240 as first car?

Well, i have been putting a lot of research into what car i want, and the s13 is one of them. I’ve been saving up and i dont plan on buying the first car I see. Other then that how are they in terms of reliability and maintenance? They’re common, so spare parts don’t seem to be a problem.

Anyways, I’m just looking for some final opinions so anything is appreciated.

Welcome and glad to see another s13 fan onboard. You’re right when you say spare parts arent exactly hrad to find. But whenever you’re looking at a an 14+ year old car you’re just asking for problems (unless its a toyota). Generally the stock Ka engines that come with an S13 are relatively reliable, i generally dont hear of many problems with s13s.

When you buy the car, you should either expect or inspect all suspension components that come with the car. Ball joints and tie rod ends and CV joints are generally not in good shape if they havent been replaced at least once in its life time for most if these cars.

I just got my s13 this summer and i’ve noticed bad CV joints and just dropped off my car to get them replaced.

Also, if you’re looking at an SR, dont take est. mileage for granted, do you’re homework, compression test and replace all the necessary mechanical maintenance areas. If you’re engine is coming in a crate, make sure the lower oil pan hasnt been dented, that will mean severe trouble in the future, check the exhaust manifolds for cracks and make sure there are no boost leaks.

Good luck with your search and if you’re looking for a project car i’m selling one of mine for 800 but negotiable.

-cal

damn soy
you deff done your research,

also check for RUST! body rust isnt major but frame rust could be baddd

My 240 was my first and still the only car ive ever had. I dont know what there like in the winter casue i put it away, but as for a summer car there quite fun. as long as you get a decent one there quite reliable.
The only beef i have is that you can only really carry 1 passenger, because putting people in the back seat is just too damn squishy.

i fit 6 full size adults in mine! 1 driver, 1 passenger seat, 1 passenger floor, 3 in the back and 1 lying on them…

ahha im 17an i have an 1989 240sx as my first car i want to drift next summer and buy a better one i was looking on son240.org if your looking for a change… i had but now taken out 6 13.5 jlw7 in the truck and amps inthe back seats and still could fit 3 people in the back seatslol
lol

[QUOTE=240>4show;38992]ahha im 17an i have an 1989 240sx as my first car i want to drift next summer and buy a better one i was looking on son240.org if your looking for a change… i had but now taken out 6 13.5 jlw7 in the truck and amps inthe back seats and still could fit 3 people in the back seatslol
lol[/QUOTE]

Useless post. Thanks for wasting space.

But to address the OP, everything Cal said is true. One more thing that you will have to consider is insurance. I know many people overlook this issue and assume that they can handle it. But when push comes to shove, knowing what to expect ahead of time can relieve you of “money issues” in the future. Insurance is just one of those unforeseen things that is a neccesity.

Insurance on an S13 is super cheap.

17; 1 crash (100% fault), 1 ticket.

2400 a year.

That would be cramped…
1+1+1+3+1 = 7 not 6

Take a look at the frame rails under the car, the spare tire well, the strut towers and also around the windshield/sunroof.
Good luck with your search

Good catch, that math was some shitty as shit. I guess i was kinda cheating. The 7th was a small asian girl on the passenger floor.

Also one thing that owned me was check under the Master cylinder. Brake fluid is a bitchand will own you without wihtout you even noticing.

haha the first day i got my 240 i had 6 people in my car
me as the driver, 1 passenger, 3 in back seat and 1 (my brother) in the trunk… i aimed for every pot hole for him

and il never do it again…nor will i probably never have another person sit behind me in the back seat its way to squished

we were going to a concert in london (i think it was there) and i was the only one that drives… we planned it out when i was driving a 4dr car. but that day i picked up my 240.

Well chances are now that i will buy an s13, thanks for all your help :). If anyone has any good deals please lmk.

240s are awsome iv had alot of ppl in mine to haha 5 in the back, 2 in the front and one in the trunk and it was raining and well open diff… you know where this is going, friend in the trunk was not so happy. also sick cause i had blown rear shocks hahaha fun times tho.

LMAO…brad your an ass.

good job on gettin an s13… im getting one my self soon, so when we get it lets get membership? :smiley: