1QIK Tranny (not vestite)

Decided to give rebuilding a tranny a whirl. Have some possible tranny issues of my own going on so picked up Josh’s spent tranny. Besides a shop press and a bearing splitter (not yet sure what that is but it sounds like I should be able to f### some shit up with that) I should be good to go. Found a nice post online from someone who did the whole thing, and then some. His was out of a Pathfinder (which shares our Z tranny) so theres only a couple minor differences. If anyone has some advice (like quit while you’re ahead), feel free.

PS Josh: did you have a healthy oil leak or what?

not vestite lmao!

That oil on there isn’t from my car… I hope, lol.

Flush it down that shitter

How many uncaged roller bearings are in these? InB4ohshit!

I like to work comfortably. No time to stop for bodily functions. (4) bearings if I’m not mistaken.

Before I opened the thread I was a little Leary because of the title…

Can’t be to careful these days, Leary.

Wrap that bastard in CF too.

YEEEEEEAAAAHHH !! I never even thought of that !

I will only wish you good luck, as I never really opened up a trans, I leave that kinda shit to the pro’s.

If it looks like I’m getting in too deep, I bail. The rebuild post / thread was on a site called beergarage.com. The guy was apparently mechanically inclined at best, took his time, read the manual and did it himself. Also think he gained knowledge and appreciation for manual transmissions and how they work. Feel like I’ve pawned off a certain amount to others for lack of a garage to work in and time to devote to projects / repairs. No rush on this,…unless it shits the bed next week

we’ll find out Wednesday, your transmission vs my rear end

OPERATION CLOSE DOWN DUNN FOR 30 MINS

If it’s gonna break, it’s gonna break.

I’ve powdercoated a few trans cases when fully apart

Ok, got the case apart and found some chewed up metal parts at the bottom. After some “detectiving” it looks like it came off what I believe is called the “shift dog”? (see pics) If I cannot locate a replacement, this thread will become very brief. Next question. Anyone available who knows a little about tranny’s / gears that could take a look at the condition of the inner workings to see if it’s worth rebuilding? If it looks like a worthy project, I’ll order the rebuild kit. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Kinda shoved it back where it belongs.

That would be why I didn’t beat that Mustang by more on the way home form Watkins Glen… :slight_smile:

KInd of looks like a shift fork, T56s aren’t horrible to rebuild… Which doesn’t mean much here lol.

Yeah, id call it a shift fork too. T56s are real easy, im sure theres write ups all over to follow.

Hortanica on here just successfully built one working AWD DSM tranny out of three broken ones. He might be able to provide some insight. I know it’s two different animals but I’d still chalk it up as a win for DIYers everywhere.