2000 Subaru clutch job info?

its a 2000 Subaru Impreza outback sport, 2.2 5 spd. the car has 101,000 miles on it, original clutch. its starting to slip when i give it any serious power, so i’m figuring its time for a new clutch. i was hoping to find out how hard it is to do at home. i’ve done clutch jobs on RWD chevys, and 1 Audi Quattro, so i’m hoping its not anything very new or different. has anyone attempted this before, or have any words of wisdom before i start? thanks.

GSX who works at innovative has become an pro at scooby transmissions…hopefully he will chime in.

If you have done an audi quattro then you will be fine. Basically the same thing. Easier though.

The block and tranny don’t like to split easily when they’ve been mated for a while. The bulk of the tranny and location make getting it on/off a little tricky. Other than those two parts of the job it’s just time consuming.

The non-turbo trannies are a lot lighter than the WRX/STi ones so it’s not as bad. I don’t know if you have a way to the car up high enough at home that you can drop the tranny onto a small tranny jack or if you’d have to wrestle it onto your chest. I definitely wouldn’t do it on the ground and Justin (GSX) refuses to as well, but it can certainly be done.

If you decide to have a shop do it let us know.