1.8T vs 3.2?!?!? Help

Alright within a year timeframe im looking to get an Audi either an A4 or A6 depending on cash and whats available at the time.

Ive always had the general idea that more displacement = more power, but in another thread a bunch a people said that the 1.8T is better for tuning.

My cousing had a 1.8t passat and had nothing but troubles wiht that car, im hoping to avoid all that.

I dont want to do anything rediculus since it has to be a DD for me. Im thinking a V6 with a 5 spd or 6, Turbo and Intercool. I dont want to change the outsides, aside from the wheels. It will be Quattro.

Now i am asking for help, in the aspect that i am new to tuning, and i need to know what is more reliable, can i do what i want to a 3.2 or another V6.

So tell me, with expereience please, i dont want just people flaming that 4s are better or anything , i need some REAL advice here. Thanks

the 1-8 is a 4cyl isnt it?

Not my area of expertise, but I know you can up the snail to a pretty big one, chip it, and it makes some fun driving.

gut the ecu
install blower and carb
???
profit

on topic - what year are you looking for ? whqts your price range ? that will help the audi people give you better answers

There is currently nothing available for the 3.2. I’d bet that there will be a SC kit for it available eventually, and I would much rather have a blown 3.2 than a stage anything 1.8 as a daily driver. The reliability and drivability goes hands down to the 3.2

Plus, it’s not such a dog before you mod it. (IByoucanget70HPfromachip)

If you want reliablie, you shouldn’t really be thinking about custom turbo setups anyway.

fixed

If your looking into getting a larger displacement motor for you audi, get the newer a4’s or a6’s with the 3.0L 30v’s in them. 181bhp and 182tq stockISH. Eaton just came out recently with a blower for these motors thats made for daily driving, the M62 in the new G3 kit. Puts down 255bhp and 213tq, and it reliable from what ive heard/read. But prepare to sell a kidney and a child for it. So i would go 1.8t. IMHO perfect daily driver and a very nice base to start a project. You could go so many ways with it too, at your own pace.

dont fuck with teh juan point 8

if you wanna mod it just spray a 3.2

im looking mid to late 90’s 96 and on. looking to spend 5-8k on the car alone, do stuff later.

I just want something that will give knock me back in the seat and OCCASIONALLY street race some kids.

Is spraying the best most reliable to get power?

I guess im surprised there are no Kits for a the 3.2 for a turbo. Id want to spend a max like 2k on a turbo IC setup custom.

go JDM then. VW/Audis are nice and fun to drive, but they can be a serious headache. if you just want to have fun behind the wheel and not worry too much about reliability, pick up a civic or 240 or something.

turboing in V6 in an A4 is ridiculous and will be a pain in the ass. go with a 1.8T. a few simple mods here and there and you will have a lot of fun in the car. you won’t be killing any big name racers on here and you won’t see 12 sec passes, but it will be plenty fast for a 17 year old with little driving experience.

in my opinion, the 1.8T is the best engine Audi makes on their entry level older cars. you’ll find a lot more in simple bolt on mods for it than any other VW/Audi motor out there.

seriously think about if you can afford the car or not. they are really nice cars and a lot of fun to drive. you’ll find yourself praying for snow every night once you have quattro. but they have a LOT of problems. you can get them cheap. most people on here could afford the payments/purchase of a B5 A4. it’s more a question of can you afford to fix it at schmitt’s when your shit breaks all the time. control arms aren’t cheap and warranty work isn’t easy to get done at schmitt’s.

haha. that’s cute.

Well my dilemma is, i want Luxury and Speed, and Audi seems to be the sort of best of both worlds. A 3 series would also be ideal, but i think that is in a different league.

I dont want a headache of a car, i shouldnt have to fix it more than once a quarter(every three months)

So, What is Luxurious, Quick, and in my respectable price range…Infinitis? Acuras? Lexus? Should i go Japanese or German.

3 key factors i am looking for, Luxury, Speed, Reliability

what happened to a gtp? spend 5k on GTP, spend 2k on mods, have leather, heated seats etc, and run mid-low 12s in a car nobody would suspect = the motherfucking win

yet you want it cheap. not going to happen.

you effectively get two of three things when purchasing a car. fast, reliable, or cheap. you never get all 3.

if you want something fun, luxurious, somewhat reliable, and can be had at a good price…get an e30 or e36 3 series bimmer. you have a whole world of options there and will have a blast driving and in that price range, you can get a ridiculously clean nice car.

5-8k, and you want fast and reliable… ? eeesh.

-edit- damn you dex :stuck_out_tongue:

gt motherfuckng p. Pop a tranny every now and then, nothing else will break

im not suprised …

the engine bay of a v6 or v8 audi doesnt have enough spare room to store an extra pair of socks … foh-gih-da-bout space for a turbo kit

Its still in the runnings, i didnt realize they luxed it out that much…how much do BUILT trannys run? ya know ones that wont explode

agree, I spent 9 and got a hella clean 300M that is very comfy and moves pretty good (although the only way this thing would see 12’s is if I pushed it off a cliff).

you’ll probably have to broaden your search terms a little, decide what’s really important to you.

does a 17 year old kid really need a 12 second car? when i was 17 i about killed myself numerous times in a 17 second car.

I would say, Not to be cocky or anything that i am a relatively highly skilled driver for my age, i know the limits of my cars in every conditions so i can push them and be SAFE. I dont do crazy shit to scare peopel or piss them off, occasionaly i get a bit squirly when trying to show off to friends, but all of my friends concur that i am a good driver. Again not tryin to be cocky