(re)building my new / johns old 280z

First off this isn’t my first Z car, i know this thing inside and out and can put it together blindfolded. Check out my blog, it is almost 100% complete with my old car… Everything from frame rail restoration / floor boards / engine installation etc.

Funny thing is i actually bought johns old motor to put in my car… and now i bought HIS car.

http://rob280z.blogspot.com/

Next up the damage,

I drove this thing about 60 miles and blew up the engine, i don’t know what it could have been other than low oil / tired parts… who knows. The rev limiter was set to 5k so i know it wasn’t over-revving.

Anyways heres the carnage

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20790[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20791[/ATTACH]

Donor block, 1994 Van engine had 40k miles on it. My father let one of his friends borrow our cherry picker… I didn’t know till i brought the block home.

Just wait for the incredibly sketchy way we got the block off (pic related, not me)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20792[/ATTACH]

but rob, did you just roll that engine stand up to the truck bed? Fuck yeah i did. And it worked like a champ.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20793[/ATTACH]

First crack at the block, Check out dem GM quality cylinder bores and pistons. Hardly any carbon build up. The liquid is WD40 so we could turn it easier

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20794[/ATTACH]

Deck the block? Fuck that, its a chevy, a razor blade will do just fine

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20795[/ATTACH]

ARP studs up in this bitch, for them ultra low rev’s

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20796[/ATTACH]

Half way point, waiting on lifters FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20797[/ATTACH]

Getting the exploded engine out of the car because i need the parts off it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20798[/ATTACH]

Spend an hour muscling this fucking T-56 around, putting it on the block only to have my Troll father walk up and ask “so did you remember the pilot bearing” followed by walking away with a huge trollface look

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20799[/ATTACH]

So after installing the new ISKY Flat tappet cam, gears, timing chain, front cover, balancer, belts & pulleys, flywheel, clutch & PP i am left waiting for a set of brand new Hyd lifters. They will arrive monday

[ATTACH]20801[/ATTACH]

LOOK AT IT

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20800[/ATTACH]

Oh and if anyone want’s to come help me put this back in the car, its located in derby.

My buddy got caught up in going to PA so he can’t help me this weekend D:

lol motor blew after 60k?

I had to lift a 350 block (bare) off a stand onto a counter one time, wasn’t bad but wasn’t fun

No 60 miles lol.

Love this car!

If you’re interested in a set of z-flares bolt on fender flares. Let me know, I’ve got a set in my garage I’d sell

Yeah I’d be interested I’m going to be running a 265-275 rear tire probably

Broken rod? Isn’t that what happened when it blew up while the previous owner had it too?

I don’t think it was a good idea to use wd40 in the cylinders. Should’ve used oil instead. And isky? Boooo. Aren’t all their grinds like ancient? :stuck_out_tongue: (I’ve always used comp for mine)

Haha. I was gona say. In highschool I regularly used to muscle 350 blocks out of shit once with the crank and flex plate still installed. That was a loonng time ago. Definitely wasn’t fun.

OP: where do you find sheet metal for these cars? All the z cars I can find online at a reasonable price seem to need at least floors. The main reason I haven’t picked one up yet is becasuse I can’t seem to find any body parts for them.

Inb4Igotanotherticket…

Bad dog frame rails is for the frame… (obviously lol) and as for sheet metal, its easier to just get fiberglass front fenders.

As for the floor pans when i rebuilt my old car i just got some 14 or 16g steel and had my dad weld it up… it was too thin for me to attempt… i kept burning right through it, im not very good at welding.

If you want Prefab floor pans you can get them here: http://www.zcarsource.com/content/p/8/stype/product/?searchVar=floor

It cost me 16$ for a 6’x6’ sheet of sheet metal in buffalo, i forget the name of the place i got it from though…

have any other plans other than motor?

One of the cylinders got some moisture in it, very little surface rust i used naval jelly + steel wool to get it out. Had to use WD40 cause we didn’t have any oil haha. I’m sure it’ll be fine, that shit will just burn out on first start.

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

I really really want to build a 385 stroker out of it, i still haven’t got the 400 crank from my grandpas (if its even there still) If not i guess i’ll sell the block. I haven’t taken the crank out of it yet though.

its a one piece rear main seal, hydraulic roller cam motor.

if anyone wants the block 100$ as-is

edit 2: i cant read

As for other plans on the car i’m going to flare it out eventually and paint it matte gray or black, not sure yet. I have a nitrous kit for it sitting at my buddys house waiting to get purchased. But i’m terrified to put it in here because i don’t want to blow up the bottom end (again)

Also i have to ask john if he got an R200 rear diff, i remember he blew up the old R180. The R200’s can take up to 800ftlbs of tq IIRC… R180s… maybe 450

pics

Muscled this thing in here by myself, friend couldn’t make it…

Surprisingly it was pretty easy to do alone

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20814[/ATTACH]

BECAUSE PRODUCT PLACEMENT WINS RACES

ALSO ADDS +30HP

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20815[/ATTACH]

My poor, poor garage ;_;

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20816[/ATTACH]

Not much of an update but i’ve done the following

-attached slave cylinder (what a pain in this ass, i had to retry twice… stupid design)
-got volt gauge to work, got aftermarket gauge lights wired.
-Tranny fluid in
-Pre-lubed engine
-Cleaned up johns mess of wires and neatly tucked them away (lol)
-cleaned up valve train parts for tomorrow

I forgot to tighten down one of the engine mount bracket bolts, but other than that it should be ready for a first start tomorrow. I gotta read up on how to set valve lash on these things. I was given a 30second intro of “half turn the rocker bolts etc etc”

Floors are much cheaper at zeddfindings

http://datsunzparts.com/NewParts/summary.htm

$300 cheaper than the zcarsource site

Right up in Kingston Ontario

Very nice!!!

Looks awesome, please clean garage!

Take the stickers off fag.

When you get a car, do you think to yourself…

“How can I make this car look the most retarded for the least amount of money?”