2008 College Football thread

I think the system is going to be flawed regardless of how they set it up. There is still going to be polling and computer calculations involved. If they set up an 8 team playoff there we be people bitching about the number 9, 10, 11 and 12th teams.

If you can take 8 teams then the chances of excluding the best team are slim. So I agree that a playoff system will ultimately determine the best team in college football BUT its not going to eliminate the controversy. The teams that get left out are going to complain about not having an opportunity.

I love Hawaii to death but they didn’t deserve to play in the sugar bowl last year just like Utah doesn’t need to be involved in the BCS this year. So if they continue ranking the teams as they do to determine a playoff there are going to be teams like that making it into the playoff while teams between 9 and 25 that are worthy will be excluded.

sorry that’s all jumbled up.

Jimmy

I can not stand Alabama because of Nick Saban, I love Pete Carroll but hate USC with a passion because they can be upset by a lesser team yet still find a way to have a shot at the championship.

The rest of the teams I am indifferent to with the exception of Florida. I have always been a Florida fan except last year when I was rooting for Colt Brennan to win the Heisman. I knew that if Florida had success that Tebow was going to win.

I would like to see a resurgence of the traditional powers like you mentioned too. I just do not think that with the way college football is going that it will be happening. I think the traditional offenses in college are being killed by the spread offense putting up huge numbers. Traditional offenses are built on game management and control while the spread is meant to score and do it fast.

Another thing is that I think that its hard for teams to build a defense that can stop a tradition offense one week then be asked to stop a spread offense the next. If you look at all the teams you mentioned all but 2 or 3 run a traditional offense. You defense a spread with a Nickle type defense and more athletic linebackers while you need 4 or 5 lineman and run stopping backer to stop a traditional offense. I think that’s a difficult thing to ask of one team.