12 psi? whats going on here

i just finished installing a megan ss mani and a 3 inch downpipe. i also have an intake. no other mods at all. tonight i was driving around and my peak boost was 11-13 PSI. any reasoning behind this? (please no ignorant comments, turbo cars are still very new to me) thanks

yeehaw… we’re in the same boat. apparently the turbo’s wastegate is meant for stock air/exhaust flow only… hahah

all i have is catback exhaust and air filter… 11-13 psi for me too (running straight to wastegate now, bypassed BCS)

is it safe to be running that high on a SMIC? there was one line i did cap off. it was on the passenger strut tower. it MAY have plugged into the emmisions cylinder thingy that mounted to the valve cover. ill post up a pic to let you guys know what im talking about :drinkers:

i know exactly what you’re talking about… (i think its fine to cap that off, mines just T’d there).

i think 12 is the upper limit of boost to run on the side mount… i think its fine for single gear pulls, but i noticed after a 2nd to 4th gear run, 4th gear feels like crap power from the heat soaked charge air

i think ill pick up a boost controller next week and tone it down a bit. :rolleyes:

a boost controller won’t get you any less boost, just more, or the same you’re running now. you’ll have to port your waste gate, or give yourself a home made boost leak or something… :lol:

I wouldnt worrie about it too much. Thats a lil high but who cares. If anything blows up that just means its upgrade time. That emmisions thingy your talking about it gay too. Rip it out and weld up your elbow unless thats why you had to T it off cuz you got an aftermarket elbow but ya. Who wants burnt gasses going through your engine AGAIN :stuck_out_tongue:

Ya i agree with ^, cause my stock t25 is boosting to a peak of 13-14 but calms down to about 10 but i don’t really care because its upgrade time afterwards. Have fun while it lasts :lol:

Translation. High boost=money for me. LOL!

More boost=More fun :E

did u put in the boost guage? if so where did u tee in the sense line, that will make a difference on readings.

I as well am running around 12psi, I just figured that my wastegate was seized or something.

i T’d in my boost gauge right off the vacuum line going to the intake manifold… so theres a chance the turbo is boosting even harder and i’m only seeing 12/13psi at the intake mani due to boost leaks etc. along the way :?

ive been running 1 bar on my sidemount all year, my car is still fine ive even run 1.2 bar on the stock t25 with sidemount yeeeehaawwwww now please stop your crying :lol:

i hope you have consult or something… :o hahaha

HAHAHA holy 1.2 bar on stock side mount, thats freakin hilarious. I did the same but with a front mount. I dont feel so bad anymore. But yea it seems that everyone who does any intake or exhaust mod on the stock SR notices a increase to about 12 PSI. I dont really get it but it sure is fun.

is this a constant 12psi, or just a peak of 12psi? the stock T25 peaks at mid RPM’s and therefor spikes a little then settles down after to a more reasonable 8-9psi. but if your running a constant 12 psi, that’s different. and boost controllers can lower boost, maybe not manual ones, i don’t know, but my electronic boost controller can lower the boost a little, and prevent spiking. And I don’t know what the stock sidemount can handle, but if you have good air flow over your intercooler, it should be fine for shorter bursts, followed by low boost cruising to cool it down again. I am sure some have pushed it too the max, but if you are like me and don’t have the money to fix major problems, and would like to play it safe, I would probably try to bring the boost down a little, or take it easy on the boost on hot days ect…
start saving for a good electronic boost controler and a front mount!!

But yea it seems that everyone who does any intake or exhaust mod on the stock SR notices a increase to about 12 PSI. I dont really get it but it sure is fun.

Thats because there is less back pressure and the turbo will spool quicker, possibly even quicker that the wastegate actuator can keep up. So it makes it to 12 or so b4 the flap is open all the way. If it stays steady at 12 all the time something else is wrong. Possibly seizing closed, or a damaged sense line.