240 as a first car?

Not sure if this is the right section, I have been here for awhile, just lurking and leaning, not necessarily into purchasing a vehicle until now. I have a 97 integra(100% stock) having no compression in one of the cylinders. By the way I only drove it for a month… it has 390xxx on it thanks to my father(previous owner). So instead of putting 2g’s down to fix it, (repair the head gasket + labour) I would look for a new car. I’m going to have a budjet of 5000, but my dad thinks a 240 would not be a suitable “first car”. He thinks that a 93-95 is too old, says I should look for a 99 civic lol Just wondering what you guys think about a 240 being a first car for 5g’s. I’m 18 btw, and have a year and bit driving experience.

Get a 240!!! ahah YOULL LOVE IT!.. Just make sure you do your research on it, Always apsolutly no matter what, check out the frame rails, Strut towers, and underneath spare tire… Any rust or holes, Dont get it! Made that mistake… Waisted about a grand Down the drain

240 are great cars and fun as hell. Ive have 2 and both where shit lol, but if your smart and REALLY look over the car for 5gs you can get a clean 240 anyway hope that helps.

PS theres an outline of what to look for when buying a 240 Im not sure what section but someone will see this and post a link I hope:)

I have been looking around just at cars for sale, just throughout every page, I saw a couple of clean 95 LE’s for 5’gs right on.

This link would be great :slight_smile:

I think we need a few more threads like this.

You should probably buy something cheap and slow until you learn how to drive.

yea sure man, why not? If your young and don’t know too much mechanically I would just advise to find a nice clean 240 that’s fairly stock and fairly low clicks. You’ll probably have some cash left over for a nice set of wheels and maybe some suspension too

Im actually going to college next september for auto :smiley: I have a 2 year co-op program, hopefully I can have my co-op at performance toyota (have some connections there)…

but, if I were to get a s13-s14 I wouldn’t drop all my cash/funding into it. Currently I am un employed, hopefully I’ll get hired by a garage I work in (graduated highschool, but I returened to take a co-op at a small garage)

grab a s13 for 3500 cert/e-tested use the extra money on insurance rims w/e

You think I’m better off getting a cheaper s13 opposed to a s14?

its all about what you like i love the s13 they are cheaper ever are tonnes of parts in wreckers theyre usally cheap to fix and fun to drive if i had 5gs i would just get a clean s13 for 3500ish then save the extra money and if you decide to go more power later on you have some money to start with

yeah that makes sense, instead of spending everything I got on a s14. (I’m unemeployed, have been for awhile now), so any extra money will be fine in my hand untill I get hired from my garage

exactally why spend an extra $1500 on a s14 while your unemployeed just save the money

Don’t own a car in university. You’ll be broke as fuck and all your money will go into your car. It’s doable but it kinda sucks unless you make mad cash in the summer.

If you’re hoping to get a job at a Toyota dealership, why don’t you save a bit more and get an IS300 or something when you start your apprenticeship?

That’s part of why I’m holding off on getting another vehicle. I already have an s-chassis, but I plan on getting a truck as a DD and it will be from whatever manuf. I’m working for.

I’m going to a local college 10 minutes away from my home, which my parents are paying for my school, so I need a vehicle, and theres no point in putting 2000 to fix my integra. Only problem is my dad says 93 is too old for a vehicle…

if he doesn`t want you to get a s13 then grab a s14 you could probably get one for 4500 in decent shape

…You just said it’s 10 minutes away from home. How the hell does that justify a vehicle.

shrugs Whatever. My parents didn’t give me everything, so I suppose I wouldn’t know.

It’s 10 minutes away, “I could” get there easy without a car, but I still want to purchase a s13/14. Plus how will I get to work everyday? expect my parents to cart me around like I’m 12 years old? I’m paying for my car, and my insurance.

Hmm well, can’t go wrong with a rwd platform, fwd can be made fast, fun, etc… but it’s just not the same. It’s more fun being rwd… so what do we have out there in the <5k category… pretty much just used mr2 mk1 and rhd mr2 mk2… and… you guessed it… 240s… pontiac fiero is more expensive/rare… there isn’t much in the <5k category.

If you can find a CLEAN rust-free stock 240 manual… more power to ya… they are easy cars to work on…

Don’t waste money on ‘popular’ parts, rims, etc… until you get to know the car, then do the research and get stuff that actually enhance performance and not just looks… if you want a daily try not to go too crazy, can’t really have it all (both track and daily, unless you strike a balance)… being a mechanic you would probably want to tinker with it and go all out (maybe?), but keep it all in mind. If you do get a 240, don’t get too carried away or else nothing will be left of one (like mine lol… it’s less a 240 than it ever could be… tons of money spent and still not done but its fun hehe).

Maybe if you’re lucky you could get a non turbo rx7 fd… that would kick ass… much better deal than a 240 100% down the line too…

I suggest securing a job and then buying a car.

Having 5k to buy a car is nice, but you need to be making money to pay the gas, insurance, repairs, etc.

As for being in school and having a car. I don’t see a big deal and haven’t had any problems. It does not suck as DJPyro put it. For me anyways.

And if you’re not a complete tool, you can manage your money easily.

You can get a clean s13 with sr for 5 if you tried.

I’d go with whichever car you prefer. The age is not a big deal when you find cars that have been taken care of.

My first car was an s14, then 2 s13’s after that.

yeah, I would want a complete stock car, completely clean. I would defently want to tinker with it lol but to some extent, not putting everything I make into it, but money will be going into it.