What to expect $$ wise for some head work

While I agree, That’s about all that can / should be done @ home.

IMO, cleaning up casting flash and shit isn’t equivalant to porting a head. Much as I hate to say it JnJ is making sense :crap:, Unless the time and money is spent to make a noticable improvement in flow charactoristics and chamber shape - whats the point?

Now, if Viper just wants to waste an ‘extra’ head… so be it. It’s his wallet. Let him waste his winter.

:gotme:

damnit, zero beat me while replying.

What’s the point in doing it if You’re not going to do it properly? Improving flow numbers by 30-40% > then making a “decent” head.

Mine would be sufficient for street and track use. Plus, mine would be significantly cheaper.

I didn’t put any numbers in my post so how do you know what I consider a “decent” head?

ive heard enough about “xyz ported my head and said it flows 457cfm @.050” and when the head was actualy tsted by that person at a local shop, it flowed WORSE then stock overall

head porting isnt rocket sciences, its ART … art is way fucking harder then rocket science

and a homemade flow bech has to be about as accurate as a homemade micrometer, and would be worthless at testing the portjob under varying atmospheric loads , or for checking the swirl inthe combustion chambers

^
bs, i port heads on the same table i eat my breakfast.
:slight_smile:

With the right knowledge a homemade flow bench can be accurate. Since when does it matter where something is made? The question is how was it made, right?

I’ve got $100 bill that is Your’s if You can port your own aluminum head, at home, with a homade flowbench and make the thing flow 35% better then stock on a professional bench.

-Nick

oh, a call out.

with money.

Lol, Well I would need more than $100 to do this, and I wouldn’t do it to mine own head cause it flows enough for 500hp stock and I will never be near 500hp.

Why?? I thought it was soooo easy?

Set me up with a garage, compressor, money to build the flow bench, a head, and pay for the before and after tests and I will take a shot at this.

I never said it would be easy, I am just pointing out that it can be done without having to pay a shitload of money.

i consider " a shitload of money" to be:

“spending more to do it yourself then to pay to have a shop do it”

i consider “a great price” to be:

“paying less to do it yourself then to pay a shop to do it”

sounds like you building a flowbench would be option A

Well in this case it wouldn’t be worth it to do all this work to win $100 dollars. I am pretty sure an accurate flow bench would be less than $500. You can build an injector flow bench for around the same money as well.

Why do you hate to say it, my advice is pretty sound in the performance dept.

Also in regards to the homemade flow bench, what do you plan on using a Shopvac and maybe some water and vinyl tubing. You know there is a reason something like this cost good money

http://superflow.com/flowbench/sf1020/sf1020-lg.gif
I would say the chances of someone reading a book and producing a good head that out flows stock and every port and is the same on every port is 1:10,000 if not more

Yeah if they don’t take any measurments of what they are doing.

yea inever really said iw as gonna start shaping ports and shit, just clean it up, the stock hyundai castings are horrible

injectors flow liquid, and liquid is easy to collect in viles … making it easy to pick out which injectors match which by letting them spray for a set amount of time

flowing air is much more complex then liquid shooting out of an orifice

sounds to me like you want to get crazy on a head. if you are thinking of removing so much material that you might get into a water passage, then you are in over your head for a first time / one time project.