Winter head porting

Hi guys,
i am doing my winter head porting again…see link for services offered…i can do about 10 heads in total in the winter

adam

http://www.turbo240sx.ca/SERVICES.html

KA only?

no…any head…except cast iron buggers…

see site

how much

Click the link.

Are these prices with re and re? Or is this bring the head to you?

bring him a clean bare head + 1 intake valve + 1 exhaust valve + IM gasket + EM gasket

you get ported head, valves and gaskets back unharmed

I finally clicked :wink:

These prices are really decent too.

Heh, shop around, I dare you

really good prices Adam!
If anyone wants their SOHC head ported I bet Adam is King :wink:

Andrew.

cool…im actually doing this myself right now.

:afro: giggity giggity giggity!

i have been doing porting for years for fellow racers…and since i have a full shop now…i am starting to branch out a bit…

re: heads…

actually i have done more honda heads now than anything :slight_smile:

though i know the DE and E heads extremely well

adam

I am curious about this…

So, the entry level porting, you say will be about 2-4% better flowing. Approx. how much power would this equate to? I have a drop in KN filter and a 2.5" stainless exhaust from the manifold back. Would I actually feel the power gains? And what about at the 4-6% increase in flow, what would that feel like?

My dad builds old car engines (babbitt and stuff), I have seen alot of different domestic heads and they look pretty choppy inside, but haven’t seen many Japanese heads and heard they are much better in that respect.

Thanks Adam.

P&P is not a seat of the pants kinda mod. Put it together with a few other finishing touches on a nice engine and it can add up enough to put you on the podium instead of in the stands.

p&p on domestics can give gains of up to 20-25 hp on a good agressive job

heh, MPs P&P template for B/RB series big blocks is worth up to 100hp.

Agreed, P&P is not a “seat of the pants” upgrade.

You’ll notice it a lot more if you’re already flowing the max of your head.

It’s hard to add a HP figure to it, because it depends on every other mod you’ve done.

Let’s plug some numbers.

The Sr20 flows 175 cfm on the intake side, 154 on the exhaust.

Stage 1 would push that to 184 cfm intake and 161 cfm

using a very rough 1.5cfm = 1 hp

the stock head can flow enough air (at atmosphere) to support 120hp

Stage 1 - 123 hp

Sounds like next to nothing … but, this is at atmospheric pressure.

Throw a turbo into the mix at 1 BAR of boost (2 x atmo)

240 hp for stock

246 for stage 1

250 for stage 2

271 for stage 3

Now, these are just theoretical numbers. Cam selection, exhaust etc will all change these numbers. More you can see how small percentages of airflow can add up to big power.

cams make a huge difference when added in conjunction with port and polish…

in the case of a honda 1.6l head i gained 7% flow which on a honda head is fantastic…

from personal dynotesting from porting my KA24E head…and adding a 3 inch exhaust…no other mods i gained 23rwhp and 32ftlbs torque from those 2 mods…which is pretty impressive

its like they said above…the whole is greater than the individual parts, all these mods do is increase the engines VE which is the goal to make more power

adam

Ok, cool, thanks for the replies guys.

That was some good stuff.

I gotta get me some cams.(among other stuff heh…)