how to check turbo for oil seals?

Okay I have a question regarding turbo seals. I was driving the other day and my friend said he noticed I shoot a small puff of smoke out of my exhaust(not underneath the car) when I down shift out of my exhaust. he said the color looked blue.

now if my pistons rings were having issues wouldnt I get oil coming out of the valve on the top cover? I checked the area for any oil residue and I didnt find anything so my guess was maybe something to do with the turbo, if the seals were going/gone would downshifting cause this issue I am having? could it be a exhaust valve sticking/leaking and causing this? if so how do I check a exhaust valve?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

oh forgot to add the build is:

ka24de
ross 8.5:1 pistons
eagle rods
cometic head gasket
650cc injectors
tuned ecu
n60 maf

id put money on ur turbo

definatly an oil seal in your turbo.

well it was the turbo but not sure exactly what went dead :smiley:

the front compressor wheel(cold side) bolt was completely off and in the maf piping!!! the wheel is not usable and the back wheel is fairly scuffed up(could probably still use it).

NOw I want to rebuild this turbo(not a ball bearing one) and I can get a garrett wheel for the cold compressor side and everything else it needs but my problem is the compressor wheels on the turbo have been balanced in terms of assembly( you can see little shaving marks on the back of the compressor wheels where they balanced it.) since the shaft and rear wheel are not damaged beyond being reused would I have to get it rebalanced? or can I get by with just rebuilding it with the parts in the rebuild kit?

you’ll have to balance it.

lol thats what I was a afraid of, oh well GT30R ftmfw!