20k ish budget. Need a year round DD.

I have a budget of 20k. It needs to tow 1500lbs. Have room for atv gear / atv spare tires.

I’m really looking towards a 09-12 jetta TDI.

Any suggestions?

truck.

You should ask @LowlyOilBurner how much he loves his '11 TDI sportwagon lol
overall i love the TDI and I towed stupid things with my 90hp one.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/badnewsmini/null_zpsb5a2668b.jpg

but I do think the older ones where better build sadly. but i cant imagine with the extra power the new one wouldnt do so bad.

I am currently in the exact same boat. Minus the atv thing. I’ll be watching this thread haha

some of my ideas-

CRV
pilot
rdx (the older turbo ones)
tsx

(what can I say I’m a Honda fan boy)

the jetta TDi wagon has been tempting.

also considering pulling a complete 180 and buying a Tahoe or something big and v8 and Gm

either way. I’ll be watching this thread!

Drove a 15 tdi last night. Very comfortable and has plenty of torque. I was thinking about a Tacoma but they are so damn pricy.

I got an 11 Sportwagen TDi with 172,xxx on it I’ll unload for half of what your budget is.

Not for nothing, but I was planning on putting my truck up for sale again once the weather breaks and the Miata is on the road full time…

2001 Ranger, 39k, 2WD

Dsg or 6 speed?

That’s weird, nobody let me know you were at the dealership. :wink:

My Brother just told me he was at Basil VW drove a GTI and a WRX.
he said no one took him seriously :frowning:
I know his credit isnt great/and he recently changed jobs. but he was/is seriously looking for a new car his 2000 A6 6speed 2.7t with 250K needs to be updated before something big fails on it.

He was all ready to Lease an A3 and i told him to go up to you guys and get a GTI pretty much same car but at-least that comes in stick.

oh and lowlyoilburners is 6 speed. dark gray Pano roof.
If i can unload my wifes Beetle vert 1.8t I really think i might pick it up. Id like to get back into a diesel.

Had a friend buy a new one and brought it over. Didn’t have to drive anyplace. Lol

6spd.

g8 gt…fun, bullet proof, 6L LS based V8, already has the pop out in the rear diffuser for the hidden hitch, HUGE trunk and back seat.

I always wanted a Tacoma, was looking at them until I realized I could get into a more capable fullsize for the same money…

After the accident I had a new Tacoma as a rental for about 6-7 weeks. 6cyl, 4x4, 4 door. Thing was a gutless turd and I really wasn’t impressed with the comfort driving it. Sad part is it wasn’t much different in gas consumption to my ram. I was blown away at how much I missed my truck after driving that thing.

As a new start up, we don’t have the luxury of not taking anyone seriously. If you can fog a mirror, we’re going to try our hardest to sell you a car.

I support a TDI move. I have a TDI now as a DD, it’s the 5th TDI I’ve owned personally and they are right at the top of the list of my favorite cars to own.

I have a Sportwagen, Xanders old one. I have towed a few things with it, the most probably being 1000 lbs. I don’t think you would have any trouble with 500 more.

As far at the car goes, I think Xander had some part of the EGR system fixed because it threw a CEL early on. And during the time I have owned it a wheel bearing went bad @40K which is absolutely absurd. But other than that its just been regular maintenance. The car is very comfortable and feels more expensive than it is IMO. The pano sunroof is a treat for passengers, but as a driver you won’t really notice it.

Don’t expect 45 MPG all the time like the older TDIs. Lifetime on my car I average about 35-37 mpg, mostly because my drive to work is only 8 miles. On longer trips with AC on, 70-75 MPH fully loaded through the hills I get 44-47 MPG. If you keep it under 65 you can hit 50 or so.

I’m probably getting sportwagen TDI to replace the focus I bought last year. It’s not getting nearly the mileage I’d hoped. Lifetime average is closer to 30 with ~100 miles a day on the highway and ~10 city.

This pretty much hits the nail on the head. I Average around 38-42mpg, combined driving. Much better in the summer months, usually see 42+mpg. You mentioned the AC. Does yours actually work correctly? Mine has sucked a bag of uncut cocks since day one. Blows cold for a while, them like Luke-warm, then cold again. The dealer said they all suck, this bitch I know has a Tiguan, she says the AC is shitty in it as well. Oh well.

VW passat TDI. 2010+ are pretty cheap and meet your needs as long as you are ok with auto. I don’t think you can get them in waggon anymore with TDI but beck could answer that better than me. more space for your gear and still great on fuel. A tune really wakes up the 2010+ TDI’s