2016 Camaro

If you want to make a car faster, there are two sure-fire ways to get the job done – add power and/or reduce weight. Chevy has done both for the 2016 Camaro, putting as much as 455 horsepower into its muscle coupe and shaving a few hundred pounds from every trim. That range-topping power comes courtesy of a 6.2-liter V8 engine, and it’s enough grunt to push an automatic-equipped Camaro SS to 60 miles per hour in just 4.0 seconds flat (4.3 seconds with a manual) and down the quarter mile in 12.3 seconds at 116 mph (12.5 at 115 for the stick). ​Not coincidentally, those acceleration specs, at least on paper, put the V8-powered Camaro SS just above the Mustang GT on the muscle-car pecking order.

When the road gets twisty, Chevy claims the Camaro SS can generate as much as .97 g on the skidpad. And, thanks in part to its Goodyear Eagle F1 summer tires, the SS can stop from 60 in as little as 117 feet. We look forward to finding out how nimble the new Camaro feels when compared to its primary competitors.

Moving down one notch to the 335-hp 3.6-liter V6, properly equipped 2016 Camaro coupes can hit 60 in as few as 5.1 seconds and cover the quarter in 13.5 at 103. Perhaps even more intriguingly, the 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder and its 275 horsepower (the only configuration quicker with a manual transmission, incidentally) can propel the Camaro to 60 in 5.4 seconds and through the 'ol 1320 in 14 seconds flat. That’s seriously quick, but buyers comparing the Camaro to the Mustang will find that the EcoBoost 2.3-liter is a bit more powerful (310 hp and 320 lb-ft) and quicker (5.1 seconds to 60).

Chevy is making lots of noise about the efforts its engineers went through to shed weight from the 2016 Camaro, going so far as to shave down suspension bolts so that no thread went unthreaded. The weight-saving obsession pays off – base Camaro models are down 390 pounds while the SS model drops 223 pounds over the 2015. The 2016 Camaro SS boasts a power-to-weight ratio of 8.1 lbs per pony, a 14-percent improvement over the last-gen. Even though weight is down, chassis stiffness is said to be up by 28 percent over the fifth-gen Camaro coupe. Also of note: The Camaro is now lighter than the Mustang across the board when comparing like-to-like configuration levels.

The 2016 Chevy Camaro starts at $26,695 (including $995 for destination). That’s $1,995 more than the starting price from 2015, but you get more equipment for your dollar with the new car. The price increase continues to the SS, which starts at $37,295 in 2016, $2,795 more than the 2015 SS and more than $5,000 more than a Mustang GT. Expect the 2016 Chevy Camaro to hit dealerships this fall.

http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35564&stc=1

the side of the car looks like a mustang

and they might as well just get rid of the headlights at this point, making them smaller each redesign.

Finally looks a lot better then the first version of this new retro look

Yeah it’s definitely looking better, if only because it’s looking more like the Mustang :slight_smile:

I was going to say the Camaro still does nothing for me but that yellow and that angle is a terrible picture of it.

^ That’s a good looking car if you’re in the market for American muscle.

Wait until they release a Z/28 version, or a ZL-1 or 1LE. The base 2016 SS is quicker around a road course than the outgoing 1LE which is quicker around a road course than the fabled BOSS 302 Laguna Seca.

I’m not seeing the resemblance to the new Mustang. The 2016 Camaro looks very similar to the 2014-15 Camaro.

http://chevylav.com/wp-content/gallery/2014-chevy-camaro-coupe-colors/red-rock-metallic.png

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Shared%20Resources/01_images/2015-camaro-cross-shopping-tile-482x224.jpg

http://images.webmakerx.net/eVoxTransparent/Chevrolet/9260/9260_031-0515.png

Exactly my point:

http://db.carbuzz.com/images2/480000/6000/700/486738.jpg

Oh the front ends don’t look similar at all. It’s the side & “hips” of the car. The Camaro had those vertical lines on the just before the rear wheels and a hard line down the side door. They’ve now removed them and softened the lines of the car, but that’s already where the Mustang was style wise:

http://www.nyspeed.com/pictures/sides.jpg

It wasn’t meant to look totally different I don’t think, it’s all part of the same generation (I could be mistaken) with small face lifts every couple of years, now the next fully revamped model I’m sure will not share many if any similarities. I like the new look of both the Camaro and Stang though.

2016 is a new platform, new generation. But the design language is a “evolution” of the current generation.

I’ll be placing an order of a nice yellow 1LE or ZL1 when I can order one. :slight_smile:

This is a new platform as mentioned, that is pretty solid.

You sure you can handle that MPG hit?

http://www.occidentaldissent.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/detroit-obama-gas-station.jpg

It won’t be a daily, it’ll sit in the garage with slicks and skinnies on it. The M3 is going to get a 5.3 or 6.0 swap this winter and she will be my summer daily. For winter I’m driving my old Grand Cherokee. LoL

The Volt was just an ambassador car I got to drive for a bit.

That’s a really pretty car. Looks awesome in the pic JayS posted.

Meah. I really don’t see too many similarities between this and the WhiteTrashFerrari…They’re both great cars. It comes down to styling/features/etc. at this point. Which ergonomics work better for you? Which infotainment system do you like best? Which clutch feels better? It’s not really which one is faster or handles better anymore.

Meanwhile, the Challenger is in the corner drowning its sadness in KFC.

Weight loss is good.

Challenger sales are very strong actually. Dodge hit a home run with the Scat Pak and Hellcat, and they continue to offer amazing new colors while keeping the price in check. You can pick up a 485hp Challenger for around $40k.

I love weight reduction on the new platform. Them mentioning saving weight down to the bolts. seems like a logical move from a production standpoint. Less wasted materials. It reminds me a bit of the old miata comercials where they would show that the new review mirror lost 23 grams and had other comparisons. That is what it takes to get a sizeable grand total of weight loss though.

I also LOVE dodges color. Conquest Justin has a challanger RT in a bright green that is almost offensive to the eyes and I fucking love it.

I like the new camaro.

The challenger i really hope they just shrink it and put it on a diet, thays the only thing i dont like about them.

I don’t know if Dodge has the volume numbers to justify building a smaller platform. If they make it smaller then bye bye Charger for cop duties and no more 4-door 300. The Challenger is based off of a heavy 4-door sedan. They would have to make a stand-alone platform and it doesn’t sell enough units.