03 silverado help!!

my dad has an 03 silverado 5.3 ext cab with about 50K on it. We bought it new and haven’t had any problems with it until recently. When he hits the brakes the abs comes on. They don’t come on right away, say about the last 1/4 of braking develops a pulsing with abs assist. I checked out the front end and the one wheel barring was moving about 1/8 of an inch so I replaced one wheel barring and did the front brakes. What else can be causing this? The abs still comes on. The fluid is fine and with the abs fuse removed the brakes work great. I told him to leave the fuse out but he is funny and wants his 30K truck to be perfect forever. So any ideas would be great. Also the other front hub/barring assembly was replaced at about 45K and should be fine. Any ideas would be great ! thanks

same thing happend on my gm there is a recall and it is for the sensor that is on the wheel bearing, not exactly sure the name of it but im alomost positive that is what it is

it’s the abs sensors that are attatched to the hubs. they get buildup under them causing the distance between the sensor and sensor ring to be out of specification. when you replaced the hub assembly did it come with a new sensor? (most do) the side that hasn’t been replaced is most likely your culprit. all you have to do is remove the sensor (careful they rust in there pretty damned good and have a tendency to break when being pulled out). If you cannot get it to budge try twisting it ever so slightly while spraying with pb blaster or the likes (this works it into the hole and lubricates the rusted up o-ring. after the sensor is out you’ll need a sanding disc and remove all of the buildup on the mounting surface for the sensor. then lubricate the new one and insert and all should be well. if you want to truly find the exact sensor have it scanned.

Yes the new hub came with a sensor…the thing is the other side was replaced at 45K gurr! I heard about the recall but I don’t think my dad’s 03 was included…maybe i’ll pull off the other one anyways and see what it looks like

It’s the wheel speed sensor. My fathers '02 did the same thing, he had to replace both front wheel bearings/sensors under his extended warranty.

does anyone know how to test the sensors? Can I check their resistance or anything? When they fail is it due to false readings or do they just go bad? We were towing about 5000 lbs with it this weekend and the brakes made it so bad stopping due to the abs kicking it…i ended up pulling the fuse because it felt way too dangerous…anyone know any specs i can check on it?

PM’d