How reliable are the 4.0L Jeep Cherokees?

I’ve been looking at 99+ Jeep Grand Cherokees with 4.0L I6’s and haven’t talked to too many people that have owned them.

anyone own of these beasts? any problems? true gas mileage? costly maintenance?

Be nice to have one as an all year DD when I need to move shit around and tow things.

about as reliable as you can get

gas mileage in real-world: 13/18

****/5 stars

(my brother bought an 01 with 22k miles on it, its now at 64k, 4 years later. He hasnt done anything other than normal maintenance, flushes etc.)
Well that and he lifted it 8" and it runs with lockers and 33" tires now

He also had an 89 4.0l XJ and that thing was put through the worst punishment I have ever seen, jumping curbs, offroading, it was tipped on its side once. Had 196k miles on it when he traded it in, they gave him 4k for it.

edit: extra tip, get yourself a starter for the winter, they dont sound very healthy driving around with cold starts.

Those are nice. Ive always wanted one. I hear the transmissions are garbage though.

I have a 04 Grand Cherokee and also had a 99. I have never had an issue with the motor in these trucks, just change the oil and you’re good to go. my 99 had 170,000 on it when it was totaled and drove like new. 04 has 70,000 and runs like a champ.

Gas mileage in the winter is about 15-16 mpg avg, goes up to about 17 in summer when in 2wd. 4wd, about 13 in winter, never used it in summer.

Tranny’s certainly could be better…

:tup: to fast responses.

How costly are maintenance issues when they do happen? I can’t imagine them to be bad considering they are everywhere.

I’ll most likely get one. 18mpg isn’t horrible. But then again, I have the bike to get me a solid 50mpg during the summer.

you can get it to look like this too!

http://sonikempire.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10004/normal_100_2273.JPG

/whoring my brothers shit

check your math on 50mpg hombre, lol im gettin 35

They are badass, i have a 98 Cherokee limited that was supposed to be my 16th b day gift, but here we are 5 years later and my dad still hasnt taken the time to get the title in order. This summer i plan on getting it squared away. Only has 60k on it i believe, I plan on selling it for my LS1 build fund :smiley:

I’m on stock sprockets. I got 48 mpg when riding normally over the summer.

how much you want for it? lol

my buddy has a 94 grand cheerokee n the odometer just hit 256,000k still is a monster back off tift street too!!

I have no idea what its even worth. It was my step mom’s old truck, so it has a couple blemishes. The hood latch needs to be fixed (the cable that goes from the latch to the inside snapped) Black with grey leather interior, wood grain dash :pimp: … when the time comes i will have pics and stuff

good stuff. let me know. :tup:

Yeah my 6’s got like 35 and my r1 got like 30…Figure in the extra insurance, a rear tire every 2k and a front every 4k…gear upkeep is ALOT…its not any cheaper than a car…

don’t forget the tickets…:wink:

my 600 katana got 50+mpg. I’m really not making this shit up haha. But I have to stress, this is with TRYING to keep the mpg down.

on a normal basis, low 40’s with the cbr and mid 40’s with the katana.

EDIT - and also, the insurance for the bike is faaarrrr cheaper than the car. But I understand what you mean by extra insurance. It would be nice to only need the bike during the summer…

I’ve had 3 of these Jeep’s with the I6 4.0L and I can attest the motor will go through a lot.

However, transmissions do suck (all 3 I’ve had were auto, do they make the 4.0 in stick?)

I’ve seen several cases of the jeep 4.0 I6 outlasting the body.

Unfortunately with Chryslers questionable rust proofing that might not be saying a lot.

But yeah, that is one bullet proof motor.

awesome. this thread is making me want to buy one even more now.

^^^ Yeah all the ones I had 2 made it to 180k (one burnt to the ground due to an electric fire after a few minute long brake stand) and one is still sitting at home with a bad tranny (go figure).

I saw 14-18mpg typically. Maintenance wasn’t too bad since they are fairly common to find parts for. If the transmission goes it’ll be 250-400 depending on where you find one.