A good first car with potential?

I feel kinda stupid posting this here but whatever. You guys know more about cars then I do…

A good first car with potential? - Yahoo Answers

I posted this question on Yahoo Answers because I didn’t know where else to ask…

Well I turned 16 last month and I’m gonna go and get my G1 sooner or later and I’ve been thinking about saving up for a nice car so hopefully I won’t be stuck driving a PT Cruiser with the wood grain or a Grand Caravan throughout my University years (probably, hopefully?)…

Basically I want a nice car that I can tune and work on, make it like a little project or something. Not really for racing maybe but just for fun, something to do and the ability to say my car is faster then yours with confidence. lol

What I’m currently looking at is either saving up for a 240sx/Silvia (any of’em, I like them all) or a 3rd or 4th gen Camaro. But there’s so many other cars out there too… Skylines, RX7s, even a CRX would be nice (done properly though… some are just pathetic).

I don’t know enough about everything to answer this question myself. I’m still learning about what does what in a car (yay auto class). Anyways, when I have the money, my decision will be based on this: which car can I get the most out of and have the most fun with that won’t cost me a fortune to do so? If that makes sense…

What cars do you guys recommend? Really, you can probably list me any car and I’d like it, but please give me a reason why!

My price limit for a car would probably be like $12,000 MAX… I think anything more would take too long to save up for, there aren’t really any good paying jobs for a guy in school I don’t think. Even that might be too much…

Anyways, in terms of what I’m looking for the most in a car is performance then looks and interior. I want like a fast car but I don’t want it to look like crap at they same time, you know? Interior-wise, it just needs to be clean I guess… All I would probably do to the interior is just add a good sound system and some other minor things. That would come last though…

Anyways, feel free to help me. Thanks :slight_smile:

well your on a 240 web site all cars on her worht $12000 are going to be really fast and clean if your in high school you probably wont save that much trust me weve all been there 12gs turn to about 3 even with 3 you can get an ok s13 wiht 200,000kms if you manage to save up 12gs you can get a s14 with sr sound system whatever it all your determination and likings

Yah, 12 000 is alot of money. A “good” 240 only costs 3000, well for an s13. But if I were you id just get a newer civic, or an Acura of some type. They will cause you the least amount of problems.

With that budget, import an LS1 Z28/Trans Am from the states (they’re much cheaper down there, and generally in better shape, and since they were made in Canada, really don’t need anything changed to pass inspection).

You’re going to get a fast car with tons of potential. You’ll likely have some cash left over for springs/rims/cam/whatever as well.

300zx, Mr2 TT, mitsubishi 3000GT are some nice cars

If I were to get a 240sx it probably would be a S13 with a S13 Silvia conversion or a S13 Fastback with a 180sx Kouki conversion (if that’s right :/). S14s, I don’t know… I’m always iffy about how it looks… Some of them look nice and some don’t :S

If I were to get a 4th gen Camaro I’d get one with a LS1 engine… I was gonna ask whats the difference between a Z28 and a SS but it’s just looks apparently (google:)).

Anyways, yea $12,000 is like a lot of money. If I plan to buy a car that expensive it will be after I graduate and I’ll have to work the next 2 years to save up that much, probably longer because of school. Hopefully I’ll find a car that I like that’s cheaper.

I don’t want to buy a stock car (well maybe a Camaro) either because parts are expensive and they add like no value so if I were to sell I’d be out a lot. Plus I don’t want to be in over my head or something. I’m still learning things…

Honda civic.

with 12g’s i’d recommend an sr20 kouki, and after u save up a couple more do the s15 conversion (if ur worried about looks) cuz if u dont like the kouki front end (which is still sick) the s15 front end will just make it look pure SEX…plus the sr20 is a fast motor…

…otherwise an FD rx7, or an r32 skyline gtr…if u wanna go RHD, keep in mind ur 16 and any of these cars will rape u on insurance lol

Those are all terrible options.

s14 Kouki w/ sr20. done.

When I do get a car it’ll be under my parents’ name so insurance should be a little cheaper… And if I keep it garaged in the winter do I still need to pay insurance? Hmm… I’ll save that question for another time :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve always liked Skylines (been playin’ Gran Turismo since I was like 5, favourite car lol) and RX7s are awesome too but they’re more expensive cars and the parts are too… Right?

You can leave fire and theft on a car over the winter, its like 20$ a month.

you DON’T want an rx7 as your first car.

volvo 240. sick as fuck!

I can relate perfect. If you need any questions answered pm me.

you DONT want an RX-7 or a GTR as your first car.

I have a pretty sweet Acura Integra for sale lol. Would make a great first car.

If your gonna be going to school just get what the schools girls like. whatever it is just put the sound system in there and it will get you to school fast enough/quicker than public transit thats 4sure. you dont need speed at your age you need experience… we dont need anymore statistics

I’m no idiot, if I couldn’t handle a car then I wouldn’t buy it. By the time I save up enough money to buy my own car, I’m sure I’ll have enough experience. I’ll be cruisin’ in the Grand Caravan until then :/:

you wouldnt know if you can handle it til u actually bought and owned it :)… grand caravans are great still ask turboner on this forum hes got tonnes of stories lol

get a crx …
or Protege or mazda 3

insurance wise 4 doors are good. like an older subaru impreza might do very good all year round

Don’t be a bitch, get a Z28 =p.

Honestly, my first car was a 95 Z28 and it was awesome. I miss that car, should have never sold it.

Skylines will be expensive to repair. RX7s have lots of reliability stories, so I’d keep your distance for now. Both are nice cars, but would be good to have as a second car down the road.

If you’re going to be driving long distances in the winter, you need to think of something good in the snow too. A Z28 may not be that (though I did drive mine with all seasons during the winter, and lived). I think it was more manageable than the 240 w/Blizzaks that I have now though, so that’s weird.

This is all “dream” talk… 16 y.o thinking of his first ride we’ve all been there but you gotta be realistic when considering this.

Common mistake or lack of consideration with considering your first car… INSURANCE.

Unless the car is going under your parents name, get ready to bend over… my advice to you before even considering which car to get is keep a clean record while driving that caravan and even then prepare for non lube anal rapage by the insurance company (with some vehicles).