2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R and my Bike plans.

Anyone have one or ridden one?

I’ve been on a bike once in my life, hence why I now want to get a bike.

Before I buy anything though, I am taking the road classes at HVCC.

I’m thinking a black, blue, or white 2009 250R when I’m ready. Then get a fender delete kit, flush turn signals, smoked windscreen, and HID’s. Maybe lower it a little.

As far as gear…a Kawasaki Jacket, Shoei X-Eleven Helmet, and some gloves (all matching the bike of course) should be enough right? I don’t need pants or boots do I?

My intention is to cruise, etc. I’m not getting a bike to do wheelies, go as fast as I can, etc. I might not even upgrade to a 600 since the 250R looks nice as it is.

Just my 2 cents.

If you are not already registered for the MSF course, odds are they are already filled for the year. If you are firm about taking the course, I would personally visit HVCC and talk to live person see if they can work you in the schedule, that is if it is full already.

If you don’t have a fridge of cash to burn, as much as I like the new 250R, buying a new one is simply not the best way the money is spent. The bike retails at $4k+destination and that is A LOT for a entry level 250cc bike. If you just want a bike to learn on, why not just get a used one for cheap?

Glad to see you are going to invest in gears, I would suggest drop all the name brand stuff like the Kawi jacket and the Shoei helmet. A simple snell approved is good enough and a jacket with good built-in armor. Why stop all the gear at waist down? At the minium at least get a good pair of boots. The money you saved from not getting a shoei helmet and a kawi jacket should be more than enough for that.

I always like something to cover my ankles when I ride…feels weird when I don’t.

99FRC on the board had one for a little while. Like someone else said previously, why not buy a used 250? They introduced that newer body style in 2008. You may be able to find one for cheap. Good luck!

http://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/1158337962.html

Well yeah…I’d probably do that regardless. But I definitely wouldn’t get the 07 and older. I’m getting a bike for the look factor too. I don’t want to look like I’m riding a bike from the early 90’s. That’s just me though. I don’t care for power, but looks have to be there in anything I own (cars, computers, etc.)

First things first is getting licensed. I don’t even want to get a bike until I know how to properly ride them and be as safe as possible.

Phibb’s also had a used 08 for sale for $3500, with 5k miles iirc.

I’m not buying anytime soon. By the time I buy, 09’s will probably be in the mid 3.5k’s. Most important thing for me right now is reading reviews and taking the classes. Education. I don’t want to get hurt nor die.

Then you shouldn’t be getting into the motorcycle world at all.

No matter how you put it, what you start on, what you wear or how your ride, your chances for either will increase dramatically.

Bad idea. You will be “forced” to sell off all the gear when you decide to get another bike whether a replacement or a second one. Since looks are important to you, you will also look silly riding a friends bike if it’s not a Kawi. Also definitely do not color match, just stick with the Black/Grey theme. It goes with every bike.

Shoei helmet however is a great choice. I personally love my Rf1000.

As far as stopping half way with gear, either man up and ride in full gear or ride naked (literally). Never understood the half gear stuff. People who wear gear, wear it for the time they fall and they wear it to be protected. If you’re going through the trouble of purchasing and wearing gear each day, might as well make it all worth it in the D-day and come out without any scrapes. Nothing is worse then always wearing gear, getting into an accident and still being hurt on the parts you’re not covered on.

At least the guys who wear no gear, may not be too bright but they commit to the fact that if they go down, they’re f&$ked one way or another.

Good choice on the size bike to start with, bad call on getting it new.

Msf is a good thing. See if you can be put on the call-out list. The people that last minute don’t show up or call ahead saying they won’t make it need to be replaced. That’s how I got in a month sooner.

Check ACC too, they offer MSF and not too far away.

Good luck!

I’ll keep everyones points in mind. I’m still a ways off, but I’m the kind of person who plans. I don’t do stuff last second.

Have you got a permit yet if you plan on taking the MSF course? Also plan on waiting on 6~8 weeks for the waiver for the license after you’ve completed the course.

When are you “plan” on actually riding?

I thought you get a permit there and then if you take a certain number of courses you get your license there? That’s how I understood the info on HVCC’s site.

I plan on riding next spring. Buying a bike in the winter time if I can get a good deal. But again, I’m a HUGE planner. I research, read, research, read well in advance of doing something serious like this.

good luck, i eventually plan on taking on riding realllll slow like you are, probably 3+ years out, though :lol

Nice. Do it at the rate that guarantees the most safety lol.

:thumb At least you got the right way of looking at it!

The safest way to ride a motorcycle is at the track. :wink:

Although I LOVE MotoGP and how they can go from having one knee touching the pavement to having the other touching the pavement in one swift move, I’ll stick to cruising around. lol.

I know I’m safer in a car, but I’ve always loved the ways bikes sound/look.

I’m getting onto one (hopefully) to just enjoy it. I’m not looking to do 150 on a highway. Or do wheelies, etc. The only reason I’m educating myself is so I can be a better ‘defensive driver’ so to speak.

Keep in mind, absolute power corrupts absolutely. If somebody wants a Zonda as a car because they enjoy the sound and looks, it’s unreasonable to expect them not to push it every once in a while. You say that now coming from a Maxima, but even a 250 will feel like a rocket, speed sensation is all relative and very addictive.