Unique Performance in some trouble (restoration shop)

This company was getting huge fast.

http://thecarnut.typepad.com/steve_parker_the_car_nut_/2007/10/shelby-threaten.html

Interesting.

News gets worse and worse for them. They were at SEMA last week too promoting themselves.

There is also a video at the below link. True Blue, get out your tissues.

http://cbs11tv.com/local/local_story_309192500.html

Exotic Car Company Raided In Farmers Branch

(CBS 11 News) DALLAS Imagine spending six figures on an exotic car and never receiving the vehicle.

That’s what Farmers Branch police said happened to customers who bought from a company called Unique Performance.

The company restored Shelby Mustangs, a limited-edition muscle car, for a price of $200,000 per car.

Monday, police confiscated all 61 vintage cars from the company.

Many of the cars could be worthless because the vehicle identification number has been removed. Steal plates with illegitimate numbers covered up the scratched areas.

Police believe the company was involved in title-washing.

Heard about that place going downhill…not surprised.

What I AM surprised about though is that some idiot in the newroom let

Steal plates…
get by…

wooops, too bad for them… i always find it odd how companies with “unlimited” resources seem to hennessey themselves

Ahh crap, I was hoping that it was Unique Auto…whatever thats on Speed.

You mean the ones that do Unique Whips. Yea, wish that shop would go up in flames.

Didn’t these folks broker Foose cars as well? Not sure that “broker” is the operative word, but I seem to remember them being involved somehow with Chip.

Yup. They were going to build 500 of the Foose 69 Camaros. Guess if you own one now, they even became more limited edition.

Wow, do a search and find a few pissed off people

http://uniqueperformancescam.com/?gclid=COqgtqDIyI8CFQg1WAodlEBC9A

http://www.fixeleanor.com/

Shit… those were the guys making the GT500E’s… sucks when you get too big and start f-ing things up by cutting corners and signing up for stuff you can’t do…

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/showtopic.php?tid/1474661/pid/1772081/post/last/m/1/#LAST

Supposedly an ex-UP employee wrote this little tidbit:

poor management is part of it but shear free spending is what did them in no owning up for anything and i would like to apologize to each and every person i had to talk to while running there online sales dept because most of my statements were not true i knew you weren’t gonna get your parts but i have a family to feed i know this will get pulled off forum but i had to get it off my chest i am truly sry for all of your losses

If that’s true, and the cars are confiscated with no legal VINs or titles, then those 61 fastbacks are going to the crusher.

Fucking unbelievable. I told you Eleanors were bad news…

Probably the worse part about this is that they are tied with Chip Foose and Carroll Shelby, 2 of the biggest names in the hobby. The negative press can possibly hurt them a bit.

As for multiple people wiring them over $200,000, that’s just stupid.

Don’t rule it out yet. They could be sold for parts. I’m not sure of the law in Texas.

Like I said, they were at SEMA, but a lot more low key than in past years. Nice job on fucking up the hobby :tup:

wait they are in farmers branch? shit, that is down the street from where I work

EDIT: that white/red stripe one is fucking hot

Who wants in on some discount vintage exotics… I bet everything gets auctioned off

The big problem is that UP was just buying up whatever they could get their hands on. Which is okay so far as the final cars go, as they were completely restored, but some of the methods of getting the cars may or may not have been completely documented, or legal.

The funny thing is they could avoid a lot of this trouble if they just bought Dynacorn bodies and built from there, although they would be registered as kit cars.

People that build cars like UP or that build kit cars have in the past also bought a model of the same year and transferred over the registration info. Say for example they have a 65 Cobra Kit. They went out and bought a shell/title/vin for a 65 Galaxie and would use that information for the kit car. Looking at the vin and window tag then made it more authentic since it said 1965 Ford instead of 1997 Homemade (or whatever they would say).

Some guy on OT found all the cars @ the impound

walked into a wrecker service that I ususally buy cars from and the first thing I see is this.

http://i10.tinypic.com/4r9lhuh.jpg

So I asked what the hell? They said that the police department had them pick these cars up.

http://i7.tinypic.com/687jz9v.jpg

I see rows and rows of them. Then he tells me that the finished products are in back.:eek3:

http://i17.tinypic.com/632f81z.jpg

Following our report on Texas-based Unique Performance (“Trouble at the Mustang Ranch: Shelby may cut ties with Unique Performance,” Oct. 15), the company’s president and founder, Douglas S. Hasty, provided the following extended responses to AutoWeek’s questions concerning the company’s future:

AW: What happened? You guys were cranking out muscle cars every week when we visited a year ago. Now you have 60 buyers waiting for cars and a number of lawsuits. What is the hold up?

Hasty: We’re still the same company with the same vision. There are actually 106 vehicle orders, vintage, Shelby and Foose, currently in various stages of production. We are much further along than when AutoWeek last visited in terms of our growth and ability to move more vehicles through the more than 40 stages of fabrication and production.

AW: Will you be able to deliver the cars on order?

Hasty: Unique Performance has just completed a round of funding that will ensure that we continue to complete the cars on order and take additional new orders going forward.

AW: Will you be able to continue building and delivering cars in the future?

Hasty: Yes. We are proud of our team, company, and the vehicles we produce. We look forward to building and delivering one of kind vehicles to a discerning customer base worldwide.

AW: How many cars have you delivered to customers?

Hasty: Since 2003, Unique Performance has delivered 119 vehicles. Traditionally, production of vintage vehicles averaged 12 months from start to delivery. However, because of the issues with Shelby engines stemming back to August 2006, Unique’s timetable for production of vintage vehicles has doubled to as many as 24 months during the past year. While the engine issues were resolved to the company’s high quality standards and complete customer satisfaction, it did take a toll on the delivery of all vintage vehicles.

AW: Where did the money go that was received from customers who ordered cars?

Hasty: Deposits are required to cover the cost of parts, labor and the many stages of production necessary to complete vehicles. On average, vintage vehicles require 2000 hours of labor from beginning to completion and delivery. With 106 cars in process and an average of 1,000 hours per car plus parts, every deposit received has been invested into the 106 vehicle in production.

AW: Is Tecstar going to continue to build the Foose Stallion or will Unique Performance do that?

Hasty: We would like to clarify the relationship between Unique Performance and Tecstar. Unique Performance holds the licensing rights. Unique Performance Concepts represents the partnership between Unique Performance and Tecstar. Nothing has changed relative to this relationship. Unique Performance will continue to deliver the Foose Stallion vehicles.

Additional comments from Hasty:

We would like to put any concerns about customer complaints versus customer satisfaction into perspective. With 119 vehicles delivered to date and 106 vehicles in various stages of production for a total of 225 customers, we are only aware of 10 customers who have taken action against Unique Performance. Three of these cases have been settled and seven cases are in the process of being addressed. That’s less than 5 percent.

While we strive for 100-percent customer satisfaction, we recognize that issues will arise from time to time and we will address them. Fortunately, most Unique Performance customers recognize that what we are doing with these cars is more of an art as it is a scientific, mechanical process. The finished products are among some of the most desired, unique vehicles in existence. That has been a driving force behind our company’s creation and phenomenal growth the past four years.

While we regret that Shelby Licensing felt it necessary to issue a news release announcing its concerns, it has allowed both parties (Unique Performance and Shelby Licensing) to come to the table and address issues and concerns head on. At this point we are working through their concerns while addressing the legitimate concerns from our experts and customers relative to the Shelby engine failures we experienced during the past year. We look forward to a mutual solution that allows both parties to continue in a successful partnership going forward.

I need to know where that wrecking yard is. :stuck_out_tongue:

usually when a company grows at a rate like that they are making “shortcuts”. Sounds like Motorex a few years ago

Interesting… Wonder if/when those impounded cars will go back to the shop of if it’s completely game-over.

And if what he said is true that only 10 customers out of 225 have issues, that’s NO WHERE near the Hennessey mess. There have been lots of cases like this in business and from what I can tell it maybe (big maybe) just a case of people over-reacting and causing drama over “normal” business.

Hell even on here there has been issues with companies getting their name tarnished because of one or two people saying things; warranted or not.

I think it’s more of a deal even though it is 10 people, since it is 10 people with money and the funds to pursue it legally. They are buying $140 to $300,000 cars. If it’s a local shop, it’s hardly going to make a wave in the industry like this.

Plus with UP being tied to Foose, Shelby, OCC, and all the other big names…