VW GTI pros & cons?

I am looking at a 02 GTI VR6 with about 130k on it and i was wondering what the pros & cons are to these cars? Whats better, the 1.8 turbo or the VR6? How is the reliabilty of both? Anything or experiences u guys have had i want to hear em, i have always liked these cars and thought about trading the GTP in or selling it for one. The downside…not as much room asd the GTP inside.

vr6’s sound so sweet with an exhaust.

Yes, i was watching vids on youtube of them last night:burnout:

vr6 > 1.8t
faster and more reliable

how much u wanna spend on a gti i minght have one 4 sale

fixed

GTI’s are fun.

Parts, both factory replacement and after market, like exhausts are pricey.
Repairs won’t be cheap. Budget for them.

The 1.8T is the better option for those who want to modify the car more then just and intake/exhaust. The VR6 engine is also very good but less of a tuner special.

130k is not low mileage but for 5 years that should mean a lot of highway. A good thing, especially on the V6.

I Imagine the car is a 5 speed?

VW’s are good because they are fun to drive and lack the “riceboy” stigma. With rims and optionally suspension are very attractive cars with lots of room.

People aren’t running to buy these now that the new Gti is out so make sure you get a great deal.

LOOK AT THIS ONE.

The 337 is the best looking GTI ever made. Even if you spend more up front you’ll get the sweet looking rims and front fascia/lip at time of purchase.

Note: I do not know the seller or anything about the car. I just know the 337’s are neat cars.

And they have a six speed.

True,

Is that the 24V VR? they make a good bit more power then the 12v.

As for VW, there ok the wireing is a mess and its not very easy to work on at all.

i loved and miss my gti vr6. it never let me stranded. had a few issues with window regulators but it was fixed by a recall. i also had to replace an injector and a coilpack during 7 years of ownership. i gave it to my sister so she can have a dependable daily driver.

plus the cold weather package is great. heated seats, windsheild washer nozzles, and mirrors. also the multi function display, auto dimming rear view mirrors. the car had a lot of bells and wisthles for the price.

i love the low end torque and the sound of my vr6 with a 2.5 inch exhaust.

devin,

just buy my car.

the 1.8t is a better choice, as far as modding, working on it and longevity… i haven’t had many problems with these cars aside from some electrical issues that have been the same issues with any vw i’ve owned…

the 337 is not the ‘best’ gti…

I had a '98 Jetta GLX VR6. Loved it, great car. Tight, quiet, and dependable.

Replacing the timing CHAIN regularly is the key.

well thats interesting… the VR6 uses a chain! :slight_smile:

I like the 24v VR6, matched with a 6 speed the car is quite fun!

You know what I mean. Keep the timing equipment replaced! :smiley:

1.8t is difficult to tune unless you spend a good amount of money. Vr6 just needs to breathe and there is plenty of power.

what are you talking about? they both have plenty of OEM ECU Chip options that run $500-$1000 and the gains are obviously larger for the boosted car…
if 500-1000 is a good amount of money, then you (whomever) shouldn’t be looking into buying a new(er) VW!!!

The only con i see or know of is that its still made by VW!!! Pain in the sack to work on, never herd one good thing about them.

Waiting for sonny to argue this: but the VR is more reliable then a 1.8t, especially when you start modding it. More or less its common sense since one is N/A, so less stuff to go wrong…

buy neither, they both suck. pretty much all vw’s from 1993 onward lick taint. thats my humble opinion. although i will say the newest gti has caught my eye. but would rather buy something else than pay for a new gti.

if i were to buy a “newer” vw car, i’d go w/ the audi tt. Drivetrain is stout (well, for a vw), and alot of the parts interchange w/ other vw/audi.

either way you look at it, a vw vr6 or a 1.8t engine is going to be around 1800from a salvage yard. maroneys gets 1800-2200 for 1.8t’s, and 1800-2400 for 24v vr6’s. 12v’s bring in around 1k to 1500 pending mileage. obviously older 12v vr6 mk3 engines are way cheaper-- like 350-750 range.