What modern autos will someday be classics?

I can’t even read this thread in entirety. Too much “stupid” on one page is just hurting my brain.

A few things I’ll mention that should be recognized.

1. This has unintentionally turned into a masked Domestic v. Japanese v. German import thread.

2. If you said the Honda Civic or any kind of eclipse is going to be classic, you are retarded. Only people like solo2scoob will be interested in it.

3. If you said your run of the mill f-body is going to be a classic, you are an inbred faggot.

4. Whoever said the GNX or type-R are correct. Possibly a Supra or RX7. Possibly an 30th Anniversary chevy, possibly specific cobras.

These are just my opinions, take them for what you will. If you disagree though, that makes you an idiot.

Do we have a definition of what a classic is yet?

I love how 80% of the people who replied here list the car that they own as going to be a classic someday. Most cars are way over produced these days. The automakers don’t give a shit about collector status, they care about units getting moved.

20 years and older.

So true :clap:

are there any cars from the 50’s/60’s that NOBODY is interested in a super clean example of?

Every clean car I see from that era is “cool” to a degree. I can’t tell if it’s a 50’s econobox or a rare-ass collector car, really.

I think any car could conceivably be a “classic”

I doubt any civic will be a classic worth $1xx,xxx except maybe the first hybrids when they seem ancient in 30yrs… But who knows maybe they wont be worth shit. But like i said definetly the gnx, syclone, typhoon, lingenfelter anything, stock svt anything, except the focus… And those are for my american cars of coarse mint ferraris and other exotics will only increase in value…(trex!)

Also anything mint and jdm will be worth boat loads im sure!

what about an NSX? people already get hard on’s over um.

ok a lot of you guys took this way too seriously. this was supposed to be a fun thread but right off the bat people start getting bashed for OPINIONS (gotta love nyspeed and all the sarcastic assholes on here).

i know i mentioned storing the car to turn a profit, but it’s more or less like what do you expect you will see at a “classic” car show 30 years from now? there is going to be a market for every vehicle around when we’re older because all of the cars we’re driving now will be so dated, you wont be able to find clean, unmodded versions of them.

i just kinda put myself in my dads shoes for a bit, and when we go to shows and he drools over all these cars he used to own, i’ll go to a show in 30-40 years and reminisce about all of the cars i used to own.

i dont think there will be any cars like the classics we have now or the interest in cars maybe 30 years down the road ecspecially if there is emissions or some shit. my mom had a 72 chevelle she bought for 500, sold it for $750 in practically mint condition 5 years later in order to buy like a 80 toyota corolla which she had to take a loan out for. needless to say that toyota piece of shit is probably worth $5 and her chevelle is worth about 20k.

bad investment eh?

It’s going to be cars that we wished we own right now, and/or have friends that currently own. The Hemi Cuda wasn’t a very expensive or exotic car at the time, but now they are among the most desirable.

my guesses:

Euro crowd: B5 S4, E36 M3, E46 M3, VW MK4 1.8t…

JDM: Any gen Civic Si, Supra, Rx7, 300zx, DSMs, blah blah blah

Chest pounding domestic: 3rd and 4 gen f-bods, fox bod stangs, Buick GN, t type, dakota RT

My point is that what makes a classic isn’t necessarily whether it is a good car or not, but if it is something people will think is cool and brings back memories of the old days. The old muscle cars that demand so much $ today were really garbage from the factory. I have driven a lot of these cars. They were and still are junk! Poor build quality, terrible handling and dangerous brakes were the most common traits among these cars. With that being said, I see the DSM having no trouble becoming “classic”

I agree

In the 50s-60s there were definitely some cars that were better/faster/cooler than others. People who owned 69 Camaro SSs probably laughed at the guys driving 4 door novas. But the Nova is now ALSO considered a classic, and has appreciated in value over time. So you can say all you want that “Oh theres nothing special about that car”, but there are always followings for cars, and once they become rare, the value increases and the car will become a “sought after classic”.

I’m tired, so that probably wasn’t very coherent, I’ll edit tomorrow if I re-read it.

Its already a classic :wink:

so yeah,I would say the 90’s jap cars
Supra/3000GT-Stealth turbos/RX7/NSX/300ZX

S2000?:eekdance:

I don not agree with the E36M, not with 700,000 copies of it existing, or the E46M with 400,000, the only M3 that will be collectible is the E30.

I think any 30 year old car in great shape could be considered a classic. Whether it holds much market value is another question.

Bottom line: Who knows? Wait and see…

My 2001 Sunfire is going to be a classic some day.

Seriously…buy it now.

LOL
Well there wont be a demand for crashed Vw’s thats for sure.

I’d say fox bodys (even tho they were made before 1990)
Probably 4th gen fbodys.
Potentially anything gas powered 25 yrs from now.

a ton. every supercar. fd’s, tt z32’s, probably some cobras or ss’s or something, typhoon, cylone, e30m3, z06, etc. in 20 years its gonna be hard to find nice examples of these.

35 years ago noone cared about 240z. i mean they did, i always hear “oh man i had this it was great” but there was no real concern. Heck 5 years ago there was no real concern. Now they go for ~15k in nice shape. e30m3’s are going for 30k. there are def cars from this generation that will last.

I’m curious if cars like the st00k will be classic. obv the nsx will, but what about their more “average” i guess you’d call it, sportscar?

no one mentioned the new ZR-1? (obv when its released) if im not mistaken, it’ll be the first corvette ever supercharged from the factory…thats gotta be worth some serious bank eventually, right?

skylines? R33’s that is, unless we can eventually get R34’s here…

i personally dont think the new(er) GTO’s will be worth much, unlike the old ones that are being sold now…same goes for the GT500’s…i just dont see it…same holds true for the charger and the challenger etc…any car that was originally produced at one point, discontinued, and then RE-RELEASED will never be worth as much as the “original” design, sorry, its the sad truth…

the reason the cars now are considered “classics” or “collector” cars is because at that point in time that specific car was considered the “first of its time” or w/e it is those d-bag car collectors call it…its still all based on personal preference…i could say car a, b and c would be worth a shit load…and joe schmoe will say car x, y and z will be worth more…obv the lower the production numbers on a car the more valuable it’ll be worth in time w/ low miles on it…

Any minitruck for that matter

The last of the light, body on frame vehicles.

Seriously, just like you see old ford and chevy street rods, give it time.