1978 Datsun 280Z

I just got back from NJ with this thing. I traded my 3.3L 84 300ZX turbo for it, AND 'Burban is loaded to the roof with spare parts from the back of the front seats all the way to the rear doors, as well as the S30 being packed full. I also got the 2 engines with it on the trailer. There are 2 more 4 speed manuals in the suburban.

I have some things to do to it, but it’ll be nice to have a S30 that runs/drives while I restore my 260Z.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/314966_2053767591319_1458420451_2259988_820366102_n.jpg

Nice, looks like a fun project in the works.

very nice. I picked up an s30 a couple weeks ago as well, '71. have my work cut out for me lol

This is my 3rd S30…my main project is a 40,000 original mile 74 260Z with a mintish interior which I’m in the middle of putting floors in…the engine was set up though. Where are you located? I’m a Z guy, and would be glad to help if you ever want any. LOL

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 PM ----------

Couple pics from this morning before I got it off the trailer:

:tup:

My L28ET powered s30 just ran a 13.4 at 101 on 7-8psi.

Sweet. I love these things.

Went to a friends house with it, and on the way home realized I don’t have any dash lights…

thats been for sale for awhile - bad frame rails

No, it hasn’t. It wasnt for sale, the car came from NJ. The guy I got it from wasnt even looking to sell it really, I just offered a trade on z31performance.com and he accepted.

But on the topic of frame rails, it has brand new ones.

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

for sale since 07-25-2011, 10:14 AM

Yes, that is the car. Sweet “bad” frame rails, right? Like I said, they’ve been replaced, properly.

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

for sale since july - replaced frame rails because no one would buy the car - not sure y u mad jus tryin to giv you some info about the car u jus bought

Those are floor supports mostly, the rockers are what give the car it’s strength.

Can you take a picture of the floors? It doesn’t look like the rails were replaced and cut out… just capped off.

Someone did that to my 280z and the rust ate right on into the new rails. I had to cut the entire frame off the car, put new rails in and then put new floors in… shit sucked but was worth it

Not mad, didn’t even buy the car. I traded a Z31 for it and got this plus well over a grand worth of spare parts. It was more than worth the deal, even if I do have to swap frame rails. The rocker panels are all metal and solid.

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

He swears to me they cut out the old rails and put new ones in…but, I’m probably going to order bad dog frame rails and redo them anyways.

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

So yes, they’re “capped”…his word is that the rusted parts of the old rail were cut out and the new pieces welded over it. Not sure if I should go on his word, but I’m going to for now and possibly this winter buy bad dog rails and just replace them completely.

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

Then again, after looking at bad dog frame rails…even they are designed to fit over the OE rails.

No, it hasn’t. It wasnt for sale, the car came from NJ. The guy I got it from wasnt even looking to sell it really, I just offered a trade on z31performance.com and he accepted.

Big whoop, so it was for sale. That isnt how I found the car.

Anyways, the rust was removed from the rails and new ones put over them, just like how bad dog rails are. As Copper280Z said, they’re mostly floor supports, not frame rails. The rockers are the support/frame. My first S30 had no floors or “frame rails” left at all, but it didn’t have any issues with lifting the car…

Edit: He just confirmed that the rails on the car are bad dog rails, which they looked like it to me. So to that, I say it was done properly.

Update 8/5/11: It seems anyone who has been interested in this car is turned off by the fact the frame rails are shot, which is so common I don’t understand why they are surprised. So I am fixing the frame rails by welding in some new ones, and as an additional sexy bonus, I am welding in some beefy jack plates, so there is never a concern on where to jack this car up from. My price is going to be less flexible after this since it won’t cheap, but it will make the car more desirable and marketable if it has solid frame rails, floor pans and strut towers. I might even have the battery tray rust patched too.

Update 10/24/11: You’re being a total douchebag and need to go back to failovania forums. The car is solid now. If you can find me a S30 that has the original floor pans and frame rails in mintish shape for under $10,000 ANYWHERE, then let me know. Until then, stop shitting on my thread. The frame rails are BAD DOG (you know, the really beefy ones all the S30 guys upgrade to) and were done properly. I traded a $1500 car for a S30 that is easily worth $1000 or more (it is truly solid compared to most, regardless of having had the frame rails REPLACED) and over $1000 worth of parts, including 2 spare engines and 2 spare transmissions. Go drive your wannabe Z. The last time a real Z was sold in the US was in 1996.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 PM ----------