whats are the best coils?

im looking to get coils in the winter for my s14 what do you guys are the best ones or decent ones to drive drift with. begginer style… nothing to expensive somthign decent. ?

tein super drift y000.

but there’s a lot of variety of suspensions out there that makes it almost impossible to choose, like walking into an ice cream store and picking a flavour. But here’s some basics that will help us understand what you are looking for besides “drift, beginner’s style, nothing expensive”
How much are you willing to spend?

What about your oem suspension do you want to change?

List the things that you would look for in the very first drive on your new setup.

How much lower would you want the car to sit?

Related to the question above, is staying within oem alignment specs important to you and if so are you ready to pay what it costs to get that?

1500 or 2 gs max. im putting 18s on my car so dont want it to rub to much and i want to camber it also tilt the wheels… somthing decent. im having a baby also so i really dont want a stiff stiff ride… i still want that smooth driving as stock :slight_smile: or smooth as possible

Go with Stance (best coilovers for the price)… and get them from us.

Kei Office, Silk Road and JIC are good too, but are a bit pricey.

after taking a ride in a fd recently i’m turned 100% off of coilovers.

Gab(kyb) shocks and springs with pillowball mounts i will be running this comming spring.

I like my D2’s… lol

Stance are yet another version of the megan/D2/made in china stuff… not really a ‘good’ coilover kit… just cheap.

Start off with a set of good Koni Yellows ( 12 - 32 levels of adjustment depending on vehicle ) then add on the Ground control kit… you can order up any spring rates you want and you can even do a staged spring setup by ordering ERS springs. You are going to sacrifice ride quality for street use, regardless of what coilover setup you go with, at least with the GC coilovers you can change springs in between drift days to a 2.5" progressive and the konis are 100% rebuildable…

other then that, I really don’t see anything but Ohlins on my short list of quality coilovers now.

Thats one remark Ian I’ll call you out on. You know I’ve run all season on Stance (8 track outings). They are nothing like D2’s or megans. The quality difference is huge, I’ve had megans and d2’s in my hands. I’ve also driven a car with megans and been passenger in many cars with d2’s.

For the affordable price of the Stance coils, they beat everything else in there price range including silk-road as many of the guys on ziptied claim.

They are still shit coilovers in comparison to what I’d like to run on, however if you’ve never tracked a car with coils you would not notice the difference between 10k coilovers or 1500 dollar coilovers.

Matty, that remark is retarded.

Andrew.

I saw Adam’s Stance coilovers on his S14 … he drifted one season on them… they were done… in fact he’s had to remove them to get at least one repaired ( blown stanchion tube). The over all ’ fitness’ of the product after one season of drifting was not impressive…

I knew you’d call me on this one Andrew, ( as we’ve discussed this a few weekends ago). but your not drifting anymore your a track attack guy now… you’ve been using the suspension in a different way now.

I thought Adam was running on K-sport coilovers? Last I checked thats what he had.

Thats extremely weird if he is running on stance and they already blew, I may be gripping but i do have the occasional off and I hit every darn pot hole to work every morning and evening. They had my area torn up all summer. Everyone else I know running on them has not had a problem.

Andrew.

oops your right they are K sport… my bad.

even so Ohlins, are still the only ones on my short list…( if I dont’ make my own.)

Yeah K-sports are complete shit. I’ve heard too many horror stories. They are worse then d2’s.

Yes Ohlins dampers are top notch. When I do it again I’d probably run Ohlins dampers with a ground control kit with 10/8K springs and raised spindles :slight_smile:

Also, JIC-FLTA2-RS is another on my list.

Andrew.

love my megans

why?

Matty likes the company of men or very slutty women. Thats why :A

Andrew.

Why? A I’ve driven on d2’s teins, jic’s, and in a gtr or 2 on ohlins and for street/occasional track duty coilovers are a waste of time.

My thinking is like this:
Firstly i have a fucked back, been in physio for a year trying to re-couperate.

Secondly, my car is mainly a street car, my 4-link (when i pick it up from the shop) is made out of urethane bushings and adjustable arms. I like things firm but streetable.

3rdly, i refuse to by a coilover that doesnt have dapening and rebound adjustment.

4th, the days i was able to make it to the track i could not get over how well certian car’s handled on struts and springs matched to the car compared to the same car with coilovers.

This is just my thinking. Like it or don’t

And andrew, i didnt know the 1 armed bitch would get around the Son community like Derek’s old girl. :stuck_out_tongue:

[/QUOTE]And andrew, i didnt know the 1 armed bitch would get around the Son community like Derek’s old girl. :p[/QUOTE]

now that’s funny…

bound/rebound functionality is pretty specific to the high end of the spectrum. I doubt most compact tuners in north america would be able to figure out how to work those properly.

I see the problem here as being one of priority, a good coilover kit is only going to be as good as the weakest link in the system. For the S chassis that’s the frame first, subframe, then the linkages… Balancing out the build is key to making each part perform properly… Whenever you see them ( those who actually understand) talking about ’ tuning for a specific purpose’ this is part of that. A good example is BMI.; the Touge challenges… if someone has done a good job of ‘tuning FOR the event’ then they will end up usually getting the higher marks, it’s not always the fastest car that ends up in the finals.

Choosing your parts wisely is also a key… someone goes out and gets a set of linear springs for a car thats doing 80% street driving is going to end up with a bumpy and uncomfortable ride… where as purchasing a set of progressive springs or paired progressive tenders will not only get a better ride feel on the street but also the ability to setup for specific track qualities. The ability to use lighter rates means that the tyre contact on the track will improve.

^^^ bang on

Matty hows Derek’s Sister doing? :A

Andrew.

And andrew, i didnt know the 1 armed bitch would get around the Son community like Derek’s old girl.

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHA HOLY SHIT

eather way I am running a combo Tein Ha and JIC FLC1 with a different spring and they are pretty BUT I was just in an S13 with a set of TEIN RA’s at 10 and 12 spring rates and Holy crap was it ai nice drive. and not harsh at all. I have a very bad back and I was MASSIVELY supprised

what would your option be if you’re going to use your car as a daily driver and maybe take your car to the track a few times a season? would you rather get coilovers? or springs and shocks??? having a dilemma on choosing… opinions would be great