02-06 Mini Cooper S (Pro's/Con's?)

Hey I’ve been looking at a few cars that I could daily drive and yet still have a very fast and good handling car. I’ve always wanted a supercharged car(Forced induction really is fun) because you can modify the piss out of them, and they sound sweet.

I’ve been looking at the Mini Cooper S, specifically the 2002-2006 range.

I was wondering what your guys personal thoughts and opinions are on it.

Mind you I’m looking at this car for the following reasons:
Good handling, peppy engine with modification abilities
Good gas mileage
Good practicality
Sleeperability :snky:
Winter driveability (FWD?)
Reliability

If its not all of those, I guess I might be looking at it the wrong way.

Mind you, I have a fast strait line car(No screaming “BUY AN LS1 YOU FAG”, I already own one), I may be in the market for something like this at the end of the summer.

How bout a Mini Cooper…

jk… but seriously, this is exactly what you’re looking for. I feel as if they hold their value well, but im absolutely in love with these cars!

:gay:

I love mine, an '02 S. If you can swing the extra money, the '08 gets even better with the turbo. If you can, pick one up with a LSD. But yeah, I drive mine in the winter, and while it’s not quite as good as my Impreza was, it’s pretty solid. First and second gear are quite a lot of fun.

I have no regrets in buying mine, other than the cost and difficulty in changing my oil.

Hold their value amazingly well. I paid $12,800 for mine with 41k last March. Brand new, it barely broke $20,000. And I got an amazing deal - sticker was, at $14,800, one of the least expensive I’d found. If you can get yours with reasonable miles under $14,000, you’re doing well. But you can get a new one for less than $10k more with a warranty, included maintenance, a turbo, and a LSD!

Do it.

Don’t got that much coinage. I’ll have about 12k to spend, to be completely honest I’ll only have this car 2 or 3 years at most.

I’ve seen a few on auto trader for about 12k with like 55k miles on them. I’m not too worried about that, as long as it’s near mint condition. Not too interested in the turbo to be completely honest either. Turbos are fun, but I really love super charger whine… Like i said I have a fast car(That will only be getting faster haha) So the cheaper price, + supercharger is whats really drawing me in.

The other thing to remember on a higher mileage S is that the supercharger won’t last forever. And it’s an expensive piece to replace.

Yeah its rated to about 100,000 miles or so I’ve heard.

A replacement is about $600 used.

100,000 is about right. Do the math on the lower mileage cars, with the cost of the supercharger and depreciation, getting a slightly higher cost lower-mileage car might make more sense in the long run.

Whats the most HP you can punch out of these suckers reliably?

I know about getting a 15% pulley, tensioner, CAI, ECU tune and like a cat back or whatever.

I’m almost interested in turning this into a track car… Making it a really good weight to HP ratio.

It’s hard to reduce too much weight, might be able to get it down to 2,000 by dropping AC, rear seats, interior trim, etc, but… well.

As for power, just doing the JCW upgrades gets you to 230, IIRC. Again, depends how much you want to spend.

yep NO. if you want a fun fast car look else where IE STI, EVO

this car will NEVER be fast. if you drive to southern tear in the winter will also have you crying.

If you want a comfy, reliable, good resale value DD buy a civic. but this wouldnt be too far down the road as an option…

I got mine to ~250 at the crank. and then you hit a wall. without stupid money. when an evo sti starts higher then that and go go soooooo much faster sooooo mush cheaper. and still get you around in the winter.

I have a Firebird Formula. I don’t need something stupid fast because I can make this car faster than anything I’ll ever want to drive.

I need a DD that can be somewhat fun. Also, find me an evo or STI for under 12k that isn’t absolutely beat to piss.

I’m more interested in the gas mileage, and just having fun in a little go-cart factor that also is kinda practical.

I was looking at these before I got my M. It seems if you are willing to travel outside of NY you can get them MUCH cheaper. When I was looking best deal I found locally was like $13k. Found ones for around 8k outside of the area.

I still like the idea of one. The one I test drove was a BLAST even for that brief ride.

I’d love one for a DD. They handle really really well, quirky but quality interior fit n finish, easy on gas, and nobody will ever accuse you of compensating. :stuck_out_tongue:

I really like Mini Cooper S. If they had just a little bit more cargo space, I would be in.

Plus they hold like 50 gold bricks or about 2500 lbs.

I like 'em. But I know they have reliability issues. Coworker had one (S, manual trans car) that went into the shop 4 times in the six or so months she had it. Eventually traded it in on an SRT-4. This was in 2003.

I’d love a dark green / white top Cooper S. Cool cars IMO.

im trying to convince my gf to pickup an 07S for her … we test drove one, and it was hillarious to drive… and getting 30mpg isnt so bad

I would consider one if I could fit comfortably inside :lol:

surprisingly Super roomy inside. no cargo space though, unless you take out the rear seats…

mine got about 30-35mpg… only went in the shop 5 or 6 time from 0-65k I owned it or 1 year… stupid little things.

the real booger was it eat threw tires every 10k my driving style didn’t help but still far worse then any car Ive ever owned.

and it really was far worse in the snow then any FWD Ive had, but snows might help that…