(re)building my new / johns old 280z

This made me laugh. :tup:

Would read again…

Nice progress :tup:

+1, this was a fun read. I liked the part where you posted a pic of the engine, then another pic 20% closer with “LOOK AT IT”

Just got home from work, currently pacing back and forth waiting for fedex.

>that feel when you’re waiting on THAT ONE PART

Also, my tires are bald as fuck, welded diff. Ultimate drift-mobile in this weather.

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

Parts just arrived Time to finish it

IT LIVES

My neighbors fucking hate me now, had to sit at 2000-2500 rpm for about 20 mins breaking in the cam. LOLOL Straight pipes w/ glass packs sound so nice.

After that i romped on it up and down route 5, once it hits 2000 rpm it pulls HARD. The car squats and lunges forward followed by unstoppable wheel slippage because the tires are bald + rain.

I haven’t taken it over 3500 rpm for fear of death in these conditions but im happy with it. I need to get a timing light hooked up to it to dial it in better, right now its sitting with the dizzy removed to clean up some oil that leaked out the top of it… i forgot the intake manifold gasket for the distributor D:

for future reference setting the lash is as easy as running it with the VC’s off and adjusting until you hear no noise aka ZERO lash then going 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

I watched a few you tube videos, i would move the pushrods up and down / rotate them until they stayed firm, after that i gave them 1/2 turn and it came out perfect. I love the sound of flat tappets

i like the fast turn around time on this. nice job :tup:

Took this video with the last few seconds of battery life my phone had it died mid-video. im surprised it saved.

This is first turn of the key starting up.

[video]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=420650921280000&set=vb.100000052888905&type=2&theater[/video]

Subscribed :tup:

Decided to send the tires to the grave today. They are currently unsafe for road use in every way i have broken through the nylon layers. i would have just blown the rubber off the wheels but i don’t want to ruin them

If anyone has some 4 lugs let me know, i could use them for heater tires.

Small problem with starting, i think it’s just my dead battery, I have to crank it over a good 10 seconds before it starts up… very slow cranks too.

Another issue ive been having is when i adjust the dizzy 3* retarded it wants to cut out and die… Just got new plug wires too for it too.

And finally the carb needs to be cleaned and adjusted, i runs super rich.

Rob, the Z looks/sounds awesome. Makes me want to put a V8 in mine. When I get mine out of the garage for the year I’ll have to drive out and check this beast out. Your/My old Z is still kickin…another fuckin fuel leak though, POS.

That car is cursed with fuel leaks, i had 2 when i owned it. Fucking AN fittings and one was a line.

I think i may have just broke this ones differential lololol. gotta hit up the Junkyard tomorrow.

Yea, this is the 2nd since I’ve owned it. Gotta be a fitting, it started leaking while in storage.

Get this up for the dyno day.

When / where is it.

I still need to get the timing on this car dialed in, and i really hope the differential isn’t broke. (again) There is a chance its a U joint / broken weld.

I would assume this thing makes 275-300hp at the wheel and 350tq

http://www.nyspeed.com/showthread.php?231011-Cinco-de-Dyno!-Dyno-day-Friday-May-4th-2012-10am-7ish-pm

That amount of power in a Z is a ton of fun. My L28 powered Z put down 270hp/340tq last week, maxed out the stock t3. Lol

if you are running accel just dump that. no luck with any of their products.

MSD billet dizzy with accel shorty plugs and 8mm wires.

Still haven’t been able to get a timing light on it… its on loan to someone else.