2010 World Cup!

http://rlisu.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/149.jpg

The tournament starts tomorrow with South Africa vs Mexico. Kickoff at 10AM eastern. USA is in Group C with Algeria, England, and Slovenia. Their first game is Saturday at 4:30 against England.

Who’s excited?

I’m slightly interested.
Enough to check standings, but probably not enough to watch or paint my head to look like a soccer ball.
(It’s not round enough)

It would make a great rugby ball though.

LOL a hockey guy already walked in this morning to lament that the stanley cup tournament is over. I said something about the real tournament starting tomorrow. He had no idea what I was talking about.

^likewise

[sarcasm]I care about soccer[/sarcasm]

will likely not take in a single moment of this event…

maybe the final… maybe… and only if there is nothing interesting going on anywhere on the internet

Joburg: 60% of the time, you don’t get aids, every time.

I’ll be following and watching.

Grew up with the sport. Was in France when they won the '98 World Cup. I have never witnessed a passion that intense and celebrations that ridiculous before.

I understand and respect the sport immensely and am excited to see how the Cup plays out.

USA defender Oguchi Onyewu believes he is fit enough to combat the challenge of England striker Wayne Rooney in Saturday’s opening World Cup game in Group C, despite a seven-month injury lay-off.

And with Rooney’s temper starting to come to the surface in the last couple of warm-up games, the AC Milan center-back is ready if the Manchester United striker starts being over-physical in his approach.

Onyewu has only just returned to action after suffering a patella injury in November, and recovering from knee surgery, but is now ready to try and stop England’s most dangerous player.

“I am up to facing England. You can argue that it is a hindrance facing Wayne Rooney in that I haven’t played a lot,” Onyewu acknowledged, when speaking to reporters.

"But it is the decision of the coach to pick the 23-man squad and he felt I was fit enough to contribute to the team - and so do I.

"I get asked if I will stand up to Rooney if he puts it about but I’ve played big, strong players before.

"If they want to start pushing, they can start pushing. That is fine, that is not an issue.

“It will not hurt us with me being strong. I don’t think it will be the deciding factor but it will be a contributory factor to help us.”

But the 28-year-old will be used to a typically strong English physical encounter after a six-month spell at Newcastle United in the Premier League.

Onyewu added: "I didn’t face Rooney during my time at Newcastle but played against him for the USA.

"I remember him being a good player, always putting pressure on the defense, pretty much what you see week in and week out for Manchester United.

"But I don’t think Rooney is the only player on the English squad.

“They have a number of world class players from defense to attack. Although Rooney is a world class and great player, you shouldn’t focus on just one player.”

south africa leads 1-0 against mexico lol …who are you guys going for in the world cup 2010???

Yeah I’m listening to a live audio feed from the BBC’s website while I work. :tup:

Meh, USA of course. If they make it out of the first round I’ll be happy. By the time they’re eliminated I’ll probably have my favorite underdog picked. :shrug:

---------- Post added at 11:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

You?

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

Damnit! The BBC feed died, but it’s 1-1 now!

:’( South Africa draws the first game…they had it!

i know!!!

and my team is brazil as always =]

my friends dad calls gay people “soccer players”

like, “hey check out that fruity soccer player over there” wink wink nudge nudge

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs581.snc3/30668_435199296281_724586281_6197815_4615503_n.jpg

:BIGBLAP:

oh man did not even clue in to the match up heading.
that is epic lulz

God those horns are so fucking annoying. I was actually bored enough to turn the cup on today but turned it off minutes later cause of the constant noise.

Soccer sucks almost as bad as Canada.

bumping this up for another HORRIBLY called back US goal.

This is what we get for making every other country hate us.

GOOOOOAAAAAAAALLLL!!!

thank god for stoppage time