnical way of saying your fucked … which i think you are … i did some homework on everything after i talked to you and i’m pretty sure your fucked …

i cannot call a place i never ordered from and ask for advice, that is shady.

why people call here every day and do it?

use howies turbo off his gallant