1990 dodge d250 cummins

Your thinking of a p7100 2nd gen cummins. This is a 1st gen with a VE pump and I could be wrong, but I believe this is a non intercooled model. You don’t really get all that much extra power out these without injectors and or turbos. Plus the auto trans is really marginal at best. If it were mine and I didn’t want to dump a ton of cash into the truck and still use it to tow I would leave it alone other then the 4" exhaust.

Yea it’s non intercooled, I’m gonna put a ic on it and exhaust that’s as much performance as I’m gonna do at the moment, I’m gonna do wheels and maybe a 4 inch lift and use it as the work truck it is, the next truck is going to be a short box dmax

I think you are correct, sir! I didn’t really brush up on my gen 1 cummins.

Yeah the auto is not so hot. Though you can freshen them up and make them pretty stout. Plus you can always drop a totally different trans on there too with the right adapter.

I like your plan so far!

ive been looking into the allison swap… i cant leave anything alone its a problem for me haha

lol, yeah the allison trans is super spensive. Then there’s the wiring and control for the damn thing. I would drop an NV5600 into it :wink:

from what ive read the allison is the easier of the swaps for the 1st gen but i only did a quick read

Unless he wants to do a lot of heavy load towing there is no benefit to at 5600 over a 4500. The first gears and final drive ratios are virtually the same. Both units have a 1.1 4th gear the only advantage of the 6 speed is that 5th gear is an inbetween 1.1 and final drive. Which is really only an advantage if your towing over 10k pounds a lot. That and the fact that 5600s are harder to find and more expensive, I would go 5600.

It’s all about the row :wink:

will i gotta have you look at it and tell me what direction i should go its got a low tow range on the end of the trans for towing i guess it was a 4500 option or something, i wanna know exactly what it is and if its going to be an issue if i lift the truck a lil bit

This is a dumb question but is the extra tranny strain from lifting due to bigger tires and needing more rotational force to get stuff rolling or does driveshaft angles and such play a role as well? I’ve pretty much only owned fwd cars so lifting and rwd is foreign to me.

idk if there is much strain from lifting the truck on the trans, but more so on the u joints and possibly the rear end due to the excessive angles. thats why they make different drive shafts for such modifications. i think haha im just getting into the whole truck thing so its all relatively new to me

The trans itself in these is notoriously weak, but yes, any additional weight and tire size is going cause additional strain on the driveline. The driveline angles will only be a factor if they are not corrected to compensate for the change in height of the suspension.

this and the 4 inch exhaust is getting ordered next

couple better pics
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii300/dom300zx/Snapbucket/EDEBDB40_zpse83b7bbc.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii300/dom300zx/Snapbucket/66204F1D_zps8e2a90e2.jpg

It really depends on what you want to tow. I’m guessing a 1 car trailer that is maybe 8,000 pounds? If so then any of the options brought up so far are fine. Honestly if the trans in it has already been rebuilt I would just install a temp gauge and rock it as is. The only issue you would possibly have with lifting it would be changing driveshaft working angles and increased U joint wear. I can meet up with you at some point if you want though.

The main issue with larger tires is the decrease in effective axle ratio. Basically your increasing the load on the engine and trans at all times. However if you never come near the factory rated tow capacity it’s really not a problem to install a larger wheel and tire package. In fact it’s a pretty common practice to increase tire diameter to say a 33-35" tire to yield better unloaded fuel economy since it decreases RPM. Even with an auto you can see some very impressive economy numbers out of these old B series motors due to the lack of pollution control devices.

yea the most id be pulling with this truck is a one car trailer possibly two… it goose neck ready and i have no idea if its been rebuilt before or not

^ thanks for the info!

That was my next question haha, have you had a chance to see what kind of milage you’re getting?

the previous owner has and about 24-25 highway and 19 city i havent seen a reason not to beleive him still has the gas in it when i got it and ive driven it alot and havent seen the gauge drop too much

That’s awesome for a truck you can actually tow with!

theres a screw on these pumps that raises fuel pressure= more coal. then get a bigger pair of injectors and raise the psi and it will smoke and have more power than ull ever need. the big thing i would do is search for the nv4500 5 speed and a good clutch. my brother glazed his stock clutch with a fuel plate injectors and max psi on stock turbo you can make alot of power under 1000 bucks