1995 Jeep Cherokee sport worth it?

OK, so my brother is selling his project truck (not really a project he bought it and let it sit)

Its a 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport
4.0L High Output
Automatic
120,xxx
4x4 Transfer case works good
Needs ebrake work
Needs new exhaust

The body is in decent shape, but it isnt withouit its dents and dings, overall its a solid truck.

Hes letting it go for $850.00, is that price fair?

Another question I have is, what are the typical problems with these vehicles?

Rust?

If not, $850 is a steal.

The 4.0 I6’s are champs and will last a long time.

Problems with the I6 — transmission.

Other than that its pretty beasty.
Is it select a trac transmission?

not a select a trac transmission

and the only rust is on the quarter where it slid into a ditch, so its surface rust from a light scrape, as in theres NO BODY ROT AT ALL

im seriously thinkin of pickin this up. How good of a DD are these?

Shitty gas mileage because it’s about as aerodynamic as a cube, but other than that, reliable.

My girlfriend has had 3 Jeep Cherokees. I have been driving the '95 the past few days. They don’t leave you stranded really. Shit breaks from time to time, like on any car, but it’s nothing recurring. And parts can be had cheap. Rotors are dirt cheap, and they are simple as hell to work on mechanically. And junkyards will have tons of them since they are so common so there’s a source for parts.

Plus, fording ditches for the hell of it is a damn good time.

As for my gripes… The interior is as cheap as you can get. My 1991 Toyota seems like it is space-age compared to a '95 Jeep interior. The seats are designed for obese americans and offer NO lateral support at all, which gets old quick in a car that seems to sway as much as Jeeps do. And make sure you lube the doors and locks regularly as it is VERY common for them to freeze up.

Yeah gas mileage at best of like 17mpg highway (I’ve had a 93 & a 94 and both were the same).

They can go off road and be fun. The select a trac version can do a wicked brake stand haha. Kegs fit easily in the back hatch after stealing them from a keg party (good story behind that). They are very easy to find parts as they are very common.

If yours has the leather interior it is comfy but agreed, no lateral support.

I never had any serious problems except for the 93 catching on fire at 173k miles, and burning to the ground.

To give an idea of gas mileage, you have a 20 gallon tank, and it only goes about 300-350 highway miles.

^ if your lucky, my brother has an 01 with 31s and he gets like 220 at most per tank

story ?

lol

DO IT, its a solid well rounded vehicle, watch out for overheating (usually caused by water pump) saggy rear spring( they should be somewhat flat but not inverted) and have fun in the mud!

Eh, depends how you drive.

Just took a '98 to Vermont and back. Got there on a full tank averaging 75 on the I-90. Same to come back.

Once you get into stop and go, or hilly conditions is where it really starts gulping the gas.