03 Dodge Dakota - Rear End Whine

Dad finally got his truck from my brother-in-law who was fixing it up. It’s a 4.8L SXT with 6x,xxx miles iirc.

Has a pretty good amount of rear-end whine coming from the back the faster you go. When you let off the gas (even at like 60 or 70mph) it stops.

Also, when I test drove it, I was coasting from about 50mph down to 20mph and then at 20mph I really hit on the brakes and the sound came back.

Any ideas?

Dad already replaced the fluid because they read somewhere that that might help…bearing? Needs a whole near rear end?

Any help would be appreciated.

pinion bearing is shot , very common on theese . i have done about 5 the last yr

They hard to do John? How much does it normally run? He’s home a lot these (BAC hasn’t had much work I guess) days so he’s got plenty of time lol.

Also, he’s asking is it inside the differential or is at the part where it all meets? (he said a Ukrainian term for it but I have no clue how to translate it lol).

not bad to do really , if ya have a press and whatnot . takes me normally a couple hrs . honestly the hardest part is getting the right berrings and shit . best bet is to pull it all apart , if ya can keep old bearings in semi good shape take em to adv auot or napa and have them run the old bearing numbers so they are correct . tll if he goes in do it all not just part of it .

How much do you charge (he’s not asking, but I am…just in case)?

ill p/m ya a price later on man .

Okay thanks John.

If you or your dad have never replaced bearing in an axle before your best off to just pay Jon to do it. It’s not super hard, but you need a press and some experience to do it successful and if you screw it up you’ll cause lots of $$$ in damages. Same thing if you ignore it and wait till it gets worse.

That’s why I asked what Johns rate was haha.

I managed to locate the FSM for his truck and got a picture of the rear end, etc. but I told my dad I asked to see how much John would charge so please let me know John.

the crush sleeve can be a pain to compress in these rear axles to set the preloaod on the pinion bearings. Ive replaced two sets of these bearings on rear axles at work.

How much does your shop charge for a job like this (to do what John said)? Parts and labor if possible.

your lookin at around 5xx to 6xx man with parts and labor and fluids

I found a few whole rear ends locally for $600 but they have over 100k on them so you would be better off fixing the one you have since its bad with 60k.

Damn. I don’t think he’s gonna wanna pay that much and knowing him he’s gonna wanna attempt this himself. I guess I’ll let you guys know how he makes out.

If anything changes, I’ll post up. Thanks.

Gonna be a lot more expensive to it right the second time. He’ll figure this out in time.

He’s actually decided to sell the truck back to my brother in law instead of dealing with this.

He’s on the hunt for a motor for the 92 Silverado again (exact same - doesn’t want to do any custom fabbing, rewiring, etc.). I literally did a :facepalm when he told me because even if he DOES manage to find a good motor for it, the body of that truck will fall apart before the motor goes again. But hey, whatever. His money, his truck, his time.

:facepalm

Dude, your dad is DUMB AS FUCK. Just FYI.

See my comment above. It’s a bad decision all around IMO.

He wants a Chevy BAD (new or old) but with lack of work in BAC and with the new addition, they have other priorities than a $20k truck. Refuses to spend money on fixing anything else. He probably would have kept it if it didn’t have the rear end whine…but honestly…WTF is this crap. It’s got 60k on it. According to Google, the vast majority of Dodge’s (and some Jeeps?) have this problem. American Quality (up until 2009 or so) was piss poor. How do you put out a line of vehicles that have this type of issue? WTF? Not only could it grenade the diff, but even when it’s working it’s annoying as hell. Seriously?

:facepalm

I’d have fixed the rearend…