1 Down, 14 left [Veyron Crashes Into Lake]

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/11/bugatti-veyron-swim.jpg

This is one of the saddest, yet most amusing sights we’ve ever seen. A $1.6 million Bugatti Veyron sitting in a salt water lagoon, door open, in two feet of nasty, corrosion-inducing muddy water. While the site is sad, how the event allegedly transpired is downright hilarious. The unnamed owner of the vehicle, traveling through Galveston, Texas to look at some high-end property, was reportedly talking on his cell phone when a low-flying pelican distracted him. The driver swerved to avoid the big bird, dropped his cell phone, and in the process the front passenger tire hit a mud patch.

A quad-turbo, 16-cylinder engine may be able to get you to 60 mph in under three seconds, but it doesn’t work well with mud, so the supercar made a b-line for an adjacent lagoon. The ultra rare Veyron (reportedly one of 15 copies here in the States) was still running after it rested nearly belt-line high in the salt water, as local news affiliate KHOU reported the 1,000+ hp engine “gurgled like an outboard motor for about 15 minutes before it died.” It probably would have been a great idea to kill power to the engine (and even shut the door) once the Veyron hit the muck, but hey, what do we know?

Hit the jump to watch video of the Veyron as it is extracted from its salty abyss. And if you own a Veyron, let this be a lesson to you that having money doesn’t necessarily mean you have the skill to drive a supercar, especially when you’re on the phone. Thanks to everyone for the tips!

Expensive phone call for his insurance company.

Somewhere in America an insurance company is REALLY pissed. :slight_smile:

lol at the guy washing his hands in the mud puddle before grabbing the wheel.

he’ll get another one

I hate articles written like that.

OMG U R RICH BUT UR SO STOOPID

Sucks for the owner, that’s gotta be embarrassing.

:word: :lol:

opps

I would have done worse.

I guess you can always part it out…lol

are you saying that special opps is to blame for this accident?

Car is still worth $, thats whats sick.

I wonder what his premium is going to be next year if he gets another one.

meh despite the power they make i think its an ugly car. probably the last supercar i would get if i was buying one

for 1.6 million they should float

yea, shutting down the engine may have been a good idea.

i laughed at the part that said he was distracted by a low flying pelican…hahahah

i imagine if he owns a 1.6 million dollar car that he is self insured

really shitty for him though, im sure most people who can afford to buy this car wont want it due to the water damage history now lol

salvage title veyron anybody?

its funny to see the guy only knee deep in the water, but yet half the car is covered