225's On a 7" Wide Rim?

My wheels are 17x7 and have tires that are 205’s.
Could I safely go to a 225 tire or is that out of the question?

• Thanks
  • Edited by SHIFT_SR20DET

225 should be fine with a 7" width wheel. There might be a lot of sidewall bulge though.

225 is the max I’d go, stick with 215’s though.

please be more descriptive with your Subject lines… thank you

thanks and sorry about the subject

i have 16x7’s… running 225/50/16’s…

Is anyone here running a 215 on their 7 spokes?
If so, does the sidewall bulge out alot?

Bah, I have 17x7 rims and I run 215/45’s in the front and 235/40’s in the rear. No probs.

235’s on a 7" wide rim is just wrong. You’re just throwing your money away. There’s no advantage in performance or even looks for that matter.

Lets do some math

225mm = 8.070866inches

you can put these on a rime that is (give or take) UP TO 1.5 inches narrower or wider than this measurment. (also depending on the aspect ratio of the tires)

225’s on a 16x6.5 inch rim QUITE a bit of sidewall flex, but keep a CLOSE eye on your tire pressure.
225’s on a 17x7 has less sidewall issue, and provides a more flush fitment. you could put these on up to a 17x9.5 (although that would REALLY make your sidewall not want to flex at all… you will bend the rim, no doubt… first pothole you hit means you’re getting a new rim.)

MY General rule of thumb
205’s belong on 6.5
215’s belong on 7
225 on 7.5
235 on no less than 8 wide rim

these are not cold, hard rules… application as well as style go into choosing a rim and tire combo. please, choose wisely so as not to affect the safety of yourself or OTHERS (ie, ME)

I did last year the bulge wasn’t bad actually but if you plan to drive
your car hard or track it I don’t recommend you trying it, there just
is way too much sidewall play and way too sloppy.

i always put 215’s on my 7.5 and its perfectly flush, not bulged nor stretched.

I would say the quality of the tire is what matters most. The 205 Azenis my car ran with last year had superior grip to the 235’s I have on the car now. If your looking for maximum grip and performance and don’t want to destroy your wallet go with a smaller stickier tire rather than a wider “cooler” looking one.

^^^ Absolutely!!!

I didn’t get them because I wanted an advantage in performance or looks. I got them because I couldn’t find any used 215/45’s, so I got used 235/40’s for $38 a pop.