1994 camaro rear end

I bought a 1994 Z/28 camaro not to long ago and I was wondering how much a 10 bolt (7.5") rear end could handle? I put a new auburn posi unit in with GM gears (3.73) and all new bearings. I also just bout some 11.5" wide hoosier tires and i’m afraid that if I start getting the car to hook up i’m going to start breaking things. I was thinking about running a rear end support cover, but would this be enough? Any suggestions?

sticky tire + dig + 10 bolt = KAAABOOOOOMMMMMM

The cover will help for sure. You are running an auto and you already changed the brittle GM gears, so you are good to go for quite a while. Hit the track, and when your 60 foot times get consistently into the low 1.5 range, start worrying.

it’ll last for a little bit, I’ve seen some last years and some only weeks :gotme: I have real good luck with my 7.5s :tup:

Mine snapped with mild bolt-ons and a pair of Nittos… well, mine snapped 3 times with this setup in 2 weeks…

read it know it

Main two things to get are the cover and the bearing to keep the pinion from walking up teh ring.

Theyre good and reliable, and with those mods, theyll be able to handle plenty of power. theyre jack shit if you keep em stock with slicks

Anyone here anything about the “LPW ultimate axle tube brace kit” part #619-341-A. I was looking at the jegs website and I came across it.

Chris, if you buy every single brace/support/cover/posi unit/axle for your 10-bolt, you’ll end up investing nearly enough for a bullet-proof 12 bolt. The factory gears are brittle. Aftermarket gears like Richmonds are softer, so they can absorb some shock, but they also tend to howl. Get aftermarket gears, the cover, and run it. You have an auto. Auto trannies will shock the rear-end much less than a M6 car will.

Honestly it’s a coin flip, it will go ‘pop’ or it wont. I was cutting 1.9-2.0’s with a 4k clutch drop on Nittos that I heated up with my stock 7.5" 10 bolt with 3.42s and didn’t have any problems. Then again 1.9 isnt exactly rocketing out of the hole, but that’s my expirience. The girdle is definitely a good idea too :tup:

thats another good point that i forgot to bring up.

Yeah, I thought about that too, I think that I will just run the girdle for now and see what happens, thanks for your help.

did you just refer to a 10bolt as good and reliable? You can blow them up on stock powered cars and drag radials.

10bolts are hit or miss. Some pop right away others run 10s all year and never have a problem.

Being an auto your’s should last longer, but even so with hoosiers out back, if you do a lot of launching i dont see it lasting forever so you might as well start savign for the 12bolt.

i know someone who killed his rearend on a '01 or '02 WS6 stock with just Nitto DRs on it with very low mileage on the car, and tore the rear to shreads. Mine lasted until I swapped in 4.10’s and started launching properly and got traction, then it was gone. Now I’m running a Strange 12 Bolt with a Denny’s Nitrous Ready Driveshaft…

what color is this camaro of yours

“Purple pearl metallic” but its actually more of a grayish color, its not that gay purple.

Is this Jake?

There is no hope for the 10 bolt. No amount of money into it can save you. Its a matter of luck vs time. The ring gears are just too small, and there is nothing you can do about it. Ive broken them with street tires, drag radials, a dirty look, anything. I even wore out a 10 bolt racing from a 40 roll. I managed to race for a few years on various 10 bolts, most of the time 1 wheel peeling and always in need of a replacement, so it can be done but wasnt optimal at all. You can hide it behind an automatic sometimes, but I still personally wouldnt drop the hammer with slicks unless you have / can afford a replacement.

^^^^Don’t listen to him, he breaks everything :lol:

Thats funny I think I remember hearing that from someone else LOL :biglaugh:. But with that much horsepower what you expect, that thing sounds good!

lol all these 10bolt haters…Cougarspeed cut 1.69 on his 10bolt with 4.10s in it…and its still going after a year of racing…

I cut 1.71 on a baby launch with mine with a 4000 stall…I have no worries about running slicks with it…

If your car is auto you stand a good chance of having it live…

Its wheel hop that kills the rear end and no pre load on the gear set when someone drops the clutch.