2013 NHRA rules relaxed for 2008+ vehicles.

Looks like unaltered firewall 2008+ vehicles are good to 9.99 and 135 now with no bar.

Didnt read it all just copying what i saw on another site.

2012 rules full bodied cars
Roll bar (5 or 6point) 11.00 or slower
Roll Cage (A pillar and roof halo) 10.99 or quicker or exceeding 135mph

So they decided that an 08 and newer you can run with just a helmet and a lap belt when(now) even a full roll cage was 1 sec SLOWER than what you say they will let you run in 2013?

NHRA musta gotten a better insurance carrier for 2013!

http://www.nhra.com/UserFiles/file/2012%20to%202013%20Rule%20Book%20Amendments.pdf

its for a specific racing class/event it seems. Summit Racing Series, street legal class. NOT over all NHRA sanctioned track rules and regulations. IE, showing up to LVD in a 10 sec 134mph 08 Z06 with zero safty equiptment still wont fly.

NHRA DRAGS: STREET LEGAL STYLE PRESENTED BY AAA (Page xiv) (5th paragraph)
Additionally rRequirements and specifications for Street Legal are the same as those for the Summit Racing Series with the following exception: Unaltered 2008 OEM model year and newer production cars running slower than 9.99 and 135 mph do not have to meet the requirements and specifications for the Summit Racing Series except for the following: Convertibles and T-tops must meet Summit Racing Series Roll Bar and Roll Cage requirements, All drivers must meet the Summit Racing Series Helmet and Protective Clothing requirements.”

Its a start. 2013 GT500’s are running 10’s with a tire. They need to do something.

Physics doesn’t care if Ford builds a 2013 Pinto with 1500whp and runs a 6.49 at 220mph… crashing it at that speed with no safety devices is going to hurt and kill people. You are looking at it backwards man. THEY as in NHRA doesn’t need to do anything but tell people if they want to run on their tracks they need to protect themselves and others by outfitting their cars appropriately. Unless NHRA is going to crash test and check every make and model, for arguments sake 08+, and verify that they all can keep someone safe in a crash @ speed… they wouldn’t be risking liability by allowing stock chassis cars to run like this. All it would take is one chump that gets mangled in his 2013 GT500 to sue them because their omission in the safety rules caused them harm.

And yes I understand that new cars are inherently built much stronger, new cars like sports cars factory capable of speeds like this. BUT, not all of them are. Until 100% of them are and can be proven… we will be putting 6 points of DOM tubing in our cars, designed specifically in such a way that NHRA is confident that the same cage can be installed in a 135mph cardboard box or an 2013 Mustang, crash, and keep the occupants safe.

Well also with the newer the vehicle the design and safety features are upgraded. They can get an A+ rating at high MPH crashes and i think the NHRA has looked at that and maybe lightend up a bit. No one racing classes, means lost sponsors and lost money for them. I think over the next few years things will really change. How many street cars do you see running low 11’s high 10’s crashing at the track? Not many. Sure, accidents happen but, you dont see it to to often.

Just go take a look at that CTS-V wagon that Boxersix has. Thing fucking held up like it had a cage in it. Now that thing would go to the track with some tires on it and run 11’s all day and would get told it needs a cage? Fuck outta here.

The part about not alot of people running those classes/events means lost money… is the point of the amendment I will put my money on. Summit Racing geared that series towards closer factory stock or close cars and drivers. Naturally people dont want to mod the interior of a $50K sports car, so they cant enter the races without a pass like this amendment.

And look at the CTSV that hit a wall at 140+ and flipped over, held up damn good. Like I said I dont deny that new cars are built like brick shithouses. And crashing a factory car running 10’s is far and few between. BUT again, all it takes is one greedy bastard with a lawyer to shit on NHRA corp when they get hurt. A generalization amendment to the rule book to allow 08 and newer cars to run anywhere any time like that is opening the flood gates for problems.

There is a BIG difference in safety between a ZR1 running a 10 bone ass stock, and a 08 mustang GT someone dumped $20K from ebay parts into, who makes his own AN oil lines for the first time, one leaks, spins him into the other lane at 120mph and takes out the other guy. What I am saying is IMO a bone ass stock car factory built has alot of R&D and $$$ backing the design to keep it as safe as it can be. Whereas 99% of the cars running are modded by the owners, their lack of R&D and their lack of $$$ are the ones running at the tracks, crashing and being liabilities, where they could sneak in though that loop hole in the amendment and be a risk.

Professionals (NHRA) don’t run their livelihood decisions on “you don’t see it often”, they do it with forethought and prevention.

see the second part of my last reply. Factory stock VS 08 backyard hackjob modded car to hit the same speeds. apples to oranges.

And when you sign that little piece of paper upon entry, youre signing away all rights to sue nhra or the track if you cant handle your car and wreck it. This isnt outlaw 10.5 or X275 here. Ive raced for the past 4 years and over 20 tracks up and down the east coast and into the middle of the country. Most tracks dont give a shit, especially down south. You could sit on a fucking milk crate and strap yourself down with velcro. With todays technology and a basic 5.3 with an 88mm turbo getting into the 9’s, especially in the southern states where there are huge events everyweekend, its whatever goes.

ok so with that logic. NHRA can just remove the cage standards across the board then right?

Just because it doesn’t happen often doesn’t mean that it’s not an issue. They’re being proactive on the situation ether than reactive. If their proactive rules save one life, they’d be worth it.

Cossey thats dumb. Its way cooler to rock a heap with wheels at 160mph, top down, with a lapbelt and the wind sucking the CD out of the radio in the 1/4 mile.

no you are not. just because the paper says it does. and yes i am too lazy to go do research for an internet forum. deal.

Alright, sorry expert drag racers. Youre all right.

You are.

You sign away all rights to insurance claim unless, you have race insurance. You crash your own car, you cant sue the track. Maybe if they dont tech properly but, doubt it.

I never implied nor said that. I was just saying not many tracks enforce nhra safety down to the book at all.

Strictly roll racing for life.

you believe you can’t sue them because you sign that paper, therefore you don’t. fact is that piece of paper you sign doesn’t mean a god damn thing when it comes to being able to sue or not.

Obviously you’ve never been anywhere outside of LVD. Most of the country would look at you like you had three heads the way your ranting right now. Unless it’s a sanctioned NHRA event most tracks around the country with open test and tunes don’t check shit. Jersey and New York do. MIR will give you a hard time if you get unreasonably fast. Get south of VA and it’s just about anything goes. Ohio is like Napierville…9’s wearing a seatbelt with the windows down is ok.