Slack's 1976 S30

The car: '76 280z
The plan: Stuff a VH45DE from a Q45 into it.

Picked this up this winter. The car currently has an L28ET swap in it. I’ll be pulling that out and replacing it with a VH45 mated to a z31 transmission. I already have the transmission and a CLSD R200 rear end, just need to source the motor and harness (can anyone recommend a company to buy the motor from?).

Until then I’ll be fixing up the frame and floor pans. Already purchased some BadDog frame rails, just gotta get some metal for the hole in the floor. If a welder wants to make some money, I’ll be looking for someone to weld in the floor patches and rails in a few weeks.

Tonight I plan on working on getting the lame excuse for a wiring harness out of the car and prepping the motor to be pulled.

I love these cars.

http://iedei.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/img_3154.jpg

Was this purchased from an NYSpeeder?

I love me some early Z’s :tup:

Yes it was.

Forgot to add the more far off plans.

• Rear disk brake conversion and updated front brakes
  • GC coilovers
  • TechnoToyTuning.com suspension bits
  • Wheels (something wide with a super low offset)
  • Freshen up the body and paint

If the VH45 I end up getting needs refreshing, I’ll make it a 5 liter.

I really should have bought the project Z I was looking at last summer, I really want to start some sort of build :frowning:

Yutas car is awesome. Custom coilovers ftw.

My old z, hope it comes out awesome.

Ugh, now there are TWO builds tempting me…

Might be 3 when the M sells… :wink: Mine will be fassst though. :stuck_out_tongue:

<3 the car, talk to durka ~MPD about that engine, he swapped one into his 350z.

Didn’t have too much time to work on the car last night, due to the Sabres game being on. But I did get the engine harness out and inspected the rot in the floor pans.

Harness out - as you can see, parts of it were a little shoddy.

Drivers side floor pan, only a small spot needs replacing, maybe 8"x12".

Passenger side floor pan. Little worse on this one, but again, I won’t need to replace the whole pan.

The frame rails also have some spots, those will be cut out, the rest of it covered in a rust killer, and then one of these will be welded on over it. These are twice as thick as the stock rails. Then the whole bottom of the car will be covered in POR-15.

The seats are in great shape, only two small seam splits in the passenger seat. I have a set of Nismo seats I plan on using, so I might make these into nice shop chairs or something (unless someone comes along offering money).

This is the corner of my garage. KA24DE and transmission, L series transmission, and an CLSD R200. The KA stuff and the L series transmission are up for grabs if anyone wants them.

nice. i can’t wait to get started on my 72 but my s50e30 and my business are eating all of my money this year

just buy a vh45 off one of the many 240 kids that gave up on their swaps

What are your plans for the l28et?

Good idea.

Selling it.

As long as the weather holds up tomorrow, I should have the motor out this weekend.

subscribed.

Already have a buyer? I might be interested, although I might just so a small block swap in my s30. I’m not exactly sure what I want to do yet.

might wanna do this stuff first…

I don’t have a buyer yet. So its all yours if you want it.

Why? The brakes and suspension all work fine now. This is a street car, not going to be out racing.

yea, they work fine with a 175hp ka24. now you are going to double the power and weight of the motor and expect a 35 year old car to handle and brake the same? be safe mang.