Anyone local and reputable that does head work?

So far out of the couple people i have asked, no answers. I am thinking about picking up a set of LS6 heads from Psychopjv. I am debating on either throwing them on as is or having them worked over a little bit. I dont want them hacked, just figured i would try local before i would ship them halfway across the country.

i hear Nytrus1 does good head work

you could ship them to headgames in nj :slight_smile:

:fry:

Studderin ported a set of stock LS heads and put down over 450 at the wheels. He didn’t do a whole lot to them either iirc, I know there are pics on here somewhere. I am not aware of ANYONE in this area that does porting on LS stuff out of a machine shop though.

He said his car had stock heads :tif:

I wouldn’t have anyone local port LS1 heads…If it was some LT1 pos I would but not an LS1.

The ones on it right now are. He had ported a set a while ago and then sold them for $800 bucks on here, i’ll go search for it.

EDIT: he took the pics down http://nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55349

I guess he doesn’t want to do them again though, :frowning:

lol hmmm

Cartek or Studderin?

Skunk gives head.

Funny timing, like 3mins ago got a text someone is bringing a set of 243’s tonight, I’m gona port after Xmans. I might do some prep and layout next week?
The set of LS1 241’s I did last winter, I put on my car for a few days, just to dyno. Put down 466whp, I think 470 one pull with the I pipe open. WTQ was 410, I think 411 one pull. Still had stock LS1 valves, and valve job. The car didn’t seam that fast to me, everyone the rode in it said it was faster then I thought, but it was just spinning all the time. Thats also with the dana 60 rearend so my car dyno’s like 15 whp less then a 10bolt car at this power. I thought I posted this stuff on NY fbody? Also had a FAST 78mm, I ported and did a lot of epoxy work. Fitting a 85mm TB, and larger plenum inlet, and runner straiting. Didn’t even shorten then running up yet, witch has power there with this setup. Because the Sperminator bought this up, this fall I put my factory unported heads back on to be a “cam only” setup. Witch were on the car all year it was running the, mid/hi 11’s street tires, Low 11’s @ 122 on the unported untouched heads. Just better valve springs on them, and my stock unported intake (ls6), and new era ported stock TB (75mm) it puts down like 418-420 whp 385-390wtq.

I used to do alot of 3800 stuff, Like 2005 when the gtp was 1st running 11’s it went 116mph with a smaller “XP” cam, gen3 M90 no spray, stock valve heads I ported. The fastest I think a gtp with ZZP or Intense racing CNC ported heads has gone like 113mph. But most GTPs only trap 110 with that cam, and a M90, IC setup. Another set of heads I ported went 119’s mid 11’s with a gen3M90 no spray on my car. Another local has gone 11.8 116.88 in a GTP after the ported a gen3 blower for his car, and redid his ZZP build setup (in MI and dyno tuned there), Car was stuck at 12.2 12.1’s at 113-114.

jt, Are they LS2 or LS6 heads, what year car are they off, what parts on on them?

they are pat’s heads. 243 castings… im sure he will chime in with the specifics

Jim cylinder heads on hinman

There some more info on that set here.

That set I ended up getting contacted about. Bret Beuer (sp?) ended up getting them send to his “shop” for better valves, and good valve job. I got some help on the runner improments, as it was my 1st LS1 heads form Joe M before he passed, last year from SAM. Bret was really impressed with then set, and what they flowed for how small the runner was. Not just all hogged out, like just about every other buget CNC LS1 head is. Thats why they made such good mid range, witch is funny, thats something Mr’s turboLS1 was talking shit about them in NY Fbody.:cjerk: There on the car and it was running a little while ago, I forgot to find out the numbers, what happened to them with a real valve, and valve job in them.

I think there 3 sets of 3800s I did here.
http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/fb.asp?m=2449186&key=ported&language=single

pardon me if i’d rather trust my heads with a reputable machine shop with cnc equipment and thousands in R&D rather than a kid and his die grinder. and my shot wasn’t even towards you, it was towards nytrus1. i was in his garage where he had a POS hogged/hacked head on a cinder block in the middle of his pig-sty of a garage with a pair of goggles and a grinding stone next to it and was selling them off as PMP (excuse me, no more “M” so i guess it’s just PP) Stage X heads, :picard: … oh and using a string and vacuum cleaner as a flow bench

The string and a vacuum isn’t for the flow benching, its to see how the air moves past the ports, right?

but i dont even want to get into this bullshit again…

my advice to a friend looking to do things the right way,… don’t just spend money to spend it, aka, dont settle with a “porter” because that’s what you can afford. not too many people i would trust with my heads, many will do more bad than good

“yes”, but im making a point. its a rather CRUDE tool to put it lightly

No question about it. A CNC and a solid program is going to do pretty damn good work! Just saying, the string thing, because I saw them do it on MythBusters on the personal flying machine episode :smiley:

:lol:

Once again I would not suggest anyone local for porting LSx heads…do some research but you will come to the same conclusion.

Maybe when Studderin is no long affiliated with Newera performance I would suggest them…

they are off a GTO. 243 casting with upgraded springs for the cam. no sodium valves or anything like that.