1991 Pontiac Sunbird GT Convertible QUAD 4 POWERED!

If you know me well enough, you know that I am into this kinda ugly, forgotten stepchild engine GM + Oldsmobile fathered in 1987…

Anyway I picked this 91’ Sunbird convertible up about 7 months ago with a blown 3.1L V6. The car was already a 5spd so it made this project a bit easier on me.

Its been painted, interior has been updated and repaired, and of course, a new power plant is under the hood that was never available in this car.

1991 W41 2.3L Quad 4 engine. 190HP. 3.94FDR 5spd Getrag gear set.

Here are some before-after pics:

Before:

After:

Hope to see you guys at some shows if they have a “bastard child” sections. lol

There used to be a guy here username “Protonus” who had one of these that was turbo?

His sig pic:

http://www.protonus.ws/img/dumbsig.jpg

My first car was '92 Sunbird GT. I LOVED that car…I’m so glad you did the front end conversion.

http://www.ratemyride.com/uploads/33180.jpg

He should be here shortly.

Z/26 Beretta wheels? I remember a guy in college that had one as a beater, caught air off a curb on South Side in Pittsburgh.

lol

Looks nice. Ive been trying to find a nice blk/blk 90z24 with a stick and cant find one anywhere. Almost grabbed a pretty clean beretta indy off ebay a few mos back but it sold.

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

GTZ wheels

lol ohai. Cool to see a Quad 4 swap, haven’t seen one in a while. Did you already have the engine? What made you go this route? Is that stock suspension? Before I went crazy with my car I was very happy with Apex springs once they settled, with KYB GR2 dampers, if you’re looking to drop it. The stock large GT swaybars and steering rack are pretty good and rotate OK as I’m sure you know. I have 2 rear swaybars on mine now and it oversteers lol. I spun it twice at Dunville.

<threadjack>Yes I still have my GT Vert but mine is a 1st gen. I haven’t raced it in a few years, I need to get the trans rebuilt and stick an LSD in it. I was focusing on my bike which I crashed last year, and now I have my Saabaru that’s got my attention ATM.

As far as I know my Sunbird is still the most heavily modified in the world - pretty much any functional aspect of the car has been upgraded, at the least I’m the most modified 2.0 T and 1st gen. Here is my mods list, it’s pretty up to date IIRC:

The pictures there are outdated. Tons of pictures here:
http://www.protonus.ws/gallery/v/thecar/
including a lot of pics of my crazy suspension/steering/braking systems. If parts of the car look familiar, it’s because Dan aka juicedz4 designed a lot of aspects of my suspension/braking/steering setup and we share a number of parts. He built some of the suspension and did some of my welding, but otherwise, this car was almost entirely built by me. Which is why it’s not nearly as clean as his :lol:

tl;dr
Just buy this one and swap your stuff in. This one looks in better shape. You’ll be happier than you will be with the snaabaru

lol @ tl;dr, I even tried to make that a short post.

If I ever buy another J and swap my stuff in, it would be a 1st gen GT or Z24 hatchback, my second favorite J body style, but also way lighter and stiffer. I’m to the point now where chassis flex is my major limiting factor in handling. I can literally feel the car twist when I enter turns hot with it. Kinda sketchy. Plan once I get the trans handled is to remove the Vert rocker braces, get them hard welded to the chassis, and install at least a 6 point cage to reduce flex (and cause I’ll need one for 1/4 mile once I run slicks anyways). Possibly a butterfly brace between the rocker braces.
Swapping my parts in would be gigantic PITA though. Parts of the rear suspension mounting points have been cut off the body and new custom mounting panels welded in. It would be a huge undertaking. Much of it isn’t “bolt on”.

I absolutely love my Saabaru. It is a perfect daily/winter driver. It’s not going anywhere.

I had an 89 turbo gt convertible. It was such a fun car at 16 years old.

my j-body thing went off.

OP: looks good. :tup:

Dan

This thread has become Roclife: Buffalo edition :lol:

Tubular manifold and a strut brace in '91? Heady stuff

My first car was a 92 sunbird se…loved it.

Who did the paint work? Looks nice

I had to buy a whole car off craigslist for that front end. It was another vert… but rotted to the ground.

I own a collection of the 91-93 Oldsmobiles that the W41 Quad 4’s came with. Its kinda of my thing. I’m a moderator for Quad4forums.com and have been playing with these motors for the past 5 years.

I’ve got an SCX for sale :slight_smile:

The manifold is stock. As is the strut brace.

A friend of mine who I used to work with at Transittown does paint on the side. Its not as perfect as I’d like it to be, but unless I point out the flaws you’d never notice them.