02-06 Mini Cooper S (Pro's/Con's?)

Don’t get a STI or Evo, just go all out and build a turbo LS1 Miata, it will cost you less. :picard:

He’s not looking for a drag race car, like he said in his very detailed and precise first post, which you apparently ignored in making your recommendation:

Good handling, peppy engine with modification abilities - Not necessarily a drag car.
Good gas mileage - Important in a DD. Cooper S is 10 mpg better than the Evo or STI.
Good practicality - You can’t move a piano, or a kitchen table, but it’s small, easy to park, plenty of room for 4 people.
Sleeperability - It’s never going to out-run an Evo or an STI in a drag race, but on the street, if there are curves, on an autocross, even on a technical track, a MINI with a good suspension can run rings around a lot of higher HP stock cars. Especially if there are power mods.
Winter driveability (FWD?) - Yes, the AWD cars have an edge here. But it’s at the bottom of his list, and it’s not a problem.
Reliability - Plenty reliable.

As for resale, a Cooper S holds its value just as well as a Civic, maybe better. 2002 Cooper S sold for a hair under $20k, and is now worth around $11-13k. A 2002 Civic LX sold for a bit over $15k, and is now worth $7k. That’s about equal total depreciation, but the Cooper has a lower percentage. The trend is continuing.

Exactly.

Problem spotted! :lol:

Seriously though, there’s a lot of factors. Overall, it’s a fairly reliable car, and if you’re willing and able to do your own work, it’s not that expensive.

E: Yeah, I eat tires too. And you should really, really get snow tires.

Mini coopers are great if you want to look like a tool. I’d much rather have a WRX or something.

First you talk about a DD, then you’re talking about a track car.

Says the VW driver. :picard:

50x harder to find a reasonably priced, adult-driven WRX that hasn’t been beaten on than a MINI Cooper S. And if a WRX has been beaten on, usually the transmission and/or drivetrain are going to be the first thing to go, and it won’t be cheap, whether it’s the clutch, center-diff, etc.

I’m 6’4" 240 lbs, I have 2 inches of headroom (more than any car I’ve had since my Explorer), and when I put the seat all the way back, I can’t reach the pedals without pointing my toes.

If you can’t fit in one, you’re either 7’ tall, or weigh 350+ lbs. Or you haven’t tried.

Yeah, but i don’t think my VW is cool. Big difference. It’s simply (semi)reliable transportation with a fair amount of storage room. I have a cool car in the garage.

There are a lot of beat WRXs, sure, but take the initiative and find a good one, so you’re not stuck with some lame POS. I wanted a lame car, so i bought the rabbit. The OP wants something with a good aftermarket that’s quick and a great year round DD…

Didnt he just sell a wrx wagon, tho?

My car is cool for what it is. I’m not at all interested in straight line drag-racing, it’s one of the best cars out there for autocross (which I am interested in), and it’s unique and far from ugly. Some people turn their nose up at it, but most people like it. I’m not concerned with looking good in the car, I’m concerned with having fun with it. And it’s the perfect car for that, because it’s easy to drive, responsive, and peppy.

If you don’t like one, don’t buy one, but don’t try to project your opinions onto me, and act as if the car’s not good - it’s perfect for me, and possibly for the OP.

I’m sorry the that answering the question the OP posed is hurting your feelings so much.

Pro: good at autocross
Cons: Fggtmobile

WRX > mini.

Especially in buffalo.

The OP’s questions all indicated MINI. The WRX is better in snow, the MINI is better on gas. For a car that’s going to be modded and driven hard, I’ll take the MINI because the drivetrain’s not as fragile. Your opinion of MINI drivers is noted and completely irrelevant, because I’m sure the OP considered whether or not he thought it was a “FGGTMOBILE” before he decided he might be interested in buying one.

But by all means, keep on acting like a moron.

Hey, i didn’t say anything about the drivers…

You might be a really cool guy, but your car is just SUPER lame.

Sorry.

Anyway, mini < wrx

fixed

Glad you think so. You’re wrong.

Who do I know who had a WRX and replaced it with a MINI? My Uncle. (PS, his MINI is faster, better handling, and he likes it a lot more.)

OP clearly doesn’t think it’s lame or he wouldn’t be considering it. What you all answering a question, I call trolling, because it’s not a question he asked, and it’s clearly a position he doesn’t agree with.

He’ll probably reconsider once he finds out I think it sucks.

haha

So have I. Anyone want to buy my Cooper? I wouldn’t want to look like a tool in newman’s eyes.

Heck, I’ll give it away, just to get out of the toolbox.

I’ve driven a new saabaru 09 WRX and it was pretty beat. I’ve driven an 04 WRX and it was okay. But the 07S is one of the most entertaining cars EVER while remaining fuel efficient. Way better than a WRX. Make sure you get a stick one, DSG is fun on these for like 2 minutes then it shifts just too slow.

And if you buy a WRX you’ll get bored quickly (anything stock but an STi is boring from subaru) and you’ll wish it was an STi, then you’ll spend lots of money modding it. And I think WRXs get about 25-27mpg? Close to what my twin turbo rotary gets, ie weak.

Plus the quality, mini is a division of bimmer and the quality shows. I’d say consider a miata or something but mini has 4 seats. Maybe that scion xd? They look fun in person, don’t know if they’re quick or not but they’re not expensive to buy or to mod.

And NYS allows studded tires until what, April 1st or something? Basically any car can be good in the winter…

:tup: mini

Seriously. I’ve never known anyone to drive a MINI and not like it. That’s not true with a base WRX. And 25-27 mpg, if you’re cruising on the highway with a light foot. 18 city, 25 highway, 21 combined, according to fueleconomy.gov. Cooper S? 30.

I think of spoiled Orchard Park HS girls when i think Mini Cooper…

I don’t know what you clowns are talking about, but the 09 WRX has gotten phenomenal reviews.

Im with you on all your points except WRX’s being boring (dont make me go rotary on you lmao). 2.5rs’s may be boring but even stock WRX’s are hella fun. Not to mention a stage 2 WRX is almost as lively as an STi.

Gas mileage on the other hand cant touch the mini with a WRX giving you 18-24 mpg.

Having driven both cars and being the Subaru humper I am… I still say go with the Mini. It was just a little more fun to drive. To be honest though, I feel the presence of an LSD is the only deciding factor in that statement. If the Mini dint have an LSD I would give the heads up to the WRX easily.

But then again, the OP hasn’t even stated the WRX as an option yet so the Mini is :tup: :tup:

I owned a WRX and got shit gas mileage. The cars interior made me feel like i was literally driving in a futuristic concept of a 91 toyota camry race car. Everything was just… Lame, as with all older subaru’s. The engine and drive train, in combination with the suspension was AWESOME. I drive a Subaru in the winter now due to the sole fact that I owned one, and know that AWD is a beautiful thing.

Besides the fact that the transmission was beat, got horrible gas mileage0, and the interior blew donkey dick. Newman’s right. It’s a better performing car.

One of the best cars Ive ever owned.

I have a fast strait line car. I don’t need another gas eating machine though. Therefore, that’s why i spotted the mini cooper. Light, good gas mileage, and looks like it could be fun to drive. As to the WRX, Why by the same pair of shoes twice right? Plus I’m buying used. I don’t want another WRX daily driver, especially since I beat the shit outta mine like 99% of the owners out there. Chances are I’ll be scooping the mini off of an adult.

AWD does kick some ass… But mind you this is pure speculation. I just like the mini for some reason.