Smoke from exhaust...pretty heavy during deceleration

OK…when cruising down Mcknight Rd. for example and I downshift throughout the gears, when I come to a stop the car puffs off smoke(oil burning). I can’t figure out why the hell its doing it.

It is NOT the turbo, I know that for a fact.

1.)New turbo w/ restrictor + did it with old turbo too
2.)Catch can w/ atmospheric vent
3.)stock pcv in place (going from intake manifold to valve cover)
4.)Compression is equal across the cylinders

Any ideas? I was thinking possibly valve seals?

rings or turbo

ringland/rings

how old is your pcv valve?

80K miles old…

It has CP pistons/rings so I’m doubting its the rings.
What rules out the valve seals?

seals

on another note…the motor has ZERO blowby…the catch can hasn’t had any oil in it at all so I’m thinking it is the valve seals - not the rings/ringlands.

The head is completely stock and I’m wondering if high EGT’s from my previous setup could have ruined the valve seals.

Leak down test will tell you what it is.

turbo

are you running the same oil lines on the new turbo as on the old one, if one of them gets kinked or clogged it can cause smoking either in boost or vacuum usually in vacuum.

valve seals are easy to diagnose.

let the car sit over night, the first time you start it in the morning, if you have any smoke first off and then it goes away, thats valve seals.

If you are downshifting / decelerating, the high vacuum load can sometimes pull oil through and burn it causing your little puff

high egt’s can shorten their life since the valves are getting the abuse and poof, hardens the valve seals right up.

its almost definately your rings. as stated valve seals will only do it on startup or do it all the time if they are totally trashed.

id pull the turbo and see if there is oil in the exhaust manifold, obviously if you have it in the turbo and downpipe its the turbo’s seals.

a leakdown hasnt proven useful diagnosing bad/cracked ringlands or oil control rings for me. but maybe i didnt do something right.

there is no blowby though?

yea thats because you compression rings are OK unlike your oil control rings, my car would read 200 accross the board on a compression test with 7% leakdown, but i have a cracked ringland. i get no blowby(excessive). but same issue you are having with decel.

ehhhh, I think its the valve seals. The head is off of my other motor, which I though had blown ringlands. After inspecting the motor it wasn’t the ringlands/rings. I noticed some oil dripping down the valve stem during install. I REALLY don’t feel like re-ringing this motor again! I’ll try this first, if its the oil control rings it will have to wait till next year.