What to expect $$ wise for some head work

Im gonna attempt to do the P&P myself over the coming winter months, i setup a nice workspace in my basement so ill have the time to do it… and stuff like that i enjoy doing… however i want to get some 1mm oversize intake and exhaust valves installed… so i was wondering what i can expect to pay to get that done.

why not wait til normal hours and call hybrid?

b/c DIY costs less and lets you actually learn something other than how to sign a check…

besides, hes done a damn good job with everything else so far…keep it up deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever :tup:

Hey no disrespect here, but do you know what you are doing? I seen you post another thread about cutting a head apart to see how much material you have to work with, so obviously you are looking to change the port shape, not just simply smooth the ports which is a very minimal gain. Do you know what changes to make, and more importantly do you have a good flowbench, and can you produce repeatable ports. If anyone doesn’t have direct access to or own a flowbench then they have NO BUSINESS porting cylinder heads. The money you will spend on carbide burrs and sanding rolls, and tools you could probably pay a professional (aka someone who ports head for a living) to port you heads

Valve job is probably around $150-$200 depending on where you go

im not gonna go crazy on the port and polish im gonna do… just see whats goin on in there… nobody has yet… so i have a free head, i figured i may as well cut it up

i have all the sanding rolls etc needed, and i bought a couple of books on the subject…

no fun in paying for somebody else to do something i can probably teach myself

yeah no fun is going slower also for time spent. Books CAN NOT teach you how to port a cylinder head, that comes with years of experience and the correct tools mainly a flow bench. Instead you are going to read a book, spend alot of time messing around and maybe hope you did good?? Sounds to me like a LOSE, LOSE situation

the problem with head work is getting all the ports symetrical… no way in hell you can do that on the first try with a book in the other hand…

JnJ is making sense

while i agree with you guys, if he has an extra head and just wants to do it to learn/for practice, then why not? if it turns out slower he can always throw the other untouched head on the car :shrug:

Give me your Cobra heads! u arent using them anyway :slight_smile:

:rolljerk: :mamoru:

:hay: Get yer own heads :hay:

when it comes to head porting, anything thats realy worth the effort is worth taking to a shop that knows their shit

my DIY porting tasks:

-remove casting lines
-smooth port walls of the sand cast surface, no farther
-port match
-very conservative removal of valve shrouding
-trim the sharp edges in the combustion chanbers to elim hotspots

after that, porting becomes a black art, charge velocity has to be kept as uniform as possible from the top to bottom of the port, and the valve bowl area is very easy to fuck up

its more cost effecive to get a second job w/ your time and pay someplace like jancen / oddy’s / hybrid to do it then to go try it yourself and waste alot of free time

and youll get way better gains too

not to discourage you tho, not trying to sound negative

I’ll trade you this http://www.brondell.com/intro.php4 for your heads.

Both Swash are equipped with dual retractable wands - one for a posterior wash and one specifically designed for a feminine wash. The wands spray aerated warm water providing a soothing, cleansing wash. The temperature and strength of each spray is adjustable to ensure a perfect experience every time. Both wands incorporate a self-cleaning cycle before and after each use to ensure superior hygiene.

so its a toilet seat that licks yo ur ass clean? :mamoru:

I know Mike is considerig it

LOL

What is a Swash?

A Swash is a high-tech toilet seat (also known as a seat bidet) that utilizes two retractable water wands to provide a fresh and hygienic cleansing of posterior and feminine areas. A Swash actually replaces your conventional toilet seat. Better than a conventional toilet seat, it has a heated seat and delivers a warm water wash with temperature, pressure, and pulsation adjustability. All functions are easily operated at the push of a button through side-mounted controls (Swash 400) or through a remote control (Swash 600).

Jack if you can make this fit and work in my cobra we have a deal bud. :slight_smile:

hey. gimme a call. I can get the valve work done for ya at a very good price. I can also get the head flowed very cheap also so you can see where your at. This is the same guy i use for my motor builds.

This is not the answer to everything.

When I did a P & P on my head I just cleaned up the casting, knife edged a little and rounded a little. After reading about it and what not I felt confident doing that little bit of work. Not counting the air compressor (which someone already had) I spent less that $100 on tools, and the small stand I built to hold the head at a nice angle.

^
what you did is not porting. its cleaning up. if thats all he wants to do, fine… an untrained monkey can do that.

if he wants to “port” a head, he will ruin 10 heads before making 1 good port. (not 1 good head, 1 good port)
there is a reason GOOD head work is expensive. like JnJ said, it comes from years or experience… think of a head porter as a lvl 50 dark mage (was that computer geeky enough?)

if you want really good head work done, call Larry at Endyn.
(enter the Endyn haters)

You guys make it sound like this stuff is rocket science which it is not. A simple homemade flow bench, basic measurement equipment and his tools can turn out a decent head. It’s not like there is a porting god that only bestows the gift to certain people.

you put your backyard head up against an Endyn head and we will see which one flows better.