2004 WRX mods?

My friend just purchased a 2004 WRX, and is looking at some mods in the near future, nothing insane but just something to make it a bit quicker and nicer looking.

What could he do to this aside from the STi Turbo setup? (Info on that would be good as well as far as what he’d need to do to the car.)

He’s looking into intakes and exhausts already, but he is unsure of what is pretty good to get along with a reasonable price. He doesn’t want to spend a fortune but makes good enough money to not buy shit.

If there is anything else motor and suspension wise that would be helpful for him please send it my way.

I know a fair amount about cars myself, but I still thought I should ask some people with experience.

Thanks!

any brand name suspension…ebay is bad with suspension

Yes, he and I both know that. He can probably afford to do some decent coils in spring.

depends what kind of money/user-tune-ability they want.

Cobb makes good stuff, as does APS and TurboXS.

if they want plug and play power check out TurboXS or Cobb. Pure raw power would be APS stuff

He’d like just the smaller things as of right now. He doesn’t want to go crazy this summer at least.
Thank you though, I’ll tell him to check out those companies websites.

No point in doing an intake. Any preference on how loud the exhaust is?

Not too loud, nice exhaust note though, I know boxers sound fucking siqqqq though.

EDIT: He loves the cobb on an STi.

Cobb tuner.
Best place to start.

Everyone starts with up pipe, down pipe and a tune, access port is pretty sweet but innovative can give you a custom tune on it to unlock a bit of extra power. From there suspension, brakes, tires in no specific order.

^^^

Up-pipe, down-pipe, custom tune is a good bet usually you can squeeze more power out of it. Unless you like to change it on the fly in which case the accessport is a fair choice. Will broaden the power band as well.

Tires, easily the best handling mod.

Brakes are quite well in stock form, some pads would probably be all he needs unless he’s a ton of track time or doing insane speeds all the time. Even then they hold up well.

Suspension wise, I know nothing I’m still learning on how to take full advantage of the stock setup. But it can make a huge difference and make it a lot easier to reach the limits.

What I had on my 05 wrx:
TBE: TurboXS RFL for exhaust… sounds like the car should
Accessport stage 2, Mike was telling me the other day he can now do a custom tune.
Like rob said, brakes. I was running this kit that improved my braking tremendously http://www.innovativetuning.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=140
For suspension I’d start out with some thicker sway bars, coil overs are for later IMO.

I had d2 coilovers on my wrx and they held their own at the track and on the street

Uppipe, downpipe, flash, brake pads and tires = best bang for the buck.

Coils are def over rated for a WRX. Lots of quality spring options that offer an amazing drop; Prodrive, Cobb, Tanabe, etc

STi driveline swap. :slight_smile:

all that grip is a waste with a weak trans…

Brian

+1

Hawk pads! FTMFW

For suspension, im surprised no one has mentioned sway bars and end links. Those coupled with pads and the right tires would own all on the autox track.

For motor, a reflash and dp should do you just fine. I guess that cat in the uppipe is a killer but ah well. I feel that more people should run meth with this setup and squeeze out a few extra ponies but that is just my opinion.

Borla Hush exhaust has a nice sound but not really loud and obnoxious.

The 04’s are leaps and bounds stronger than the 02’s.