Slack's 1976 S30

Cool project.

KA24 isnt in the car, a L28ET is. Since the L28ET has an iron block it is heavy. IIRC the alum. block VH45 is pretty similar in weight. I agree with you on the brakes needing to be looked at for the bump inpower. The fronts will be getting 4 pot calipers along with the motor swap, along with a 280zx master cylinder and a adjustable prop valve. That will be enough stopping power for occasional street use. Guess I should have just put the rear disk swap in that list.

Thanks!

KA24 isnt in the car, a L28ET is. Since the L28ET has an iron block it is heavy. IIRC the alum. block VH45 is pretty similar in weight. I agree with you on the brakes needing to be looked at for the bump in power. The fronts will be getting 4 pot calipers along with the motor swap, along with a 280zx master cylinder and a adjustable prop valve. That will be enough stopping power for occasional street use. Guess I should have just put the rear disk swap in that list.

Thanks!

pm me if you want help with the vh-z32 adapter plate…ive already done it

looks sick. will be following this for sure.

good good. now that thats out of the way lets see some build pics.

Pulled the motor out today. This was my first attempt at pulling a motor out of anything. Had no problems getting everything unhooked and what not. Did have a little trouble actually lifting it out though. I bought a load leveler thinking it would help me tip the motor up to get it out of the car. The thing ended up causing more problems than it solved. With that hooked up between the motor and the shop crane the crane couldn’t go high enough. In the end we got the motor stable, let the tension out of the chain, and took the leveler off. Went much smoother after that.

Oh, and anyone of you have a good way of getting transmission fluid out of blacktop? The one thing I forget to do was drain that before starting to lift the motor out and it got everywhere.

Still trying to source a VH45 so if anyone has a lead on one, PLEASE PM ME! I did find one on ebay and I emailed to get some more info on Wednesday and still haven’t heard back.

Between Sabres games next week I’ll be prepping the rotted out areas under the car and cutting the patches I’ll need.

Few photos:

Everything is all unhooked and the shop crane hooked up.

On its way out.

Finally, after an hour of muscling by me and my two roommates, its out.

i almost purchased a 90-94 vh out of “niagara” scrap or something along those lines…sorry i cant remember.
save yourself the trouble and just buy an entire Q…a smashed piece of shit (but running) should cost around $1500
try and find a 90-94 model also, the 94+ are packed with tons of electronics/hicas and all sorts of bs…

did that iank guy sell his swap yet?? maybe pm him?

Ls1 swap it

Thought about it, the issue is I really don’t have anywhere to store it and I doubt my landlord would let me keep it on the lawn. I know getting just the motor and harness is the hard way of doing things, but its all I can really do in my current situation.

Didn’t know he was selling one, I’ll see if its still around.

Thats plan B.

thats mine holmes, and im not selling it! its in my car!

I love these old Zs :tup:

Very cool. I love old stuff :tup:

Got to work grinding rust off the drivers side frame rail today. Bout half way through I noticed that the frame rail had been worked on once already, and done the same way I had planned. At some point frame rails that fit over the existing ones were fabricated and welded on (which what appears to be very little work done to prevent further rusting). So those BadDog rails I bought will not fit over the repair that is already there.

I’m going to have to cut out and replace these rails, which is a task I neither have the tools for or the skills to do. Can anyone recommend a shop that would be able to complete this kind of job, and do it well (so it’ll never have to be done again)?

Don’s welding on transit by classic cue. They do awesome frame work.

+1 for dons

Or you could just sell me the car for cheap and ill ls swap it.

You wouldn’t want to put an LS1 in it with the rotted frame rail, thanks for the recommendations though.

Haven’t had much time (or warm weather) to work on this much lately. Took the drivers side door apart to fix the window, which is not rolling up or down correctly. Initially noticed it was not on its track, so I took it all apart, and put it back together. Thing still sucks. I’m pretty sure part of the mechanism is bent, haven’t had a chance to pull it back out yet. Hope to do that tomorrow. Once I can get the window all the way up I’ll be calling Don’s Welding up to have them fix the frame, the floor, and a couple other spots. I was originally planning on doing a lot of this myself but I figured since it’s going to be at the shop anyways, might as well have professionals fix it.

Once it’s back I’ll be upgrading the front brakes and hopefully starting mock up with a VH45.

Any progress? I’m interested in that l28et if it’s still available.

Love it, I need a fucking project this winter.